Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 questions:

1. How white is the white side of your typical store-bought blackout cloth? As in gain, that is.

2. Instead of using a wooden frame, can I simply use multiple pieces of gaff tape to pin the cloth directly to my wall and stretch it out smooth, then go over that and frame it with a gaff-tape border?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Can't answer question 1. A lot of people here know a LOT more about that than I do.

As for question 2, I doubt tape would hold a screen to the wall, especially with the tensions involved, but staples work perfectly. It's best to have the projector on while doing this- and it is a two-person job.

I used an overlong piece- gave myself plenty of spare screen, and use a curtain to mask.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Blackout cloth is around 1.0 gain. If you paint it with good quality GESSO, you will get around 1.1. GESSO is a primer for artist's canvas and is available in tins at any art supply shop. Makes a noticeable improvement compared to raw blackout.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I see a lot of people looking to blackout cloth for a budget screen. I really feel like you are doing yourself a disservice. A lot of materials are out there that are not expensive that will perform considerably better. A lot of the Dazian materials are just a tiny bit more expensive will do better, as will parkland plastics.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
coolhand,

Good info. Which Dazian material would you recommend for the Panny 300U?

·
Registered
693 Posts
It depends on what you want. I just went from an 80x46 blackout cloth frame to a 94x52 Dazian Celtic Cloth screen and absolutely love it with my AE100. If you don't want your screen to be acoustically transparent (Celtic Cloth), then they offer a Matte White material that I heard is amazing. As a point of reference, I paid $34 for a piece of Celtic Cloth 80" wide and 3 yards long. I paid almost that for the blackout cloth and was barely able to make the 80x46 screen.

·
Registered
632 Posts
bugman72 - I'm very interested in using the Celtic cloth so that I can put my center channel behind it. If you placed your center behind the cloth do you notice any difference in the sound?

Thanks - Mike

·
Registered
693 Posts
I did hear a difference...but very little. The highs were a bit more subdued, but with a bit of re-EQing, the problem is solved. The biggest difference that I noticed was the localization of dialog on the screen. That alone is worth all the negatives that the cloth might create, although there are very few in my book.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Did you put black cloth behind the Dazian to improve contrast?

What sort of framing did you do? I concerned about the frame showing though the screen. Also concerned about having a flat screen.

DIY just seems more fun than buying a finished product - can always do that later if I don't like the result of my work.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I haven't put anything behind the screen yet. I'm still in the building process of the HT and haven't skinned (drywalled) the walls yet. Once the walls are built, I'm going to use black velveteen (cheap alternative to black velvet) and cover the entire wall, less the insets for the front three speakers.

As for the frame, I built a standard 1x3 frame with mitered corners and chose not to put a center vertical brace in. Instead I used flat 2 1/2" corner plates on all four corners along with 2" corner brackets on the inside corners to stiffen everything up. Then, I wrapped the entire frame in black velveteen. Once the frame was wrapped, I stretched the fabric. Right now, you can see where the black frame is. The colors are a tad better as well as black levels. Once the front wall is covered, you won't be able to see the difference.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where can one order this Dazian cloth from? Can you just go to your local fabric store to get it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok i called Dazian direct and you can only get it from them. For Dazian Celtic Cloth they quoted me at $5.75 (US Dollars) per yard. It would be 3 times as much for me at least since the price is in American Dollars. Being in Canada i would have to pay shipping, duty and taxes. Considering i only paid $9 for my blackout cloth after a 40% discount it doesnt seem worth it.

Unless someone can send me a sample.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My Blackout screen had accumulated some dust, so instead of carefully trying to wipe it off with a mildly damp cloth (I suppose this would have been the prudent thing) I decided to experiment:

(I knew I had to paint it anyway, so I figured what the heck)

Instead of water, I tried a solution of very diluted bleach (to see if it would make the screen any brighter)

The result? That slight sheen that new blackout has is gone (too bad) and it looks a bit duller, but I think it also removed that very subtle blue tinge as well. Perhaps blackout is made with some type of coating that gives it that slight sheen and I ended up removing it. Does this make any sense? Overall, I can't say that I recommend anyone do this!

david

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.