AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
All I can say is that the samples of Mermet Flocke fabric are very nice with great texture and color. I've contacted several companies about these shades and have recieved some conflicting information. All agree that the side channels and bottom channel will stop light at these location. The disagreement seems to as to how effective they are at the top around the roller. Some companies are telling me that the roller box will leak light and that a valence is required around it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
This thread hasn't progressed very far because the original poster specified "good quality and cheap". There isn't much way to go with that criteria. Cheap and blackout don't go together in the same sentence.:)

There have been countless threads on blackout shades on this forum, but the search function doesn't seem to turn them up very well.

There are numerous ways to achieve blackout, but you need to indicate what your target budget is, what the window size is, what the frame is like, and any other information that might be helpful.

Also, many home theater people want the blinds to be motorized remote control. The word cheap really disappears from the radar screen at that point.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bulldogger
Some companies are telling me that the roller box will leak light and that a valence is required around it.
I think one should assume this is true. It might be possible to avoid a valance by using weather stripping or something else to stop the light at the top. Also, different brands handle the covering of the roller in different ways. For instance, I believe BTX has a metal shroud that covers the roller and connects to the side channels. I haven't seen one in a dark room, so I don't know if it is effective or not.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by longshanksdvd
I can pay whatever on the shades if they work , but I wanted to make sure there isnt really cheap ways to do it. Does 320.00 per small window sound right?
What is the window size? Shades are priced by the demensions and 1/8" can change the price, although only slightly per increment.

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
Longshanks, try www.automatedshade.com as well . . 38 by 72 shade was quoted at 242.00 with a 2 inch roller and no side channels and 72 by 72 at 345.00. Side channels add extra 75.00. They have a fabric called "stop light" which is consiberably cheaper. It looks good in some colors but none of it matchs the quality of the Mermet fabric.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I recommend Ginny, http://www.gwdesign.info

Her professional roman shades block out 100 % light with a outside mount and they are a great accent to my theater.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have used the Redi-shade in white. I bought a black one, but the kids played with it before I got it hung. :)

THey look really good for a temporary window shade. And for les than $10.00 for any window less than or equal to 48x72. It is a really good deal.

Mainly, we were not sure what we wanted to do for window treatments, and did not want to get rushed into getting anything we might regret.

They attach at the top of the window with adhesive, like a sticky note. I have found that I prefer to stick them to the glass, but sticking them to the painted drywall worked fine too.

The shades are paper. You can get them at Home depot/lowes. You cut them to fit with scissors. I cut the shade just a little wide, so that it rubs the side of the window opening. That helps support the weight.

It may be the permanent shade in my equipment room...

If you don't want the black to show outside, they are cheap enough that you could hang a white one on the outside and a black one on the inside...

Best Regards,

Doug

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used Hunter Douglas duettes with black-out lining for windows (those are about $150-200 per window. Where it gets expensive is for the sliding glass doors -- a ten foot span. I used their verti-glide, which is like a duette mounted vertically on a track. For 120 inches, it was about $1,100, installed. I can black out the room on a sunny day.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I will vouch for what Bruce61 said. We have those in our master bedroom and it blacks out sunlight very nicely. Especially, when your window faces the East and you like to sleep in. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.