AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon! I have an older Sharp XR-10S that runs the home theater in the house I recently bought. The media room is in the basement with no light coming in, but the walls & ceiling are light neutral colors.

The picture is serviceable for kids movies on the DVR, sports, etc., but sometimes the dark colors all morph together in dark scenes. For example, we have recently been catching up on Game of Thrones and many of the scenes are low-light with the characters wearing dark colors. A lot of the detail is often lost in those scenes... kind of like a film negative but without that green effect. Hope that makes sense. We are streaming it from the computer to the projector in the media room. Everything looks great when we stream to the plasma upstairs.

I believe the brightness is all the way up already, and I not even sure if that's the proper adjustment anyway. I'm in the process of reading AVS and other websites to find the best value on a new or used 1080p projector $500-$800 (suggestions here encouraged!!) but I'd like to continue to use this one in the meantime. As it is now, we just know to watch Game of Thrones and other movies with dark scenes upstairs. Not fun after we put the kids to sleep.

Hope that is enough information. Thanks for the help on this problem and suggestions on the new projector.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Before you look at your projector, I will note that I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be that my cable box (AT&T U-Verse DVR) had outdated firmware. I only noticed this after I purchased an expensive replacement lamp, but forcing the Motorola DVR cable box to do a disaster recovery reboot, which re-downloaded the firmware, resolved the problem. My other boxes must have done it automatically, because I didn't notice the problem on other TVs. This was a known issue for the Motorola VIP-2250 U-Verse cable boxes.

After that, the lamp would be the next potential culprit. It may be too dark, and the low levels are getting crushed, but I'll let more knowledgeable people chime in here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts