AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a HDTV STB and I will most likely want to put the antenna in the attic (two-story house). According to antennaweb.org, all the HDTV stations I want to receive come from either 90 degrees or 107-110 degrees bearing. All the stations but one are no more than 30 miles away but the ABC affiliate is at least 50 miles away.

Anyone in the Blacksburg, VA (or Christiansburg, VA) have experience getting the HDTV signal from Roanoke, VA using an attic antenna? TitanTV.com recommended a Winegard Prostar 40" 15 element (7005A) amplified and directional antenna. However, the Platinum Series Winegard antennae look like a better product given that all the stations are so close in direction.

Also, is there anyone in the area (Blacksburg/Christiansburg, VA) that has an antenna installer that they would recommend? Here's the output from antennaweb.org (I've removed the analog stations and stations outside of my viewing area):

Digital Antenna Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Live Date Compass

Orientation

* yellow WBRA-DT 3 PBS Roanoke VA Mar 15 2003 109°

* yellow WFXR-DT 17 FOX Roanoke VA Jul 1 2003 109°

* yellow WDBJ-DT 18 CBS Roanoke VA Now Live 109°

* yellow WSLS-DT 30 NBC Roanoke VA Now Live 107°

* yellow WPXR-DT 36 PAX Roanoke VA Now Live 110°

* blue WJPR-DT 20 FOX Lynchburg VA Now Live 90°

* blue WSET-DT 34 ABC Lynchburg VA Jan 1 2004 90°

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
570 Posts
All of the stations marked in YELLOW are in the same direction, and should be receiveable by an indoor antenna like the Silver Sensor mounted in your attic.

Another option is the discontinued Radio Shack double bowtie, which you can still find on the shelves of some stores.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at one of the Winegard Platinum antenna (UHF/VHF/FM) as they have good directionality. I'd like to be able to pickup the ABC affiliate (marked in blue) that should go live in early 2004 so I'd rather get as good an antenna as I can now and avoid having to replace it later.

Anyone have any experience with the Winegard Platinum line of antenna. They show good directionality for the channels I need to receive. Now if I can only fit one in my attic space.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.