AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
So, why is this guy shooting at the wall?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I hope the developers suprise us with this one.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain /forum/post/0

...i take it you don't own gears of war...

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
yeah, it probably did as a matter of fact. doom 3 on my considerably less powerful pc had 8x anti aliasing enabled...and 16x anisotropic filtering as well, and that was what, 2 years ago?

the point is, there's no reason to think that with this generation of hardware that the screenshots above were post processed in any way. also, i don't think they look all that hot to begin with...

further, 8x aliasing these days exacts a zero performance hit on framerates. this isn't 2002 we're talking about

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:

yeah, it probably did as a matter of fact. doom 3 on my considerably less powerful pc had 8x anti aliasing enabled...and 16x anisotropic filtering as well, and that was what, 2 years ago?

the point is, there's no reason to think that with this generation of hardware that the screenshots above were post processed in any way. also, i don't think they look all that hot to begin with...

further, 8x aliasing these days exacts a zero performance hit on framerates. this isn't 2002 we're talking about

Umm...There isn't a single PS3 or 360 game with 8XAA. It is actually very intensive on the system.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
i don't know whether they do or they do not for console gaming. all i can speak about is pc gaming, and on modern pcs, 8xaa, 16xanisotropic filtering are a given...

i would have assumed that given the closed architecture and powerful components, the ps3 and 360 would be in the same situation. if that's not the case, i wonder why. is it lack of dedicated memory?

either way, and the point i was trying to make by referencing gears of war, games can and do look every bit as good as those shots (or better) with no shenanigans required...

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:

i don't know whether they do or they do not for console gaming. all i can speak about is pc gaming, and on modern pcs, 8xaa, 16xanisotropic filtering are a given...

i would have assumed that given the closed architecture and powerful components, the ps3 and 360 would be in the same situation. if that's not the case, i wonder why. is it lack of dedicated memory?

either way, and the point i was trying to make by referencing gears of war, games can and do look every bit as good as those shots (or better) with no shenanigans required...

Actually, no. An Athlon 64 FX-60 PC with 2GB of memory and a 1950XTX struggles to achieve 30-40 FPS in certain games with 8XAA and16xAF. PCs running games at those settings represent a very small percent of gamers.

Quote:

yeah, see? i'm right...

http://www.nforcershq.com/article3041.html

every launch game supports 4x aa apparently at the very least...is it so outlandish to assume that 2nd or 3rd generation 360 or ps3 games will support 8x as well?

No, you are not. That article is from May 2005, before the Xbox 360 launched. It is not enforced. With the Xbox 360's eDRAm, it is technically able to achieve 4AX without a meaningful performance loss (around 5% at most) but it seems to be difficult to implement. Future games will take advantage of it though. Don't hold your breath for 8AX games that run smoothly anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts

Quote:

What planet are you from?

I don't think you're from Earth.

Is there even a handful of 360 or PS3 games with 4xAA?

I don't think so.

Bethesda tried it and it ran Oblivion like a slideshow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.