AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks --

I don't know where to start with this, I figured I'd start here with all the smart people around!

So Bladerunner is one of my favorite movies, has been for years. I've always liked the music, particularly the incidental stuff which is generally not available. Now I've got the "Esper" edition bootleg soundtrack in FLAC and one of my most favorite tracks is the music from Taffy Lewis' bar ... it's a very electronic/ethnic mix, middle-eastern sort of flavor with vocals apparently by Demis Roussos (sp?).

My question is, for those of you who are familiar with the music I'm talking about, do you have any idea of other artists with similar styles I can check out?

thanks for any info!!

Rob K

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
The Bladrunner soundtrack is by Vangelis, right? I haven't listened to it in a long time, but I think it was them.

The album Reprise, by Vangelis is a nice mix of the "best of" so to speak, if that is what you're looking for.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklingsten /forum/post/18141480

one of my most favorite tracks is the music from Taffy Lewis' bar ... it's a very electronic/ethnic mix, middle-eastern sort of flavor with vocals apparently by Demis Roussos (sp?).

Everybody loves that Cue, but it's one of the rare times V did anything with that type of feel. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Vangelis, Jean-Michel Jarre, Brian Eno, Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk... All excellent electronic, yet accessible, music.

Some more recent stuff: Delerium, Blue Stone, Sleepthief...

Also check out the music from Armand Amar, it's beautiful. He scored the film Home

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Vangelis's music is the most organic among all electronic oriented bands and soloists IMO. His movie soundtracks are among his best works.

·
23,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo /forum/post/18143001

Vangelis, Jean-Michel Jarre, Brian Eno, Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk... All excellent electronic, yet accessible, music.

Some more recent stuff: Delerium, Blue Stone, Sleepthief...

Also check out the music from Armand Amar, it's beautiful. He scored the film Home

Don't forget Larry Fast - Synergy. He's my favorite of the "old timers" of electronic music.

larry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good stuff folks, thanks very much ... I have most of what was listed, some Tangerine Dream, lots of Vangelis, everything Jarre, Oldfield, some Enigma, most Kraftwerk, most Delerium .... but someone threw out a few that I am going to check out right away that I never heard of - Bluestone, Sleepthief and Amand Amar. I was hoping maybe some regional artist might fit as well, from there in the Middle East - Egypt, Syria, Morocco, etc... the only one I know is Khaled, who did the cop chase music in Fifth Element. Great stuff! Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklingsten /forum/post/18145108

... I was hoping maybe some regional artist might fit as well, from there in the Middle East - Egypt, Syria, Morocco, etc... the only one I know is Khaled, who did the cop chase music in Fifth Element. Great stuff! Thanks again!

Gotcha. I was thinking you were wanting to stick in the soundtrack realm, or the composers of soundtracks.

You might like the Sahara Lounge or the Arabic Groove, you can get both from Amazon. If you go to their Amazon pages, I'm sure you'll start to get linked to others from the Amazon recommendations. (Also look for Putumayo World Music as the label)

·
Registered
29,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP /forum/post/18141665

The Bladrunner soundtrack is by Vangelis, right? I haven't listened to it in a long time, but I think it was them.

FYI, Vangelis is a "him," not a "them."

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/18146662

FYI, Vangelis is a "him," not a "them."

I know, I know... you're correct, it just sounds more "right" to me that way. My friends get me on that for others as well, like Moby, for some reason it just sounds better to use "them".

·
Registered
10,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE /forum/post/18143284

China, Anartica & 1492 are good ones

"Alexander" is worth mentioning here, so is "The Bounty" and of course "Chariots Of Fire".

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP /forum/post/18147524

I know, I know... you're correct, it just sounds more "right" to me that way. My friends get me on that for others as well, like Moby, for some reason it just sounds better to use "them".

What about Wendy Carlos?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP /forum/post/18145446

Gotcha. I was thinking you were wanting to stick in the soundtrack realm, or the composers of soundtracks.

You might like the Sahara Lounge or the Arabic Groove, you can get both from Amazon. If you go to their Amazon pages, I'm sure you'll start to get linked to others from the Amazon recommendations. (Also look for Putumayo World Music as the label)

Again, thanks so much for the recommendations; from everyone!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.