Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT:

Problem generally fixed by updating to 0503 bios found here
ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5E-VM_HDMI/

-------

Hi,

I have an issue that seems to be pretty common in Vista unfortunately, specifically when waking from sleep mode all I get is black screen. This is whether I power down/up from keyboard or remote or mouse. I hear it power up and everything but that's it. Sleeping works great, fans power down and everything.

Here are my specifications:

Vista x32 (all updated, fresh install)

P5E-VM HDMI (latest BIOS update)

HIS ATI 2600xt running component out to my LCD TV (Catalyst 8.1 drivers)

Here are the things I have tried (separately and in combination with each other):

1. Set the ATI External Event service from Automatic to Manual (essentially shutting it off)

2. Set in the the BIOS to enable VGA BIOS post (or whatever that is called)

3. Set in BIOS for the order of the video cards to be PCI/PEG

4. Tried various sleep modes, S3, S4, S3+4 hybrid all producing same result.

5. Tried the MCE Standby Tool (the latest Beta with updates for Vista)

Am I missing anything else? Is it just Vista? Will SP1 fix this? Or should I try an older ATI driver edition?

ANY help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
This is a common issue with Vista, regardless of system components.

There's a hotfix that should correct this for you, but I don't know off hand what the hotfix number is, of course. Try somewhere like the Hotfixshare.com or other hotfix sites where you can get links to hotfixes without having to contact MS.

Alternately you could try installing SP1 RC instead which should probably fix the problem.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I tried all Cat drivers from 7.10-8.1 and nothing worked. Installing SP1 RC now, however from reading at the asus forums (I Have a P5e-VM HDMI) that it might be the latest bios. If SP1 doesn't fix it that's what I'll try next.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SP1 RC1 did not fix it unfortunately. I guess next step is to flash the bios with the older version..

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster /forum/post/13014403

I used to have this also, but fiddled with BIOS voltage and it stopped happening. Try PCIE +0.1?

Thanks for the idea. I don't really see that option though in my bios, though I could be missing it (P5E VM HDMI).

Anyone else have any ideas? I couldn't downgrade the bios using the regular asus utilities unfortunately--anyone know how to get around this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genro /forum/post/13018330

Thanks for the idea. I don't really see that option though in my bios, though I could be missing it (P5E VM HDMI).

Anyone else have any ideas? I couldn't downgrade the bios using the regular asus utilities unfortunately--anyone know how to get around this?

Thanks

Not all boards will have all voltage settings in it, but many have "hidden" settings that you can only access by pressing Ctrl-F1 at the BIOS main screen. I'm not sure if your board has such settings but it's worth a try. Hit that key combo and go into the voltage/frequency settings page in the BIOS see if you have any more options.

Are you overclocking at all? A friend of mine recently had a dreaded Vista sleep problem when he installed a 2nd video card. I believe his solution actually happened when he downclocked his RAM a little (it was overclocked). After that it started working.

As I said that sleep issue with Vista can happen for a variety of reasons and can be a real headache to solve.

As for going to an older board BIOS, I'm not sure why Asus doesn't allow that. Have you tried flashing from the BIOS itself (some BIOSes have this feature)? Or have you tried from DOS? You may need to make a DOS-bootable flash drive and then flash the BIOS from DOS instead. Making the bootable flash drive is tricky, so you'll want to find an HP program that does it for you by doing an internet search. (From all the methods I've tried, the HP utility seems to be the only way to get a flash drive to boot properly.)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genro /forum/post/13018330

Thanks

I have the same MOBO without the ATI and had this problem with the Jan Intel Drivers for the G35. I dropped back to the drivers from Dec and don't have the problem anymore.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I'm not overclocking at all, but I will check that voltage setting still.

I tried flashing the bios using the built in utility as well as from dos and both prevented me from downgrading. Waiting to hear back from asus.

I've applied some additional hotfixes that ATI recommended but nothing helped.

Anyone else have any ideas? Its so frustrating!!! But thank you very much for the responses so far.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’m having the same exact problem with my build except that I’m using Geforce 8600GTS card. I’ve installed VISTA 5 times since Saturday trying different (video, sound, chipset ) drivers, still no luck.

I’m ready to give up and exchange this board for a Gigabyte.

This board is useless for me if I can’t get it to reliably wake from sleep.

Ralph.

BTW Before this “ UPGRADE” I had an AMD Opteron 185 on a MSI K8NGM2 board with the same Geforce 8600GTS card running VISTA without ever giving me a slightest problem.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tried flashing to the older BIOS (0301) and still the same issue! This is really annoying! I'm certain it is an issue from asus since others with the same board have exhibited the problem. So frustrating!!

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster /forum/post/13014403

I used to have this also, but fiddled with BIOS voltage and it stopped happening. Try PCIE +0.1?

I was having a black screen problem with Media Center in Windows MCE 2005 w/ an ATI 2600PRO card. I tried every driver and anything else I could think of to fix it, was just about ready to buy a new card and box this one up. So as a last hope I tried your suggestion. I was shocked when Media Center opened normally. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by *canister* /forum/post/13029296

I was having a black screen problem with Media Center in Windows MCE 2005 w/ an ATI 2600PRO card. I tried every driver and anything else I could think of to fix it, was just about ready to buy a new card and box this one up. So as a last hope I tried your suggestion. I was shocked when Media Center opened normally. Thanks for the info.

Can anyone confirm and explain how to do this with the P5E-VM HDMI MB? I'm just not seeing it, thanks.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wanted to update:

Got in touch with tech support. Their first suggestion was to run the ACPI utility. Didn't work. Now he believes it is my power supply (380w earthwatts, powering an e8400 not overclocked, 2600xt, 2 hd's, 1 opticaL), and he recommended something at least 500w!??! I believe its a crock of sh!t but at this point I'm not sure what to do. I STRONGLY believe it is an issue with the bios/vista/wolfedale processor.

Anyone else at this point have any ideas or thoughts? I don't want to return this board since the PC is already built and this is the only issue, but it really is maddening. Asus' "support" is next to useless.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here is my update:

Ordered GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H ( link ) from Newegg. The board showed up today and I just finished testing everything.

- Vista installed correctly the 1st time (no missing drivers like the ASUS)

- Geforce 8600GTS with the latest NVIDIA drivers works perfectly with this board.

- Realtek ALC889A sounds SO MUCH better than codec on the ASUS.

- The PC will go to sleep after 10 min of inactivity, waking up to record a show 100% reliably.

- The Bios is so much clearer to understand and setup correctly.

The only downside to the Gigabyte board is limited overclocking but the E8400 doesn’t need it.

All the aggravation with the ASUS board (and their Tech support) made me understand why so many people get discouraged by HTPCs.

Needles to say, I’ll never buy another ASUS product .....EVER again.

Ralph P.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also experiencing the same symptoms described by genro. The common denominator between his setup and mine is the P5E-VM HDMI mobo and the E8400 processor.

I also have tried many things including BIOS upgrade to version 0405. The Vista version seems not to be related since the symptoms have been observed in both 32 and 64-bit versions. I have a friend that has the same mobo but with the E6750 and he does not have any problems. Copying my friend's PC BIOS and Vista power management settings didn't help.

My suspicion at the moment is that the BIOS still has problem supporting recently released 45nm processors such as the E8400. The 0301 version of the BIOS did not show correctly the CPU temperature. So there could still be more issues with the BIOS. At least that CPU temperature issue got fixed with the 0405 version.

This problem has been such a pain to me that it inspired me to register as member of the forum and make this my first post.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts