AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a new basement (about 1,000 sf) and will be dedicating a portion of it to a new HT. The basement will be about 17' deep x 70' wide. I have a blank slate in that I can put the HT anywhere and with whatever dimensions would be best. I am not looking to build a massive HT, just something that is nice and reasonable for a family of 5 and the occasional friends. Any suggestions as to how to layout the HT would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
You need to figure out what your requirements are before you can figure out the optimal size. Do you want to sit four people, or eight, or twenty? Is the space multi-use? Is the room for sports? Movies? Music? All three? Once you have figured out what your goals are you can create a plan that will optimize your achievement of that goal.

So if for example you wanted two rows of four plus a back bar area so the room might do well for watching the big game as well as movies, I would build something around max width (17'?) and around 28' in length. For a simple two row theater I'd still use your max length but have the room be about 20-22" in length. Different requirement so different solution.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Post some pics of the layout or a diagram of the basement and you will get plenty of help. I for one would love to have 17' with and about 25-28' deep. looks like Cathan beat me to it.

Nate

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. We are in the very early planning stages so thinking through all of this with others is very helpful. I've attached a very rough drawing of what the basement will look like. It will be located underneath an addition that we are adding to the exsiting house. There is currently a small cellar with steps leading down into the cellar - the "cellar" will get a new door which will lead to the new basement.

As for "needs", we would like the basement to have a playroom for the kids, a bathroom, a small bedroom for guests and a HT. The HT would be mostly for TV and movies, with some gaming as well I guess. I don't think we need a bar in the HT itself. I was envisioning seating for 8-10 people at the most. We don't plan on having a huge budget for the HT and don't need the highest end equipment, just something nice that can maybe be upgraded years from now.

I'm open to all suggestions as to how to lay these things out.

Thanks again.

Basement Layout (Rough).pdf 7.7392578125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoya94 /forum/post/15574668

I'm open to all suggestions as to how to lay these things out.

Thanks again.

The easy decision is to put the theater towards the end without the windows. Use the full width and 25-28 feet as suggested. The bedroom/bathroom should probably be close to the windows/well.

The next decision would be whether you want a closed theater or open in the back for a bar, etc.

I recommend you take a look at some of the galleries and build threads to get some ideas.

Finally, take your estimated budget - and double it.

Have fun.

·
Registered
726 Posts
what is the length from the entry door to the wall on the other end of the rectangle from the well window? If you want to create a bedroom, you'll likely be required to have the window in the bedroom for code purposes. You really need to decide if you want a separate game area and theater. I recommend separate rooms, but some people like to have their bar and pool table and whatever else in a multi-function room. The only right decision is the one that is right for you...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Where is the staircase and/or teleposts ( supports ) ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts