AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy ya'll.

So I'm in the process of having my basement finished, and as part of this, am building a dedicated Home Theatre room. This will not be some 'elite' level room, but will nonetheless be given as much of a pro-touch as possible within my pretty decent budget.

Unfortunately for me / you, I don't have 3-D plans in AutoCAD or some fun application, but what I lack in that, I will make up for in photos.

The premise of the basement is such:

- Home Theatre room

- Nanny suite (we have a live-in nanny coming within the month) with attached bathroom

- Children's play room

- Library / Sitting room / extension of child's play room

The nanny suite shares a wall with the HT room (a load bearing wall), so I will be doing the following to manage that, and to manage the quality of the sound in that room. Two of the walls (front, and left) are exterior concrete walls.

- Double studded wall separating nanny room and HT room (rooms currently separated by the load bearing wall - so add 2nd wall)

- insulate wall and ceiling with fibreglass insulation

- 5/8" DD/GG on all four walls and on wall in nanny suite (5 walls total)

- 1/2" 3D/GG on ceiling

I'm VERY new to this process, but am trying to learn at an accelerated pace so I can make most of the right decisions now rather than later. That being said, I will be soliciting opinions on process and electronics / equipment, should you be willing to provide it. All of your $.02 are appreciated, even if I can't make it happen.

Anyway, enough of that - here's an early floor plan. Things may have changed somewhat, or may not be well explained on the drawing. The HT room will be sealed, with doors at the bottom of the stairs, and at load bearing wall.

Here's the layout. The stairs come down towards the bottom of the picture - with the HT room to the left.

Dimensions of the room (when finished) will likely be about 12ft W x 16.5ft L.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please bear in mind - I'm copying and pasting some of this from my regular forum (OTRaw.com - bunch of ex/current Maxima guys and gals, all cool), so some of the wording may not be in the present tense:

So my contractors started this morning on the full basement finishing. A few structural things to do, and then it's on to the floor and many other things. I just decided today to do a full Home Theatre setup - complete with double-drywall/green glue and 3x DW/GG for the ceiling joists and drywall. Need to confirm that El Contractor (no, he's not Spanish) can do that work.

Starting / early structure work photos:

This will be the kid's playroom. The wall to the right and left will be lined with built-in shelves / cupboards eventually. The top right corner will be a ~5x3 room that houses the gravity pump for the sewer and the electrical panel). It will be insulated.

Same room - just looking to the left (south / back of house). There will be an opening (not a door) leading to that room from the kid's room. That'll also be an open area with some seats and a window bench/seat.

Coming down the stairs from the kid's room. We're tearing out that wall partially to open it up, putting in a bannister and keeping the post at the bottom for structural support. They beefed it up pretty good. The other side is the room for the home theatre. That room will be enclosed.

The Home Theatre room. I've mocked up where the screen will be. That's assuming a 92" screen. I STILL have to decide where I'm going to put the speakers and the equipment rack. I have no room to put a separate closet. Oh well.

Double drywall and green glue on walls, 3xDW/GG on the ceiling. And a double wall on the right side - the wall beside the nanny's room to address noise issues.

The back wall of the HT. Will be walled up with a door:

The other side of the kid's play room, and back side of the house - standing where the nanny's room will be:

Looking towards the HT room / Nanny's room: A storage closet going in under the stairs. I wonder if I could put the AV equipment in there.... Would be kinda tight, and hard to get to, so Nahhh...

Towards the nanny suite and where the bathroom will be. I want the tools those guys have (wild ****):

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The storage closet:

Opening up and beefing up the doorway between the back room and the HT room. The structure wasn't to code there, so we fixed that. They also strengthened the 2x6's fronting the closet. Nice work so far:

Close up of the structural work:

Side view of closet. To the left of that is the entry from kid's playroom to back room:

Put another joist beam support beside stairs to allow for strength:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subfloor going in:

Shimming the sides. Gives me room to hit it with the WallTite spray foam next week. Woot!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Some artist during the home construction. I think it's Jesus! My home is blessed!!!!

Cleaned out the crap from in there - 5 bundles of shingles. Guess I'm set if there's ever a storm...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOOO!!

It progresses, and quickly!!!

They knocked out a wall today, and put in a doorway from the kid's playroom to the back of the house play area. Looks awesome. Starting to really take shape now.

Triple Beam reinforcing in to allow for open banister at bottom of stairs:

Subfloor is coming in very nicely.

Had a Home Theatre expert come in from the local shop today. Gave me some ideas, and we figured out a spot for my equipment rack:

Some crap outside - and my dirt pile!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had thought about maybe going with under the stairs for the equipment rack, but now I think I am going to go in the back left corner. We have this stupid water line right at the bottom of the stairs which will necessitate building out from the wall anyway, so why not enlarge that, build it into the wall, and then build the equipment rack on top of it (so that it's in the back left corner, beside the door as you enter the room from the bottom of the stairs.

So - that means no more under-the stairs rack.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some progress and some choices:

Looked at lighting today:

I think I'm going with 4 of the sconces on the right for the HT room:

****** picture, but this 'track' lighting for the HT room (no pot lights):

I think I've decided to go with a drop ceiling in the HT room, with acoustical tile, Roxual foam and spray foam in the ceiling to deaden the sound. Sure, I could do DD/GG and RSIC clips, but realistically, I may want to get up in the ceiling in there, so why not make it accessible. Found a place that is going to be able to get me black T-bar and ceiling tiles too

Some bathroom tile choices. Finding one that carries both a rectangular tile (~8x12), a 2x2 and a bigger (18x18 / 20x20) has been hard. I might 'settle' for these - with the dark on the shower interior and partition wall (for the shower - a mix of the 12x12 and the 6x6 - no pattern stuff), the 2x2 on the shower floor, and the 20x20 white ones on the bathroom floor itself.

They are pretty close to done the floor, and have started to place stuff for the interior walls:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More to follow, but they tore down the drywall and insulation on the exterior walls (non-concrete) in preparation for the spray foam (this Friday).

Then I had insulators come in and hit the whole basement ceiling. Makes a serious difference in sound down there. Home Theatre room will be insulated once I have it wired (post-spray foam / framing).

Better view:

The basement feels smaller now, because I've lost that 10" of ceiling space. But you can totally tell how much quieter the floor sounds upstairs. The place just feels 'tighter' already. Exciting.

FYI - The red piping is for the baseboard water heaters. We use oil here (no natty gas in Halifax, well -just arriving, but little infrastructure right now). Those pipes run from the furnace to the baseboards and circulate the heat.

They're going to strap the ceiling with 1"x4" anyway, so it won't be in the way for drywalling.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They framed in the bathroom yesterday, and strapped the ceiling in a few rooms

Here's the can:

This is the shower wall. We're doing a walk-in tiled shower down there. The nanny gets some post headquarters.

CHANGE OF PLANS: We're going to do a glass block wall there instead, likely. The wall they built wasn't that strong and with tile on both sides would be kinda floppy. We changed it to a glass block structure instead (with same dimensions I think).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So today they hit it with the blue spray foam (Walltite):

Action shot:

Back corner:

Electrical Room / Sewage pump room:

Towards the HT Room:

Smurfalicious:

Looking out from the bathroom:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So today's progress (framing the place, strapping ceiling) was stalled, as there was a workplace accident.

While one of the guys was strapping the ceiling (my main contractor, Pat), his helper (Avert) bent down to get something from the floor. Pat lowered his nail gun, not realizing Avert was there, and when Avert stood up, he hit his head on the gun, triggering the nail. The nail shot out, grazing his skull and landing him with 5 stitches on the back of his head. I was upstairs in the office, and heard a "AUUUUGGHHH!!!!" and then Pat comes running up the basement stairs to tell me he's taking him to the hospital. ****ing near tragedy in the place today. :noes: :noes:

Anyway, Pat came back and strapped up a bunch more of the ceiling, and started framing the bedroom wall when Avert called from the hospital to tell him he was ready. They decided to pack it in for the day - back tomorrow to finish framing.

In the meantime, I took the liberty of going to look at chairs at La-Z-Boy. This is the only one they had that fit, but damn it was comfy. In remeasuring the room, it's unlikely I can do a 4-wide chair :tear: so I'll likely do a loveseat and 2 recliners.

This was the model: La-Z-Boy Gibson. Looks a little 'buttony', but it was ****ing comfy - especially when you have your hands clasped behind your head leaning back - just the perfect contour. They have a brown (same as shown), burgundy and taupe in pre-cut leather for cheaper than custom, so might consider the brown or burgundy.

This is the burgundy (or very similar) - not the right chair though:

Picked the carpet style as well:

This is the style:

And going with the black on the top left:

And a little something special came today from UPS:

60 tubes of Green Glue, and 6 of SilentSeal:

Close up of the sconce - picked 4 of these up last week:

Today's actual build progress:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of course, you're all HT fans here, so I'm sure you're more interested in the electronics side of things, and this is where I'm a little at a loss. I live in Nova Scotia, and there really is not a lot of selection out here. The main lines carried by local retailers include:

SPEAKERS:

- B&W

- Monitor Audio

- Energy

- Paradigm (Reference/Signature/Monitors)

- Angstrom

- Klipsch

- Polk

- Mirage

- JMLab

- Simaudio Moon

RECEIVERS:

- Denon

- Pioneer Elite

- Yamaha

- NAD

- Cambridge Audio

- Anthem

PROJECTORS:

- Panasonic

- Epson

-

Two stores are:

http://www.peakaudio.ns.ca/index1.html

and
http://www.glubes.ca/

I know VERY LITTLE about this stuff, and am JUST beginning to audition speakers, so I don't know what I like.

I think my budget is going to be in the $10,000 - $15,000 range range, and should include:

- Receiver

- 5.1 system (with plans to add 2nd sub and 2 rears at a later date)

- Projector

- Screen

- Line Conditioner

Plus another $5000 or so for furniture

Please feel free to recommend me stuff based on that lineup, and that budget range. I'm willing to go ID, but won't be able to listen to that before hand.

I have listened to the Paradigm 683s so far, and the Klipsch RF82, and both sounded very nice, although the Klipsch sounded a little loud to me (maybe the horn-driven tweeters).

I don't really know what I'm listening for, although I'm hearing the terms 'forward', 'bright', 'British sound', etc.

I have posted another thread previously, thinking that the AV123 Rockets were going OFF sale, and that can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1049147

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far, and to those who will help going forward. Your input is ALWAYS appreciated.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think this will be the layout of the room now - with the furniture. Wish there was room for a 4-wide seating, but that's 137" across, and I have about 143" to play with. That would be too tight at the sides.

·
Registered
570 Posts
In your 7th photo, there appears to be a crack in the foundation that has been sealed with black tar from the inside?

If so, you should consider sealing it from the outside where it is more effective. In fact once you have done that using the appropriate materials, it is good "forever". My neighbor had that problem, he fixed it about 10 years ago and it has been trouble-free ever since. I just want to mention it so you don't get any moisture later.

BTW have your speakers arrived yet?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/14339927

With the nanny suite in close proximity to the HT what are your plans for sound proofing? Insulation doesn't count. Didn't see any stagger studding going on.

Sorry - that's in the first post, but hasn't been built yet.

- Doing a double wall with 2 inches of space between the walls.

- On both sides of the wall (well, both outer sides) will be DD/GG

- Fibreglass insulation between the studs in the 2 walls

- Ceiling will have fibreglass, and then 3xDrywall w GG between each layer

- Door will be steel pre-hung and weather stripped to seal.

Hopefully this will help. If not, I guess she'll have to suffer a little.... lol

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry S /forum/post/14339991

I'm personally a fan of the Energy Veritas speaker line - I recommend you try to give them a listen.

I'll see if I can give them a listen. Not sure if they're available locally (I think they have the RC series, and the lower-end Energy stuff).

Thanks for the recommendation. Will check.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burke /forum/post/14340035

In your 7th photo, there appears to be a crack in the foundation that has been sealed with black tar from the inside?

If so, you should consider sealing it from the outside where it is more effective. In fact once you have done that using the appropriate materials, it is good "forever". My neighbor had that problem, he fixed it about 10 years ago and it has been trouble-free ever since. I just want to mention it so you don't get any moisture later.

BTW have your speakers arrived yet?

Hey Steve,

Good eye! That was a 'hole' that was sealed with Permacrete, which looks much darker than it actually is (and is thus misleading). It was actually where the rebar was I think. Hasn't been a problem in over 3 years (was fixed before final payments).

The other nice thing - we're located on the top of a built hill with great grading and it's really rocky around here so the drainage is excellent. Apart from the rain, we don't have any water issues (and rain is drained away from the house).

If you want, I can throw up an exterior pic (not of that spot, but the house).

1 - 20 of 172 Posts