AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys, I have been a long time follower of this site, but just recently joined this is by far teh biggest and best community i have ever been to in that everyone is so will to help and give ideas and info.

Anyways, My wife and i just recent bought a house after fighting with the bank for 8 months on it we finally got it, It was a repo house that had mold issue, but as we were fighting with the bank over it we found out from my parents that my God Parents used to own it and live there. The house is having the mold removed by a professional company right now while we are on vacation for thanksgiving. The Basement has a room that will be our Media/Theater room. I believe the room is 18x15, has double doors going into it, has some tile and a drop ceiling, the tile and the ceiling are the first to go, but wanted some input and advise as to what you would do to this room. I plan on haveing a projector and screen. we are also going back and forth on carpet or wood lamenent (spelling?) and the color we want to paint it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Blaze98 - looks like a cool site. Just an empty canvas waiting for the HT touch. Where you at with your build. Look forward to seeing what you do!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the lack of updates. as you can see in the pictures, we have done alot of gutting and replacing of drywall the carpet is gone, the tile is coming up now, with the new baby here (makes number 3!) we have to to slow a little on the theater as we are also doing the rest of the house, it is functional at this time but is kind of thrown together as these pics are a few months old.

we have a love seat and the 7.1 system setup to get me by until we can finish it. i will try to post some updated pics. We priced carpet and looked at paint yesterday, thinking of doing a dark brown (mocha or something like it.)

after being on vacation for 10 days, sat down to watch a movie and got nothing, the HDMI port on the the LG 42 inch monitor, some how stopped working and i get no signal at all to the receiver, so i hooked the tv directly to the Blu Ray player still got nothing, so i tried with the component cables and it is working that way for now, my question is... we are wanting to put something alot better in there, my original idea was a Optoma HD20 projector, with the room size it may or may not be a good idea, the ceiling is kinda low, but it would be far enough back and so would the couch that we shouldnt have issues with the picture being blocked by people sitting on the couch because, correct me if im wrong, but cant you mount it high up and project it down at an angle and still have a good picture? or other option is a Mitsubishi 73 inch DLP rear projection, we just bought a 60 inch Mitsubishi for our living room and we love it. My wife thinks I will regret the projector, but it will be half the price of the DLP, looking for some opinions had planed to spend about 1400 on the tv and i think i can get the Optoma for about 650-700 range. any thought or suggestions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update... havent updates in a long time
I ended up with a 73 inch Mitsubishi DLP, and i love it. got it home and set it up and it looks great below are the pics of it right after we got it.

we were about a week away from buying the carpet to install in the theater room, and i removed the cabinet to build the media rack, and we found mold. turns out the mold remediation company didnt do everything they were supposed to and some of the mold was not taken care of. so when it was all said and done I found mold in the theater room, bathroom and computer room. and our mold guy is in jail for multiple DWI's. so it looks like i will be doing the mold remediation. here are some picks of what it looks like as of today, the theater has been temporarily moved to the kids play room.

Here is where the tv is now until we get this fixed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.