AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KGW Portland will simulcast tonights Blazers game in HD! Yahoo!

Anyone who can get KGW, if you want to be notified of an HD event via email, please send a request to Brenda Buratti, her email is: [email protected] and ask her to put you on her HD notify list.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Now if we can only convince KGW to simulcast the ASCN games on their Digital channel ? Heck, since ATT is balking at putting on ASCN, maybe having the signal in HD on Digital KGW would allow HD capable fans to have Blazer parties and create a buzz both for ASCN and for HDTV

Michael

·
Registered
497 Posts
If someone knows the satellite and transponder for Blazers away games in HD, I'd appreciate the info. Those of us with UM boxes could watch. I would be glad to pay for ASCN but until I can, I'd like to see some NBA in HD even watching the backhauls.

Thanks,

Al Keown

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I noticed that the Leno show last night was not in HD either. Also their entire evening broadcast on 46.1 was the same as 46.2. Usually they have their HD loop stuff running all the time on 46.1, something was different last night.

Dave

·
Registered
125 Posts
I e-mailed ASCN asking why there was no HDTV Blazer boradcast lastnight. Mr. Hazell of ASCN replied very quickly. See his response below:

"Yes there was. We had problems coordinating KGW's high def digital receiver

with the digital uplink truck. We also had problems receiving it here at

ASCN. We're working out what happened today and I've forwarded your e-mail

along to KGW.

Thanks for letting us know you're watching HD. It's good to know there are

HD viewers out there."

Jon Hazell

Chief Engineer

ASCN

910 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.

Portland, Oregon 97232

(503) 963-3801

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I emailed KGW first thing this morning but have not had a reply from them yet. Normally they are very responsive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also contacted ASCN and they gave me a similar response. Hopefully KGW just had a small glitch and it will get worked out. ------

Marissadad,

What kind of receiver are you using in Keizer and what type of OTA antenna? I'm getting ready to mount an antenna, but not sure if I should get something different before I climb on the roof.

Brian

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just recieved this reply from KGW:

We ended up having a technical problem last night between our receiver and the Blazer Broadcasting encoder which wasn't apparent until we tried to downlink the signal. We were unable to pull down the true HD signal and ended up having to just upconvert the analogue signal. We're working on the problem with the Blazer technical folks so we can deliver the next offered HD game in true HD.

Regards,

Brenda Buratti

KGW Program Director
[email protected]

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ms Buratti did respond to my question about simulcasting the ASCN only games on KGW,s digital channel. Apparently the contract that ASCN has with the cable companies that are carryint their signal is exclusive and won't allow any KGW broadcast, even on their digital channel

The funny thing is that these cable systems are owned by Paul Allen. Ah, what tangled webs we weave.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just to give a ray of hope regarding ATT cable.

I was just notified that in the first few months of 2002 ATT is claiming they will be offering HDTV!!!!

All the fighting between ASCN and ATT should end.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
What kind of receiver are you using in Keizer and what type of OTA antenna? I'm getting ready to mount an antenna, but not sure if I should get something different before I climb on the roof.
Brian, I have a Dish 6000 receiver with the OTA 8vsb module hooked up to a Radio Shack 121" combo UHF/VHF/FM boom antenna. It works very well, I live in a 2 story duplex and have a clear line of sight to the North. All of my local digital channels are between 67 & 100 in signal strength. I never have any reception related issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.