AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The green light was blinking when I tried to start my UTV so I unplugged it, plugged it back in and now the light still blinks and in addition the hard drive seems to be looking for something. This is a refurbished unit I just got as an exchange from RCA as my old unit lost a tuner. I have been using it for about a week and had no problems until now.

I have taken it apart and disconnected the power ribbon, removed the fused and am now leaving it disconnected overnight. I also tried inputing code 12357 which caused the lights to change color and then all the lights would go out but the hard drive continued to make noise like it was looking for something. Does anyone have any ideas what I might do to make this work. If all else fails, I can return it under warranty but I would rather not go through the hassle.

Thanks

Pat Thomas

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to get the hard drive noise stopped and the blinking light problem to stop today using reset codes. Now when I start the unit it is trying to connect to the web to check for the latest software. It connects to WebTv ok but then tries to connect to another number and it never completes the connection It is just hangs there and the blinking white light is on along with the solid green light. What can I do to stop this from doing this? I have unplugged it and replugged it in several times but it always does the same thing. Help? Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After talking with Ultimate TV tech folks, they had me do a option, option, option 8675309 which went through the same procedure but used a different phone number for the second call. I got through the procedure and got a message back saying my unit had a hardware failure. I called RCA and have an exchange unit coming since this unit is under warranty-it is an exchanged unit about 30 days old. Another refurbished unit failure but the warranty works.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pat Thomas
I was able to get the hard drive noise stopped and the blinking light problem to stop today using reset codes. Now when I start the unit it is trying to connect to the web to check for the latest software. It connects to WebTv ok but then tries to connect to another number and it never completes the connection It is just hangs there and the blinking white light is on along with the solid green light. What can I do to stop this from doing this? I have unplugged it and replugged it in several times but it always does the same thing. Help? Thanks
Pat,

With what 'reset code' were you able to rid yourself of the blinking green light issue? Was it 12357 or some other code? Additionally, how were you finally able to input the code since the unit seems not to want to take any codes while the green light is blinking?

Thanks much...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By doing an unplug/plug several times, the light eventually stopped blinking but when I connected to the web site and did a hardware check I got a message back saying my hardware had failed. Since the unit was under warranty (refurbished RCA), I got another one and it seems to be working fine. It came with 3.2 software so I had to update it on the web site (no easy task-see my message on this subject on this forum) but I now have it running fine. After studying other pvr options and trying the actual hardware out including Tivo, I decided to expand my UTV capability and now have 5 units installed in my home. The Tivo unit worked ok but it was not a fast to respond to commands and the Dish PVR's are so slow they are not worth having. I hope Microsoft keeps supporting UTV's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.