AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I'm still running two UTVs in my home (I love these units) and last night I tried to delete around 20 hours from "My Shows" as my hard drive was filling up. In the middle of this process, the unit shut down. I unplugged for 10 minutes and plugged it back in. The unit rebooted and only 10 hours was deleted. Then the unit shut down again. I unplugged for another 10 minutes but this time the unit did not work afterwards. When I plug the unit in, I do get a blinking green light, but the unit will not turn on. I've left the unit uinplugged overnight and will try to plug in when I get home tonight.

Does anyone know what the problem and/or fix is to this? I've had this UTV serviced by CCS before, so I know the tuners are most likely not the problem. I'd hate to turn this unit off and go to an old Tivo Series 2 I have in reserve, but it might be time to bury this unit.

I still have one original UTV running that never needed a tuner replacement from when I bought it back in 2002 (although I did upgrade the hard drives).

Thanks for all your responses in advance.

·
Registered
65 Posts
sounds like your Hdrive died

unhook it an see if it wants to power up and dial webtv, if so replace the hard drive, reload the os and see how it works

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'm of the wait and see crowd. Have you troubleshooted your Sat Setup and UTV as a whole?

Yes, disconnect the hard drive and see what it does. If the UTV is stable without the "bad" hard drive, one option is to replace it. It may in fact be your only option. However, I'd like to eliminate any other potential issues first. Disconnect your Tuner Cables and pull the Access Card before testing the hard drive "fix". See how the UTV reacts that way. Make sure your UTV is clean,cool, in the open, internal fan is running... etc.

This info. may give some troubleshooting clues before you replace the hard drive. Many "bad" UTV hard drives are for some reason going "unseen" by the UTV Hardware... They may not be "Bad" in the same sense a PC Hard Drive has gone "bad". A "bad" UTV Hard Drive may be useable in a PC after being "unlocked".

The green blinking light is never a fun problem... but it never hurts to eliminate other possible concerns when it pops up. You might find after disconnecting/reconnecting (Also check the Power Supply/Motherboard ribbon cable (and a possible bad/loose fuse) pull it,check it, reseat it) the hard drive's power and IDE cables the UTV might spring back into life.

Good luck,

·
Registered
719 Posts
When a hard drive starts going, its only symptom is often that it slows down a lot. All these drives do relocation on bad sectors. This can make accessing certain spots on the disk problematic, but not necessary a fatal error.

Perhaps UTV has trouble when doing a disk operation takes an exceedingly long time.

I don't think you can fix one that is password protected. I think you would have to unlock (and clear) it first. But if you were going to go to all that trouble to start over with a 40 gig drive that was empty, you might as well get a new drive. Since you've dealt with CCS before, you should probably have no trouble getting them to fix it, and put in a larger disk at the same time.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yes, considering the cost and trouble of unlocking a "bad" UTV Drive... It can just be simpler to just upgrade to a 120+GB drive (cheap and still somewhat easy to find) and be done with it.

However, if the "problem" is just that the UTV isn't "seeing" the Drive for some reason... After the upgrade the "unseen" drive might be able to be unlocked (if seen) and with some testing be put into service on a PC... instead as a paper weight.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Frys has been unloading their 160gig drives for $40. I bought one and it's quite fast. The 40gig 5400 rpm drives are not as fast and I find that a faster drive works better, not to mention have nearly 4 times the storage in a utv.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts