AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not the type of guy that likes to watch the same movie over and over and over. Therefore, purchasing movies really doesn't make financial sense for me. I'm much better off renting them. I can often get Blu Ray rentals for $2 or less per rental. With 3D Blu Ray being such a niche market (at least for 2010), I'm wondering if Blockbuster or Netflix will even carry them this year?

Anybody heard anything yet?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
It really is just another disc so I'd be shocked if they didn't carry them. Especially since most (if not all) 3D Blu-ray Discs are backwards compatible and will play just fine in 2D on older players. In fact some 3D movies will just come in one skew.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfoci /forum/post/18304281

http://www.blu-ray.com/search/?quick...ies&keyword=3d

Did you bother to take a look at that link before you posted it?

Only 2 "legitimate" 3D Blu-ray posted - and they are not yet available. The rest of the listings are:
  • 3 Disk collections
  • Anaglyph 3D (hardly "legitimate" these days
  • "3-Dimensional Sound Reality"

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
AFAIK most if not all of the 3D dvds(stabndard or Blu-ray) used for the DLP Nvidia 3D solution use Amalglyph images and the PC based player program converts them to checkerboard for outputting to the TVs and I don't consider the Nvida solution which has been around for a couple of years to be illegitmate.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18304740

AFAIK most if not all of the 3D dvds(stabndard or Blu-ray) used for the DLP Nvidia 3D solution use Amalglyph images and the PC based player program converts them to checkerboard for outputting to the TVs and I don't consider the Nvida solution which has been around for a couple of years to be illegitmate.

Good point - but wouldn't you consider the "Nvida solution" to be a special case in today's "3D" context?

This does raise an interesting issue about branding the new (MVC encoding) 3D format. They really will need something to differentiate the new ones from the older analglyph ones.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock /forum/post/18305079

Good point - but wouldn't you consider the "Nvida solution" to be a special case in today's "3D" context?

This does raise an interesting issue about branding the new (MVC encoding) 3D format. They really will need something to differentiate the new ones from the older analglyph ones.

Done!

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at that case, I think the little Blu Ray 3D logo is too small, and located in a place where you're average Joe Schmo might not even notice it. I could easily see people accidentally buying these, having no idea whatsoever that they are the special Stereo 3D versions.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18308501

Looking at that case, I think the little Blu Ray 3D logo is too small, and located in a place where you're average Joe Schmo might not even notice it. I could easily see people accidentally buying these, having no idea whatsoever that they are the special Stereo 3D versions.

That's OK - the average Joe Schmo shouldn't care. They should play just fine on standard (2D) Blu-ray players. The 3D fan will know what to look for.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'm sure Netflix will stock a few copies of every 3D BD released. However, I'm still waiting for them to send me a BD of Inglorious Bastards. They call it a "Long Wait".

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock /forum/post/18308706

That's OK - the average Joe Schmo shouldn't care. They should play just fine on standard (2D) Blu-ray players. The 3D fan will know what to look for.

That 3D version of M vs A does not play on a regular BD player. It won't play on my PS3.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts