AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered DirectTV from Blockbuster for $10; ask for the ‘Para Todos’ system. It comes with the oval dish. It’s on their form, so its no problem getting it. It’s for Spanish programming, but you can get regular programming instead. No long-term commitment just month-to-month and free instillation, plus 52 weeks of free DVD rentals. For new customers only.

I have an RCA 38310 HDTV with built in DirectTV, I only want to active the TV, not the tuner for Blockbuster. My questions:

I don’t understand how the access cards work. Does it make any difference which card I use to active? Does Blockbuster or DirectTV care which I activate in reference to the free install and reduced price turner? I don’t want to activate the TV and then get charged for the install or turner because I activated the TV instead of the $10 receiver.

Also, which sat besides 101 is considered standard for the install, 110 or 119? Does it make any difference to the installer or can I just say I want 119?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Also, which sat besides 101 is considered standard for the install, 110 or 119? Does it make any difference to the installer or can I just say I want 119?
It doesn't matter. Your dish will point at both 101 and 119. The programming package determines what you pay. The 110 slot on the dish is for the Sat-C kit. It's only used for locals in NC.

Quote:
Does Blockbuster or DirectTV care which I activate in reference to the free install and reduced price turner?
I'm not sure. I've never heard of one of these cheap systems without a programming commitment. At least with Dishnetwork, you would have to activate the "cheap" receiver or get charged the full price. Read the fine print of the Blockbuster deal.

-Robert

·
Registered
973 Posts
All you have to do is activate the RCVR that comes with your blockbuster system then call back the next day add your DTV RCVR built in to your TV onto the account. After 30 days you can drop the blockbuster RCVR off your account.The smart cards must be activated with the RCVR they came with.

[This message has been edited by satpro (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello;

You need to read the fine print, I work for one of those two companies and I know for sure there is a contract !!!if you got the oval dish and you live in Arizona let the installer do his thing and let him install the dish, only the 101 & 119 have programing available for you (nothing on the 110) in regards of which ird you want to activate it does not make any difference the longest you activate one !!!!

Good luck & enjoy you TV

Ruben

·
Registered
973 Posts
You must actiivate the RCVR that came with your blockbuster $10.00 system otherwise you will be subject to chargeback. Period!

·
Registered
71 Posts
From my experience and what others have been saying, it's common for the Blockbuster personnel to state that customers are only obligated to pay for one month of programming for $21.99 or more. Apparently Blockbuster doesn't make you sign a DirecTV agreement when you opt for one of these deals in the store, nor do they put in writing anything to back up what they are promising.

Chances are good that the DirecTV installer brings a contract for you to sign before he leaves you with the equipment.

If anyone has already gotten their promo installed, please post what the installer did to "close the deal".

------------------

Turn the sound up and the lights down!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by satpro:
All you have to do is activate the RCVR that comes with your blockbuster system then call back the next day add your DTV RCVR built in to your TV onto the account. After 30 days you can drop the blockbuster RCVR off your account.The smart cards must be activated with the RCVR they came with.
I was not aware of the Blockbuster deal, but I was going to do something similar when I finally decide to bite the bullet and spring for DirecTV. I already own a DTC100 that I use for OTA. I was going to buy a package (oval dish, STB, installation and programming) hook it all up to my analog tv, and add my DTC100 to the mix on my HDTV.

First, am I correct in assuming that the oval dish will support more than one stb (and for that matter, two different types of stb's)?

Second, will I incur an additional expense (or worse, void the package price) when I add the DTC100 as a second stb?

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will be charged $5 a month for each extra receiver that you activate. They like money so they want you to add more receivers.

Yes the oval dish will support more than one receiver. Again they like money so, they make it easy to connect extra receivers. You will need a separate cable for each one receiver. If the TVs are in indifferent rooms you might want to get a two-receiver package installed for free and add the DTC100 at one of those locations at a later date. Or do some wiring yourself.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Excellent! I'm a big fan of the dollar myself. Running the extra cable to the DTC100 should be a snap as it's in my basement. Thanks for the help.

By the way, they didn't charge you any extra to get the oval dish? Still just $10. This seems like a really good deal! Let us all know how the install and contracts go. I think this might be a lay-up for anyone like myself looking to subscribe to DirecTV.

Rich

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bit on the Blockbuster/DirecTV deal in January when they offered the single room system for $49. I got the basic Hughes silver receiver and the 2 LNB oval dish, 52 weeks free rentals, and free installation. Installer came, put it up, I siged acknowledging installation and called DTV to activate. Got the base $31.99 programming, and confirmed that all I had to do was keep it a month.

Well, I still have the service, and all works great. It really is a 'too good to be true' sort of deal....but it *is* real, and they deliver as advertised.

Now all I need is the HD tuner....

·
Registered
109 Posts
No problems. I got the $49 blockbuster deal; told them I wanted the Para Todos system; and got a $50 rebate too. The installer set everything up and made sure I was getting the Spanish language features and left. I removed the Hughes receiver, connected the Panasonic TU-HDS20 HDTV receiver I had waiting, and called to sign up for service.

Got the oval dish, got the free installation, got a spare receiver, got the 52 free rentals, and got paid a dollar for my trouble. Also got to watch the DTV HD demo loop over and over http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The installer wondered what this crazy ****** wanted with Spanish TV, but I've been called crazy for less...

·
Registered
973 Posts
I would suggest that you activate the RCVR that came with your Blockbuster system. Even if you only have it turned on for 30 days. It may also already be to late for you since you did not activate the Blockbuster RCVR first. Be prepared to get a $300 bill from DirecTV one of these days. And I don't mean a $300 dollar bill you can spend either. You have been warned! Remeber Blockbuster has your credit card number in order to allow you to rent videos.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, my 9 buck Blockbuster Para Todos system is scheduled to be installed on Wednesday.

I am planning to buy an extra LNB so I can use the same dish for D* and E*.

I'll report back and let y'all know if there are any hidden strings attached. However, as far as I know, there is no obligation beyond the first month's activation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For those who took the Para Todos Blockbuster deal:

What model receiver did you get?

What model/type multiswitch did they install, if any?

Did you eventually switch service to HBO a-la-carte?

------------------

Turn the sound up and the lights down!

·
Registered
19 Posts
RickZ,

I got the Para Todos 2 receiver setup with the following components:

> What model receiver did you get?

Hughes E11

> What model/type multiswitch did they install, if any?

4x4 Multiswitch S-4040 PE from Eagle

> Did you eventually switch service to HBO a-la-carte?

Yes, switched to HBO a-la-carte after a month. Cancelled after 2 months to switch to Dish.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks Toyman,

I signed up for the $9.99 Blockbusters Para Todos one receiver deal on Wednesday. Maybe after I get installed for free and successfully add my RCA HDTV to the service, switch to HBO a-la-carte, and begin getting my free DVD rentals, I'll finally be convinced that this "too good to be true" deal is a bonafide bargain for new DirecTV customers.

I have the Walmart.com $99 no strings DS4440RE system still in the box just in case I want to swap out anything or add to what I get from the Blockbuster deal.

As for Dish possibly being a better choice, because of the Blockbuster deal and my RCA, I'll stick with DirecTV for now and wait until the satellite mega-mergers complete to see where things eventually settle out.

If Echostar buys DirecTV, I'll be looking for my vouchers for a cheap upgrade to the next generation Dish receivers in the near future. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------

Turn the lights down and the sound up!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, I got mine installed Wednesday evening. The installation itself was the worst horrorshow I think I've ever been through (waited all day, no phone call, installer showed up in the middle of the night, drunk, scratched up the front panel of my IRD pretty badly and then the 119 satellite didn't work at all).

But, I did not have to sign anything that said I would keep the service for a specific period of time.

I ordered Select Choice while it is still available and got a whole bunch of freebies and credits because of the whole ordeal.

A different installer is supposed to come here tomorrow and fix it and if he does that I will probably end up keeping D* for at least 3 months until all the free service credits get used up.

BTW (and I don't want to start a war here), I am not really impressed with the PQ vs. E*. It seems a lot softer and more artifacted than the E* systems. But I do like some of the programming, like Trio for example. Great channel!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have mine installed this Tuesday. Everything went smoothly. The installer was very professional and showed up on time, around 9:00 in the morning. I didn't have to sign any programming commitment. I got the oval dish with 4x4 multiswitch, a Hughes E11 receiver. I asked the installer to hook up my Toshiba DST3000 with 50H81 and the Hughes E11 with my 2nd tv. I ended up paying him $50 for the installation of the 2nd receiver.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes it does. I purchased the Para Todos system last year with the HDTV upgrade in mind. Now all I have to do is decide on which set and STB I will purchase. I just wish I ran dual cables to each location!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
________ Are any of you receiving HBO or Cinemax in HD. No-one seems to have mentioned this. Also, is any of you getting local channels and do the receivers have toslink out for 5.1 sound on HD programing? Are the recivers worth it or do I still have to go to and get the walmart receiver?

------------------

Regards,

KNC

"Ofcourse thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller.

Boycott: DVI/HDCP, 5C/DFAST

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.