AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the Stanford vs Washington state game this weekend they gave out $5 coupons good for "A one receiver DirectTV system package from Blockbuster" with free installation and a free year of movie rentals.

Like the last Blockbuster deal discussed on the forum, it looks like you can ask for a "Para Todos" system at the same price, which means you get an oval dish which is HD Ready for the same $5. The offer expires November 30, 2001 and you have to activate by 12/21.

I've tried to attach a scan of the coupon - hope it works and hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I jumped on this deal 2 days ago.. It was $10 for the same package.. I did ask for "Para Todos" and will make sure the installation guy will install the right dish.. I heard of cases were they were playing switch and bait and pretended they don't have that Ovel better dish...

Don't sign any papers until u get that correct dish....

I guess then all we have to do is buy a better HDTV receiver and we'll have a great package...

Don't forget that this $5 or $10 deal DOES NOT have any kind of commitment to it (only a month)...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great advice on the oval dish. I can imagine they get the wrong out of ignorance as opposed for a more nefarious reason - what does the installer care...

please let us know how your installation goes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did this deal about 6 weeks ago and it worked out great for me. As usual, just do some homework on hookups etc. and it's a great way to go.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Do you have to be a new subscriber for this deal? Or, as an existing subscriber, can I just go in, ask for the $5 Para Todos package, and walk out with a dual dish?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've attached the back of the coupon to this, so you can read the details and fine print. It says "new residential customers" but doesn't state what new means - for instance are you new if you cancel your old service for a day and then sign up for this ? Or does Bockbuster even care / know / check ? Maybe someone out there who's already tried this...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was a previous subscriber and went through all kinds of trouble trying to get the new subscriber package. I ended up using my new wife's maiden name to get the deal just to find out they would not put the ground block on the side of my townhouse and could not do the installation. Luckily, cash on the side still works. The offer they are giving us is $10 with of course, Para Todos, and $44.95 for four months including all of their channels and the NFL package. And the free rentals. But if you have ever had DirecTV, you are not eligible.:)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
NO coupon of any kind needed.. I did my $10 deal last weekend..

It was listed right in the store..

Quote:
Originally posted by Agent Smith
Anyone know if you need the actual coupon to get this deal?

If so, where can I get one of these coupons?

Thanks,

Wade

·
Registered
395 Posts
As with the previous deal though, this is not available in all areas. Here in Austin, every one of the blockbusters here in town have a RadioShack inside the store, and they sell DirecTV for the regular, high price.

I know, because I called every store in town. :mad:

--Karl

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
"New" subscriber means that you can not have ever been a subscriber no matter how many years have gone by since you terminated your srvice with Direct Tv. Been there, done that. Nobody at Direct Tv can tell you when you can reapply under the "new" status.

I, too, went the route of having my wife sign up. She uses her own name and has a different phone number. It is not the address that counts. It is the telephone number.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about satellite TV/Direct TV so I need some help please.

I already have a Sony HD100 which I am gonna try using for OTA HD reception. If I get the Blockbuster deal, and ask for para todos, I will get an oval dish too. Will I also get a standard receiver like the Sony B-55, that I can use in my bedroom? Will I be able to hook up both rooms (one HD and one SD) or do I have to buy other LNBs and a multiswitch?

Finally, what does the $31.99/month plan include? Will I get my SD locals and HD channels under this plan? Does it include Disney, Discovery, Nick, Cartoon channels?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
713 Posts
You'll need to pay the installer extra to install 2nd receiver (probably $50). DirecTV will charge you an extra $5 per month to have 2 receivers active.

$31.99 package will get you Disney, Discover, Nickelodeon, cartoon channels, etc. It will also get you HDNet. It will NOT get you any premium movie channels--no HBO-HD. Locals will cost another $6 per month.

Rich

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
What about OTA HD, or just plain OTA? Does the oval dish from Para Todos pick up OTA HD too? Can you somehow connect another antenna up there to pick up OTA signals?

Also, forgive the stupid question, but right now I have cable. All TVs are cable ready, which means I just split the signal around the house, and I can at least get the basic channels everywhere.

With a satellite system, I need a receiver at each TV, even to get the basic channels, right?

If I install a 2nd receiver myself (doesn't that just mean running coax that I already have?), and don't connect it to a phone line, does that mean I don't have to pay a monthly fee? What will I be *unable* to do by not paying the fee and hooking up the phone line?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
OTA is OVER THE AIR, you need an antenna.

No HD Local channels with DirectV.

Check you cable it is probably RG59 you need RG6 for Satellite.

You will need a receiver at each TV for Satellite connected to the phone line

·
Registered
120 Posts
In order to get programming on a DTV receiver, it must be subscribed as a primary or additional unit. Unless you are only planning to watch channel 200 or 100 (preview channels).

$5 a month for each added receiver is not a lot to ask.

You need to subscribe the receiver from Blockbuster for at least 1 month anyway. Why not put in on your second tv and take advantage of your HDTV DTV receiver (HBO and HDNET) plus the ability to receive AVAILABLE local (OTA) HDTYV content. Keep in mind DTV does not broadcast LOCAL HDTV at this time, you will need an outdooer antenna for this.

If you don't want to pay $5 for the extra receiver, sell it after your first month. I betting that you will decide to keep it. Your cable company will charge you at least $6 a month for an additional box and programming.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
So for an OTA antenna, can I just buy something to clip onto the dish? Or do people tend to buy something separate? I guess the dish itself doesn't pick up OTA signals? Will I have to run a separate cable into my house, or can I piggyback onto the existing cable from the installed dish?

I thought the only difference between RG59 and RG6 was the grade - you're implying that RG59 won't work at all?

Cable does charge if you want an extra box, but without a box, you can still get basic cable at every TV without a monthly fee (I heard this was mandated by (NJ) law??).

If I *did* want to get a 2nd receiver, what's this I've read about "dual LNB"? Can't you just split the feed from any dish to 2 receivers? I don't understand why you'd need special equipment. Or does dual LNB just mean that the dish has 2 outputs, where you can feed each to a different receiver?

Mike

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Actually, you will find that the oval dish comes with 4 outputs, which will be hanging out from the dish near the roof line. These all have female terminations, so the standard male termination you are probably familiar with can just be screwed on . The switcher is built into the dish.

You can easily attach 4 runs of RG6 cable to four different receivers in your home. Please do not try to split the signals with ordinary splitters. It is not necessary and will not work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.