AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why isn't there many blockbuster/action/thriller movies in 3D? Why is it all basically animated/cgi stuff at the minute, will this change and have more live action movies being released??

If not new movies in 3D, what about re releases of the likes of, jaws, terminator, nightmare on elm st, batman, halloween, die hard etc.. in 3D blu ray, and 3D meaning using the full features of the 3D tv's and 3D blu ray players, no shortcuts or no using the cheap red/cyan side of 3D

·
Registered
248 Posts
I hit the 2D-3D convert on my Sammy to do that. But judging by the utter disdain for Last Airbender which was a conversion, I wouldn't hold your breath. While most of Airbender may not have very much 3D applied, some scenes do have it full on, and when it is used on a fight sequence it's great. Much better than in theaters BTW.

One interesting note, when watching an action movie thru netflix streaming, I am able to get quite decent 3D conversion. Maybe the compression helps the conversion algorithm a little, but thats just a guess..

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
The 3rd Transformers movie is being filmed (mostly) in 3D. There's your big action blockbuster in 3D. And it's, for the most part, not conversion.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yes, 3D live action "blockbusters" are on the way. I for one am excited!!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
2011 will be the year of the 3D Action Blockbuster as Thor, Green Lantern, Captain America, Transformers 3 and a bunch of other high-profile 3D titles will hit the screen. The performance of those movies will, I think, go a long way towards determining how prevalent 3D will be at the theaters going forward.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP /forum/post/19533498

2011 will be the year of the 3D Action Blockbuster as Thor, Green Lantern, Captain America, Transformers 3 and a bunch of other high-profile 3D titles will hit the screen. The performance of those movies will, I think, go a long way towards determining how prevalent 3D will be at the theaters going forward.

Unfortunately all of the films you listed, with the exception of Trans. 3 are all 2D to 3D conversions.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I think a lot of director's and/or producers are against shooting movies in 3D, like Christoper Nolan (Inception, Batman, etc) because they feel they're being forced to make the movie with 3D in mind. That's why I don't see widespread non-cartoon 3D movies available anytime soon

·
Registered
141 Posts
 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is being filmed in 3D.

List of movies filmed in 3D/being filmed in 3D:

Released (theatrically):

Scar 3D

Journey To The Center Of The Earth

My Bloody Valentine 3-D

Call of the Wild 3D

The Dark Country

The Final Destination

StreetDance 3D

Step Up 3-D

Resident Evil: Afterlife

Saw 3D

The Hole 3D

Jackass 3D

Upcoming releases:
Yogi Bear (live-action/CGI film) 12/17/10

Tron: Legacy 12/17/10
Drive Angry 2/25/11
Sanctum (film) James Cameron producer 2/4/11
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 5/20/11

The Green Lantern (some scenes being shot in 3D) 6/17/11
Transformers: Dark of the Moon 7/1/11

Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World 8/19/11
Fright Night (2011) 8/19/11

Final Destination 5 8/26/11
THE THREE MUSKETEERS 10/14/11
CONTAGION 10/21/11
Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate december 2011
Hugo Cabret Martin Scorsese 12/9/11
Underworld 4 1/20/12
The Avengers (2012) 5/4/12
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter 6/22/12
Untitled Spider-Man Reboot (2012) 7/3/12
Men in Black III (2012)
Untitled Alien Prequel #1 (2011)
Rise of the Apes
Alfonso Cuaron’s Gravity
17 DAYS OF WINTER Korean War epic

Journey To The Center Of The Earth 2
Life of Pi (2012) 12/14/12
JUDGE DREDD
At the Mountains of Madness Del Toro, James Cameron
The Battle of Midway
Clash of the Titans 2
Silent Hill: Revelation 3D
The Hobbit: Part 1 (2012)

Mad Max: Fury Road

2D to 3D conversions:

My Soul to Take

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader 12/10/10

Gulliver's Travels 12/22/10

The Green Hornet 1/14/11

Sucker Punch 3/25/11

Thor 5/6/11

Priest 5/13/11

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part Two) 7/15/11

Captain America: The First Avenger 7/22/11
The Smurfs (film) ( live-action/CGI-animated) 8/3/11

Conan 8/19/11

The Cabin in the Woods

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey /forum/post/19533673

I think a lot of director's and/or producers are against shooting movies in 3D, like Christoper Nolan (Inception, Batman, etc) because they feel they're being forced to make the movie with 3D in mind. That's why I don't see widespread non-cartoon 3D movies available anytime soon

Nolan is going off in a different direction using IMAX (Batman) and large gauge (Vistavision and 65mm) for Inception . He is the only one doing this.

·
Registered
474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey /forum/post/19533673

who other than Nolan is doing what he's doing?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19533664

Unfortunately all of the films you listed, with the exception of Trans. 3 are all 2D to 3D conversions.

Yes but the thing most of them have going in their favor (hopefully) is that the filmmakers knew from the outset that they would be converted to 3D so they were hopefully shot with that in mind and won't be last minute conversions.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP /forum/post/19534705

Yes but the thing most of them have going in their favor (hopefully) is that the filmmakers knew from the outset that they would be converted to 3D so they were hopefully shot with that in mind and won't be last minute conversions.

That was the way Alice In Wonderland was shot. So how was the 3D quality for that film?

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Shooting live action in 3D is expensive. Last I read, it added about $15 million to the production cost. And shooting in 3D is more restrictive than it is with a single camera. Plus you have many directors who have never shot in 3D. It's like being a college grad with a PhD, then finding yourself back in elementary school. There is a learning curve involved.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19534748

That was the way Alice In Wonderland was shot. So how was the 3D quality for that film?

Never saw the whole feature, but I did see some clips via biohemmet.se and truthfully, I thought they looked pretty good; there was a nice sense of depth to the image and objects like spears even seemed to pop out of the screen; and this was at half resolution since the clips were SBS. I would also imagine Disney might have cleaned up the 3D even further for the home video release.

As others have said, shooting a movie in native 3D is a costly and time consuming affair. Besides, I would imagine the tools available to filmmakers for 2D>3D conversion are improving all the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts