AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went in Blockbuster last night and when they printed out my receipt it was no less than 10 foot long. The receipt was filled with cupons for free rentals and discounts. The clerk explained that it was their settlement for some class action lawsuit they lost.

Jon

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Ill bet it had to do with the no late fees campain that cost pepole a lot of money who did not read the fine print.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Proof once again that class action suits benefit NO ONE but the lawyers!!!! And in fact HURT consumers by hurting the companies whose products they desire.

When I hear people cry "Class Action Suit" cuz they're pissed about something, it just makes me want to puke. :mad:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
"When I hear people cry "Class Action Suit" cuz they're pissed about something, it just makes me want to puke."

Agreed! Though my reaction is likely to be less of the involuntary intestinal disquietude variety, I do share that chagrin that corporate isolationism and unresponsiveness frequently attendant to and/or deriving from the power inequity can compel consumers to wade into the mindbogglingly onerous entanglements of legal redress to address often straightforward, even simple, issues of ethical even-handedness. Of course an ill-founded nuisance suit of no merit would be ethically wrong as well, but evidently here the courts have determined the former construct to more closely match the facts of the case, so fortunately we may speak with greater authority as to collective Plaintiffs or Defendant aggrandizing the coffers of attorneys through their self-serving actions.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
Yeah, what he said.

The receipt/coupons I got from BB the other day is approx 3 feet long. I got waay shorted, so I'm filing a class-action somethin.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Below is the description of the settlement, taken from BB website
http://blockbuster.custhelp.com/cgi-...i=&p_topview=1

A claim form can be found here http://www.blockbuster.com/Media/PDF...ment_claim.pdf

Note - Blockbuster doesn't have "late fees". They're "extended viewing fees".

Who thinks up these terms?

In 2001, Blockbuster settled a class action lawsuit concerning extended viewing fees paid for rental items returned after the initial viewing period and fees paid for unreturned videos and other rental items. The Settlement Class includes members of Blockbuster who incurred an extended viewing fee or nonreturn fee between January 1, 1992 and April 1, 2001. In 2002, the 136th Judicial District Court in Beaumont, Texas approved the settlement and determined that it is fair, reasonable, and adequate.

As part of the settlement, Blockbuster is providing certificate coupons which can be used at participating Blockbuster stores from August 1 through November 28, 2005. Many Class Members will automatically receive coupons in their Blockbuster stores upon the completion of an in-store transaction. Many other members have submitted claim forms and are receiving coupons by mail.

Class Members who 1) paid a nonreturn fee after January 1, 1992, and 2) have not previously submitted a claim form may submit a Settlement Claim Form setting forth the total amount of nonreturn fees paid. Only Class Members who meet both requirements are permitted to submit the form. Qualifying Class Members who submit fully completed forms postmarked no later than October 28, 2005, will receive coupons by mail which can be used at participating Blockbuster stores through November 28, 2005.

Depending on the amount of fees paid during the measuring period, Class Members will receive one of the following groups of coupons: (a) 2 coupons for a free Non-New Release movie rental and 5 coupons for $1 Off any rental or non-food purchase; (b) 2 coupons for a free Non-New Release movie rental, 5 coupons for $1 Off any rental or non-food purchase, and 1 coupon for a rent-one-get-one-free rental of equal or lesser value; (c) 3 coupons for a free Non-New Release movie rental, 6 coupons for $1 Off any rental or non-food purchase, 1 coupon for a rent-one-get-one-free rental. All settlement coupons are freely transferable and expire on November 28, 2005. Please see a Blockbuster store for complete details of rental terms and conditions

Michael

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Yeah, right.

Some morons sued MGM for (supposedly) misrepresenting some of their widescreen DVDs (they were letterboxed, cutting-off tops/bottoms of frames). I had some of those DVDs, but pursuing the "relief" was more trouble than it was worth!

Oh, and at the risk of being accused of hyperpolysyllabicsesquepedalianism, I agree w/Emaych!!! :eek: :D

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
The mgm thing isn't that how it should they cut some off the top but add to the side. Also don't they cut down to get rid of boom mikes and such. And even if they are letterboxed who says they have to put it in its full OAR. I've seen a few movies that were shot for 2.35 but were in 1.85 for the dvd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.