AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1pm-5pm installer showed up at 7pm after I just about gave up hope and set up my dual LNB oval dish on the ground floor wall. It wasn't getting all of the channels and the best signal I could get was about 55%. He said that is fairly typical for Chicago and you get less signal using the oval dish. He is coming back tomorrow to finish up and my concern is that I"m going to not have enough signal for HDnet.

He is doing the setup with the "free" Hughes box but I also have a new Panasonic TS-HD20 ready to go.

Any advice on what I should have this guy do tomorrow or will I be able to get by with 50% signal?

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Blaine,

The signal is weaker on the HD bird than the SD bird. Technically the installer is correct in stating that 50 is O.K., but this gives you little "headroom" for bad weather when signal strengths will normally drop. The other problem I'm almost certain you'll face, is with the Panny receiver. The Panny (although probably having the best picture quality) is notorious for disliking signals below 85. Some people have had success with less, but many (myself included) had frequent dropouts with signal stengths less than 85. It's possible that the newer software versions have corrected this, but I still hear people complaining about it. I'm not sure what a typical signal stength in the Chicago area is like. Your best bet would be to either ask a friend who has it or go to a local retailer and check their display.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That number sounds too low. As stated above, the digital signal either works or it does not. There is a very small knee bend for a digital signal.

Because of the low signal, you will have problems with tall clouds or rain. Even a light rain may be enough to drop the signal. I would find out why the signal strength is so low:

1) Cable length too long (over 75') add a booster

2) Bad cable.

3) Wrong cable

4) Bad or damaged connector

5) Any diplexers/mutiswitch? Maybe bad hardware

6) Dish pointing not optimized

7) Line of sight obstruction

Just to name a few items....

---Andy Garabedian

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ken - thanks *very* much for the info regarding the low signal strength and the Panny. He is coming back out this morning (as long as it doesn't rain any more) and I see if I can get him to move the dish.

I think that there may be a tree that is just clipping the signal because when he was trying to optimize the level, it would go from 50ish to nothing.

I'd rather have him clamp it to the antenna mast on the top of my roof but he told me that he "doesn't go on roofs".

Andy -

Thanks for the tips!

1) Cable length too long (over 75') add a booster

Nope, it is a very short run.

2) Bad cable.

3) Wrong cable

4) Bad or damaged connector

I would hope that this "pro" knows how to run the cable.

5) Any diplexers/mutiswitch? Maybe bad hardware

All hardware is new and no diplexers.

6) Dish pointing not optimized

7) Line of sight obstruction

These are what I'm going to focus on.

I'll keep you posted!!!!

Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by imedia:
Does a weaker signal affect (slow down) channel changing? And guide data?
Absolutely not, as long as the receiver is able to maintain a digital "lock" on the picture.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Blaine,

I lived downtown for about 5 years with a Directv dish and was able to get a signal strength of around 85 with an 18" round dish aimed at 101 only. Evanston should be exactly the same. Your oval dish should be able to get fairly similar results with 101, but you should expect a bit lower on the second satelite - 119 (HD). Make sure the installer takes the time to align the dish properly. That is what he is paid to do. Don't settle for "good enough". I would suspect that it is 6 or 7 on the list. Good luck.

------------------

Casey

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A big thank you everybody. I insisted that he move the dish and he did. Now I'm getting 70 - 85%.

Wow, for $9 this sure was one heck of a deal!

This installer guy must have spent about 3-4 hours here.

Now I'm watching HDnet on 199 and am blown away.

[This message has been edited by Blaine (edited 09-09-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.