AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
simple question and searched this forum but didnt find a good answer. Please point me to the proper thread if this is a repost, thanks

Which one is better for HD-DVD and Blueray support? as in getting them when the first come out and having enough copies. I currently have blockbuster and thinking of switching back Netflix

TIA

Jeff

·
Registered
319 Posts
I did a cursory look into Blockbuster's Total Access options, but I saw no mention of HD titles on either format. And looking through the online movie listings, I still did not see any HD. I may not have been looking hard enough though.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokeith /forum/post/0

I did a cursory look into Blockbuster's Total Access options, but I saw no mention of HD titles on either format. And looking through the online movie listings, I still did not see any HD. I may not have been looking hard enough though.

Try again....Collections....HD DVD or Blu-Ray......

Here is the link to HD DVD:

http://www.blockbuster.com/online/ca...?listRef=hdDVD

Since I have a BB just 4 blocks away, the turn one in...get one free is VERY attractive!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would say NetFlix.

I was with NetFlix for 2 weeks trial period and their blu-ray collection was more than Blockbuster and they get new movies sooner than Blockbuster. When NetFlix shipped my movies they arrive on the next day.

I am now with Blockbuster and they have a very limited blu-ray collection and most of the movies in my queue are either long wait or short wait. When Blockbuster shipped my 3 movies I got 2 of them 3 days after and one movie I still did not get. The only advantage that Blockbuster has is the in-store exchange program where you can just go to any participating Blockbuster store and return the movies there and you get movies for free.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks wostertag, I will look through both threads.

thanks for the other replies. yes blockbuster has both hd-dvd and blueray. Like other posters said, they seem slow to get new releases and have a lot of long waits for them.

I left netflix for blockbuster because they where throttling me, i.e. not giving me new releases. Hoping they arent doing that as much plus I am not renting as much anymore(just has a kid). Also my local blockbuster just closed down so that incentive is gone. So for me it is mail vs mail option

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Netflix was great during the 30 day free trial, but after I started paying for the service it went downhill. They're slow, they send the wrong discs, and send titles out of order. They break up the seasonal box sets and it's frustrating to get those discs out of order.

Basically, rather than just giving you a set limit on discs per month and then executing well, they act incompetent in order to slow your movie watching habits down which is frustrating. I would rather know upfront what my limits are and work within them instead of suddenly having to wait a whole week with no movies while Netflix feigns incompetence.

Most of the time the discs are damaged too. Not enough to be unplayable but there's usually at least 1 spot that will freeze up and force me to fast forward through. Or worse, stop, chapter select the scene past, and reverse into it.

I'm not sure Blockbuster is any better. I'm looking forward to downloadable movies, but I don't know how long it's going to be before we can get them in HD.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you think netflix is incompetent then you will hate blockbuster, at least from my experience.

I havent decided which is worst, netflix throtttling or blockbuster being incompetent. End results are pretty similiar, both take longer to get the movies I want

·
Registered
730 Posts
I just dumped BB. I had both and stayed with Net. Blockbuster did not send me any coupons for 3 months and when I asked them why they said they could not get to my files because something was being fixed.

BB took four days to get a movie to me, Net gets it to me the next day, they even have a dist center in my city. They also have many more hd movies. BB never updated their online HD movie selection area. Net has been doing this for years, BB is just in beta and we are the beta testers.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I got on board w/ Netflix way back when, and felt like a traitor when I switched over to Blockbuster a couple years ago, but I just couldn't pass on the "two free in store rentals a month" coupons they were offering, especially since the nearest Blockbuster was just one town over. That store has since closed, but the "total access" promotion going on now makes the trip to the now-nearest blockbusters (two towns over in either direction) still worth it. Just for S&Gs, I re-signed up for the free month on Netflix to compare the availability and delivery speed of Blu-ray movies. I haven't noticed that Netflix's selection or quantity of Blu-ray is any more extensive than Blockbuster's; all the movies in my Netflix queue are "short" or "long wait," just like my Blockbuster queue. However, I did just get an email that says three of the movies in my list are shipping today and are estimated to be here tomorrow. I can't help but feel they are catering to me while I am in my trial period, and that things would trail off once I'm paying for services, but that's pretty good. I don't think I'll wind up switching; the "total access" thing is too good, plus, since I'm an early adopter w/ Blockbuster online, I still get two movie or game coupons/month.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I do wonder if Netflix ships movies faster to trial members. I too, just dropped Netfix for BB Total Access. I love that every envelope is a free rental coupon and you can pick up movies in person while you wait for the next movies in your queue to sho up. I can now watch some of the movies that I might not have put in my queue, because I didn't want to wait a week for a movie only to be disappointed and have to wait another week to replace it.

I had been much more picky with my queue with Netflix because my movie pace had been throttled back so far. The BB near my house had quite an in store collection of BDs and HD DVDs. So now with the B&M store and mail in options I think I might be pretty happy with Totall Access. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
If any of my local Blockbusters actually had BD or HD-DVD titles, I might use blockbuster. But since they don't, I'm still with Netflix, and enjoying the service very much.

EDIT: of course, I say that, and then I realize that it shows Training Day has been set to "Shipping Today" since yesterday.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 /forum/post/0

Netflix is starting to irritate me with the waits on Blu-ray movies...

No Kidding... 4 of my top 5 in queue show a "short wait". What irritates me the most is that Netflix will ships me movies farther down my queue since the ones at the top have a wait. I would wrather NetFlix just ship me the movies in the order they appear in my queue, even if there is a wait.

Also, whats up with Sopranos? This has been out for some time and is still not available on NetFlix. Argh...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would bet netflix disables the throttle software during the free trial period

thanks for the replies, decided to stick with blockbuster for the near future. After reading more on netflix throttling it seems like I would still be throttled by them

anybody know if blockbuster throttles? sort of seems like it to me. they will get a movie and it sometimes a couple of days to ship a new one. They also lag on reporting that they got my movie, so much I thought it got lost in the mail.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have Netflix and never felt the need to try Blockbuster. I have four Netflix distribution centers within one day mailing from me. I've never felt throttled by Netflix. My peak months of DVD watching would be between 15-20 DVD's.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I'm in the start of the free try out at netflix and was told my choice of movie "Flightplan" in Blu-ray is not available in the east coast and will be shipped from Az and I should get it in three working days. Who needs this. I'm cancelling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was with netflix a few years ago, went to blockbuster, now back with netflix. I have to say lately netflix has gotten pretty rough. Most of the HD/BD titles in my queue are short wait, or long wait, and they seem to now get my movies a week after I mail it and then half a week to get them back to me. I don't know what's been going on the past month but it's absolutely awful. Maybe a lot of gift subscriptions? I don't know but I'm thinking of going back to Blockbuster at least for the trial to judge the difference.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.