AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to my current living situation, I have no choice but to be stuck with rooms that all have at least a couple windows.

Last night, things were great with the projector after I bought it and set it up, but this morning I tried to play Xbox and I could barely make out the images on the wall. I realize that I need to invest a bit of time/money into some type of covering for the windows so that I can use the projector during the day.

I've attached a picture of how one of my windows looks at around 10am on a sunny day. I held up a green bath towel against one of the windows, and it seemed to keep most of the light out. But I need coverings that don't look "ghetto" (read: they have to be fairly stylish) and that I can fairly easily add/remove from the windows.

What are my options here? If you look at the picture, you'll see that I have blinds in each windows. All I can think of now is to add one of those curtain rods to the top of each window and buy the thickest/cheapest curtains I can find that match my walls (cream colored).

Thanks in advance for any insight you can lend!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had the same problem for daytime viewing and came up with a relatively cheap solution. You can use either a short shower curtain rod or drapery rod, one that telescopes which are at Target, KMart, Walmart, anywhere and is cheap. You can telescope it to easily fit the window width, and when you are not viewing can take it down, roll it up & stick it in the closet. The best material I found was at JoAnns Fabrics. I think it's better than blackout cloth. It is a matte black tablecloth fabric, that is matte black vinyl on one side, and cloth backed on the opposite side. It basically looks like blackout cloth with vinyl applied to one side. It looks pretty good when up and blocks light so effectively it is hard to see with the lights off in broad daylight. You can cut it a little wider than the actual window width so it curls around at the side - if it's too narrow, the exact width of the window, light may leak around the edges. It's very effective, and the matte black helps to kill reflected light from the screen back onto the walls & window areas. It's only about $6 per yard, and sometimes on sale.

·
Registered
967 Posts
My windows have both blinds and curtains. Leave your blinds just how they are, go to a store such as Target or Walmart and pick up a cheap curtain rod and some curtains. They even sell "blackout" curtain liners if you need complete darkness. You will be done in no time.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Are those vinyl blinds? Replace them with aluminum blinds. Aluminum will block more light than vinyl. Bali, Hunter Douglas and Graber design their blinds such that the cord holes in the slats are concealed when the blinds are fully closed. Have them custom made to fit each window to minimize the gap between the blinds and the window. They also make side tracks normally used when blinds are installed in skylights to keep them in place. These can be used in a normal window to close the gap between the blinds and the window casing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Blackout cloth from Joanne fabrics and some velcro...will look just white from the outside but be completely dark inside.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
those mini-blinds are not "stylish" LOL imho but you can get pulldown (roller) blinds in creame that are "blackout" which are easily hidden when not used and look ok from the outside. many places have them, even home depot at a cheap price. very effective at blocking light and being hidden from view when not in use.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The best and cheapest solution is to use the spring wound roll-up blinds. You know, the ones that you pull down like a projection screen ???

They can be had cheaply at the home centers, and are cut-to-fit inside your frame, so when they are UP you don't even see them.

You can get them in light filtering, or blackout.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.