AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bloom, Push, Crush, Flashlighting, etc...

Does anyone care to explain the difference between these and other picture anomalies for me?

or

Do you know of any good articles/links (with pictures would be great) to learn more about these and how/what settings to adjust to remedy the above mentioned anomalies?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah.volunteer /forum/post/18294528

Does anyone care to explain the difference between these and other picture anomalies for me?

or

Do you know of any good articles/links (with pictures would be great) to learn more about these and how/what settings to adjust to remedy the above mentioned anomalies?

Both the Avia and DVE DVD/BR disc(s) go over all of these terms in great detail. And a lot more information.

You should consider picking one of them up. I'd probably lean towards the DVE disc myself; but both are good.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah.volunteer /forum/post/18294528

or

I will take a stab at it.

Bloom.

Typically this is associated with LED backlit LCD sets where a light object on a darker background will show a "Halo" of lighter area in the dark background around the lighter object. Normally caused by a zone controlled LED backight, where the zone is larger than the area needing higher ilumination.

Push.

Normally this term is associated with a color that the set will have with it's default settings. Sharps are famous for thier Red Push (things are just alittle more red than they should be) and Toshibas will allot of the time have a Green Push where things are tinted just a little bit green here and there.

These "Pushes" are easy to correct for during calibration.

Crush.

This is where you hear the term Black Crush. If the settings on your set are not optimal or it is just not a good set, in dark sceenes the set will loose all of the detail in areas that just look black. The same thing can happen for white if the settings are to bright. Again proper calibration helps this.

Flashlighting.

This is normally something that happens on LCDs only. Flashlights are areas on the screen that are lighter than the rest of the screen. This happens allot on the corners and edges when the backlight is not properly fitted to the screen.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfan /forum/post/18360378

i always thought bloom was for CRTs that have their contrast set too high.

Could be but I have seen the same effect on LCD sets with to much brightness or as some people have described LED backlit sets with halo effect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts