AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Philips 37in LCD, and gradients and dark skies are blocking and looking blotchy. It happens on all inputs, including my HDMI DVD. Is there a setting that could be doing this? I have controls for Dynamic Contrast, Pixel Plus, Active Control and Digital Noise Reduction. I calibrated with Avia, and everything else looks great, just this blockiness is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonaust /forum/post/0

I have a new Philips 37in LCD, and gradients and dark skies are blocking and looking blotchy. It happens on all inputs, including my HDMI DVD. Is there a setting that could be doing this? I have controls for Dynamic Contrast, Pixel Plus, Active Control and Digital Noise Reduction. I calibrated with Avia, and everything else looks great, just this blockiness is driving me crazy.

What type of DVD Player are you using? What I beleive you are seeing is Macro blocking and depending on the DVD player it could be enhanced Marcro Blocking. Not really a whole lot you can do about it other than switching the DVD player.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Blotchiness is being called "CLOUDY" on this site. It is non-uniformity of the LCD caused by pressure from the enclosure. It can be minimised by turning the backlight down, adjusting the black level of the display (brightness and contrast) and loosening the enclosure.

DB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.