AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this problem months ago with my Yamaha Center C-525 (50WRMS). An AVS member recommended that I buy a Klipsch RC-62 which I did. Now a month later the Klipsch center is blown (I measured it and the voice coil is open). The klipsch is rated at 150WRMS and my Yamaha RX-V2500 is only 130W.

Should I replace the AVR ($$$) or simply buy an audiosource amp one/a for the center?

Distortion may be killing the tweeter and maybe the discrete amp would solve the problem.

Please help if you can. I am getting so discouraged.

BTY the Klipsch RB-81's are fine as well as the Yamaha surrounds.

·
Registered
856 Posts
how hard are you driving the speaker? reference levels or louder? That klipsch center has a pretty high sensitivity level and yammy is no slouch, it would have to be crankin pretty loud to blow the tweeter, hard to imagine.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
Yeah, are you calibrating your system properly? Are you running the center a few dBs hot with the system at reference levels?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I borrowed a Simpson SPL meter from work and calibrated all the speakers with an Avia disk. My normal listening level for a HD-DVD movie (Tosh XA-1 player) is close to 100 DB peak during sound effects. This includes my SVS PB12/2 sub.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
How big is the room? (Hard to fill?)

How far back do you sit? (At 15' or more, nothing sounds very loud.)

Is the center calibrated the same as the left and right? (3 dB too hot means double the power into it.)

Have you turned the treble up? (3 dB more treble means double the power.)

Do you listen above reference level?

Do you have an SPL meter?

Is your volume knob beyond 1 o'clock? (Peaks are being clipped, and any higher, you're into hard clipping, which eats tweeters.)

99% of the time a tweeter is blown, it's because the user drove the amp or the speaker beyond what it could do. It's like taking an engine with a 6500 rpm redline to 8000 rpm. You get no more power, and things start to break.

More power won't help much. You may get another dB of output and the sound may be slightly better. I know it's frustrating, but your demands have exceeded the capability of some pretty nice gear.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 /forum/post/0

I borrowed a Simpson SPL meter from work and calibrated all the speakers with an Avia disk. My normal listening level for a HD-DVD movie (Tosh XA-1 player) is close to 100 DB peak during sound effects. This includes my SVS PB12/2 sub.

You snuck that post in while I finished my last one!

100 dB at what distance? Was the SPL meter set to fast or slow? If it was set to slow, you may have had instantaneous peaks upwards of 105-108 dB while it read 100 dB.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul, thank you for your kind recommendation that I get a hearing aid

I sit about 12' from the fronts and the center and about 3' from the sub.

I do run the center about 3DB hotter so the voices are clear. The bass and treble are the factory defaults in the AVR.

I understand the 3DB doubling of power requirements as well as the 1 meter doubling. I just can't understand why the fronts can take it but the center can't.

Again thank you for your Professional help.

I forgot to answer your question about room size. It is about 20 X 30 kitchen family room combo

·
Registered
856 Posts
doubling the power sent to the center may very well be clipping your receiver. Perhaps a budget mono block amp is in order for your center channel if you have to run it hot and at those volumes. You may even consider a separate 5 channel amp for your setup.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj /forum/post/0

doubling the power sent to the center may very well be clipping your receiver. Perhaps a budget mono block amp is in order for your center channel if you have to run it hot and at those volumes. You may even consider a separate 5 channel amp for your setup.

Thank you for your help. I really believe that distortion from my amp is causing this.

Since it is only a problem with the center should I get a discrete amp like a

audiosource amp one/a?

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:

Paul, thank you for your kind recommendation that I get a hearing aid

I sit about 12' from the fronts and the center and about 3' from the sub.

I do run the center about 3DB hotter so the voices are clear. The bass and treble are the factory defaults in the AVR.

I understand the 3DB doubling of power requirements as well as the 1 meter doubling. I just can't understand why the fronts can take it but the center can't.

Again thank you for your Professional help.

I forgot to answer your question about room size. It is about 20 X 30 kitchen family room combo

You have a large room. You sit fairly far back. You have the center calibrated hot. You listen loud. During a movie, more information generally goes to the center than the left and right combined. Any action in the center of the screen, which is where it always is, has the sound correspondingly mixed there. If your room acoustics were better, maybe, you could get better clarity without cranking the snot out of the center.

And you don't need a hearing aid. I sometimes listen at gonzo levels, too, but I sit closer with 92 dB sensitivity fronts and very nice amps that do over 275 watts into a 4 ohm load. Still, I expect to blow my center tweeter...

·
Registered
16,827 Posts

Quote:

............................ should I get a discrete amp like a

audiosource amp one/a?

Outlaw makes a reasonably priced monoblock, as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts