Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have noticed that the video output from my PVHS-1000 replay is blown out -- All of the whites are clipped and there is no detail in the highlights. I haven't been able to put a scope on it yet, but my guess is that the video level is high going into the encoder, as opposed to being high coming out of the final output stage.

Does anybody know if there are trimpots and testpoints to adjust either of these levels inside the unit? (Or better yet, through software and a hidden menu)?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry, I can't offer any help, but I was interested in this subject too.

I've noticed all the light-white area where there should be detail is too white (all blown out). It makes me want to break the seal and adjust something, if only I knew what to adjust.

Also I watch the output through my computer video in on my 21" monitor. I've noticed the bar at the top on Standard, but what really irks me is that the BOTTOM is cut off. About 5-7 video lines. When you watch a VHS tape there's distortion in that area, but the MPEG encoder doesn't even encode those lines on my machine. If I capture a TV signal, those lines are there. No biggie, really, I was just used to the fact that I was viewing more TV area than on most televisions with overscan.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
This has been noted in older threads, usually certain channels are "hot", with animations like the Simpsons being the worst offenders. The video will sometimes invert or alieas (eg. solid reds turn green). This is some form of encoder overload. I never saw any mention of internal adjustments, nor have I noticed any while inside the unit.

If it's only a channel or two, there is not much that you can do. If it's on all channels, check your signal input. Too high or too low of signal strength will look bad. Some have tried small step attenuators to incrementally reduce the signal to see if it helps. You'll have to experiment.

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.