Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a sony SAWM40 powered subwoofer and I think I killed it. I forgot to turn it off before doing some cable swapping, and a few times when I touched the end of the cable, the sub went "whomp". I didn't think anything of it but when I got everything plugged back in again, I noticed that the woofer volume seemed a lot lower than before. I adjusted up the gain and cutoff well beyond where I'd ever set it before and got back most of the volume, but then the sub started making loud pops every minute or so.

Any idea what I did to this thing? Can I fix it cheap? I took off the back and checked the circuit boards for popped capacitors or any obvious signs of damage but I found nothing obvious. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

flenser

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nothing? Nobody knows if I might be able to fix this?

Sony says to recheck the cables and then get it to a repair center, as expected. There are 3 boards and a big heatsink in there, and they're all attached using quick disconnect cables, so repairing this would be trivial if I knew what part it was and could get a replacement from sony...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
If it is the amp that is toast, It would probably be easier to just get an inexpensive external amp and drive the sub as a passive unit.

However, I suppose it's also possible you might have damaged the driver voice coil. Personally, I would probably just replace the sub.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Try leaving it unplugged for awhile. You may...just MAY get lucky & it will start working again, if it has a good protection circuit. Being Sony though, don't get your hopes up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I put it back together and tried a new higher quality cable, and it's still messed up. The auto-off feature doesn't even work anymore, so when the receiver/amp is turned off, the sub still pops every minute or so.

I'm not sure if the speaker itself is damaged so I'm wary about buying an external amp. I guess my best bet is to suck it up and just buy a new one if I can't get it to a sony repair shop. I just don't want to throw another $250-$300 at my little amature home theater setup because I just dropped $3600 on a plasma and the wife's patience on this sort of thing has run a little thin. $250+ for something she cares nothing about and which I'll only notice every week or two when watching the occasional DVD? Hmmm.

I sure wish sony would be willing to sell me the guts. Maybe I can find a cheap used one or a busted one that's merely had the speaker kicked in or damaged, and transplant the electronics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.