AVS Forum banner

3121 - 3140 of 4969 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Worth noting you're in Canada (I realize it's no secret!). I'm just not aware of stores in the SF Bay Area here. They may exist, I'm just not aware of them. I also literally don't know anyone outside these forums who has rented a disc other than from Netflix or Redbox in years -- since Blockbuster closed.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Hi,

Im anxious to see what Sony and Panny release player wise at CES. Those are about the only two brands Ill consider for a player other than an Oppo in late 2016 (maybe).
The latest, now almost 1.5 yr old Panasonic BDT-700 (High-End) Bluray player available here in Europe, today already provides an exceptional image with a really impressive upscaling in 4K/8bits, reproduced on a "simple" JVC RS49... :)

So this next generation of Panny BRD + 4K players, can only be better... my next buy... ;)

Hugo

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
Hi,

The latest, now almost 1.5 yr old Panasonic BDT-700 (High-End) Bluray player available here in Europe, today already provides an exceptional image with a really impressive upscaling in 4K/8bits, reproduced on a "simple" JVC RS49... :)

So this next generation of Panny BRD + 4K players, can only be better... my next buy... ;)

Hugo
Yep, I had a 500 and several models before that. The 500 was excellent and I would have a 700 right now if they would have sold them here! Here's to the Panny DMP BDT 900 UHD player ;)

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
Hollywood studio Lionsgate is remastering its top 100 films in readiness for Ultra-HD broadcast transmissions, and for transfer to Ultra-HD Blu-ray packaged media.

Steve Beeks, co-COO and president of the motion picture group, talking to analysts on Lionsgate’s November 10th financials, said that US consumers were definitely moving towards greater consumption of 4K content. “We are getting ready for it. We’re having conversations with some of the MVPDs that are starting 4K [broadcast] channels, and you’ll certainly see some of the library films enter this phase.”

Lionsgate is the studio behind The Hunger Games, but within its archive are classics such as Fahrenheit 9/11, Total Recall, Reservoir Dogs, On Golden Pond, Dirty Dancing and It’s a Wonderful Life. Its TV division produces series such as Nashville, Anger Management, The Dead Zone, Weeds and Mad Men.
http://advanced-television.com/2015/11/12/lionsgate-backs-ultra-hd/

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
In lieu of reading all previous pages, can anyone summarize the new Digital Bridge feature of UHD BD? Is it a mandatory feature of every release or an optional feature? Is it a true 1:1 copy like MakeMKV or is it more compressed version? Can it be stored on any server or external hard drive and played back through XBMC/Kodi? Or is it one of those things where it has to be copied using an approved device ($800 UHD player) to an approved storage medium ($3,000 Kaleidoscope server)?

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
In lieu of reading all previous pages, can anyone summarize the new Digital Bridge feature of UHD BD? Is it a mandatory feature of every release or an optional feature? Is it a true 1:1 copy like MakeMKV or is it more compressed version? Can it be stored on any server or external hard drive and played back through XBMC/Kodi? Or is it one of those things where it has to be copied using an approved device ($800 UHD player) to an approved storage medium ($3,000 Kaleidoscope server)?
I don't know about the rest, but I'd bet $1million (not really :p) that you won't be able to play them on a PC, definitely not through any free/open source software. You will have to use a licensed player, although you might be able to get away with "cheap" hard drives for storage, I seem to recall some group was working on "approved" hard drives, but all I can find is Vidity which seems to be something different.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
According to the spec, it is an optional feature. Studios do not have to support it on every title they release. I think we'll have to wait and see how many movies use it and how many don't. My hope is that it gets at least as much support as Digital HD/Ultraviolet has.

My understanding is that it is a 1:1 copy, though I'm not sure what type of container they will use. It stands to reason that it would be an HEVC encoding.

The type of storage supported could differ depending on the vendor. I get the impression that they purposely left the standard vague to allow multiple companies to develope their own solutions. So, we could see competing options from different coalitions much like we have with Digital HD/Ultraviolet. However, I don't expect Apple to be a player on the digital bridge front as they distanced themselves from discs long ago. Their solution would involve purchasing/redeeming content from iTunes and downloading it from the Internet. I anticipate that the storage options will be mostly proprietary at the start and will certainly provide some sort of increased copy protection in the hardware itself. I expect there will be some sort of tie in between Vidity and digital bridge. You can look at the UHD packs from Samsung as an example of what to expect. I don't think the options for storage will be as limited as it is with K-scape, though. I know that Sandisk and Western Digital are already involved in Vidity and will likely provide external storage solutions that work with the players' digital bridge feature as well. You have to assume that Seagate and others will get involved too.

I seriously doubt the copies could be played back with Kodi. They'll certainly have DRM that Kodi will not support, just as Kodi cannot be used to play back DRM'd content from iTunes that you have downloaded today. We'll have to wait and see what types of playback software are supported. Hopefully someone will come up with a good app/program that supports both DRM'd content and all of your other locally stored content thru the same high quality, feature rich user interface. Until then, we're be stuck using something like Vudu/iTunes/Amazon Instant Video for DRM'd downloads/copies and Kodi/Plex/Emby for the rest of our locally stored content.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Has Netflix said anything about whether it will offer UHD Blu-ray discs?
They haven't said anything, but you can reasonably safely bet they won't be doing it.

Netflix's DVD business has done this in the past several quarters...

8M --> "More than 7M" --> 7.15M --> 6.9M --> 6.7M --> 6.3M --> 6.0M --> 5.8M --> 5.5M --> 5.3M --> 5.0M

Do you notice a trend?

I shall plot it!

Netflix's disc-by-mail business is dying. It is *mostly* DVD customers, likely overwhelming so given the last time they broke out ARPU for DVD customers, it was barely above $10 and that includes all the multi-disc customers, etc. and BluRay carries a premium.

At this point, they have not more than 2M BluRay customers and likely only around 1M. UHD BluRay could, at best, garner around 10,000-50,000 in the first year while actually costing Netflix money in the short run. DVD by mail is run as a cash cow, harvesting the value in the back catalog. Given the linear decline in the disc rental business (it hasn't yet turned into an asymptotic approach to a terminal subscriber level), it seems probable it will fall to ~3M by the first quarter of 2017. At that point, either Netflix will (a) sell the business to someone (b) shut it down or (c) announce a date after which it will no longer be available.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
As far as Lionsgate I am hoping that UHD Blu-ray will mean less banding than they have in some Blu-ray releases.

One of the possible advantages I see with HDR content too is that if the people doing the mastering are looking at bright displays they may leave less artifacts in the sources.

--Darin

Reactions: DavidHir

·
Registered
14,462 Posts
Which is going to be more important to UDH Blu-ray, HDR or the wider color gamut?
If you had to choose one.
Hands down, P3 (wider color gamut) for front projection. On a flat panel, I'm not so sure.

When I upgraded to HD, the biggest thing I noticed aside from resolution was better color, yet the color gamut with rec 709 is barely larger than 610. The gamut is notably wider with P3 compared to 709. I talked to a film restoration expert who works in P3 and he said the difference is rather large.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Hands down, P3 (wider color gamut) for front projection. On a flat panel, I'm not so sure.

When I upgraded to HD, the biggest thing I noticed aside from resolution was better color, yet the color gamut with rec 709 is barely larger than 610. The gamut is notably wider with P3 compared to 709. I talked to a film restoration expert who works in P3 and he said the difference is rather large.

Yes. I am talking front projector. With HDR it will probably vary film to film.
Better color will be there I would think regardless.

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
Im all for a wider gamut.

3121 - 3140 of 4969 Posts