AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PS3 and my setup is 100% HDMI, my receiver supports every codec out there for blu-ray.

My question is... if I set the PS3 to linear PCM it will output all these codecs correctly to my receiver, correct?

Also I'd like to know which is better, i'd like a list from best to worse: TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, Uncompressed PCM.

It seems that DTS HD Master Audio is about 3-4MBPS/s, TrueHD is around 2MBPS/s and Uncompressed PCM is around 5MBPS/s.. but I heard DTS HD Master Audio is suppose to be around 25MBPS/s?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
1) If the PS3 is set to PCM it should internally decode all audio formats and send out PCM audio to your receiver.

2) Technically they're all the same in that their uncompressed output should be identical.

3) 25mbs/sec is the maximum allowable it rate. Not the minimum or guaranteed bit rate. The differences occur because of bitdepth, sampling rate and number of channels. But since it's a lossless format you shouldn't be concerned about it's size or bitrate.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/14328489

1) If the PS3 is set to PCM it should internally decode all audio formats and send out PCM audio to your receiver.

2) Technically they're all the same in that their uncompressed output should be identical.

3) 25mbs/sec is the maximum allowable it rate. Not the minimum or guaranteed bit rate. The differences occur because of bitdepth, sampling rate and number of channels. But since it's a lossless format you shouldn't be concerned about it's size or bitrate.

QFT.

Lossless is lossless regardless of the type. Also, bitrates will vary from movie to movie, not necessarily depending on the type of audio codec.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts