AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal is to be able to reencode to mkv/m2ts files. The mkv will be using moderate to heavy compression as these will be for TV shows and played back through WMC7. The m2ts files will be using light to moderate compression and will be for Blu-ray backups, keeping HD audio in tact. I would prefer to playback the m2ts files in WMC but dont think it will provide bitstreaming so I would have to us TMT3 Platinum. Finally, I want to be able to strip down and compress some Blu-rays just enough to burn to a BD-25.


Prior to getting into all of this I was using the Shark007 codecs and selected to use the gabest splitter in it's options to playback in WMC7. Everything worked great but when I started wanting to backup Blu-ray most of the encoder programs out there require ffdshow, matroska splitter and avisynth. I found out that I couldn't use the Shark007 codec pack in conjunction with these tools or as their replacement, as in Shark007+avisynth.


Because of all the problems, I uninstalled the codec pack and installed haali splitter, ffdshow x86 and avisynth. Playback in WMC was all over the place. My Fringe episodes had audio but it was extremely low while all movies had no audio at all. The only way I could get audio from the movies was to change my default sound device to s/pdif instead of speakers. This isn't a lasting solution for me because everytime I want to play an actual Blu-ray throught TMT3 Platinum I have to change the sound device back to enable bitstreaming.


After messing with different versions of each program for awhile, I finally found that the official haali splitter v1.9.355.1 used in conjunction with ffdshow v3291 x64 worked as far as playback. All mkv would run through both mkv splitter AND ffdshow audio at the same time. Running through ffdshow automatically increased the volume (without using the volume normalizer or any other tricks) of my Fringe episodes and restored volume on all other mkv files. However, I am now back to square one with these encoder programs as none of them seem to want to work with ffdshow x64 and I am not sure if they like the older version of the haali splitter. I think using the haali splitter over gabest is my first problem but the encoder programs dont like it.


Ripbot does a software check before loading and wont continue loading till I install ffdshow x86. BD Rebuilder will load and extract the a/v stream extremely slow even on normal (only uses 1-15% of my CPU for some reason with random spikes up to 50%) but fails at encoding. If x64 is installed it says none of the codecs are configured properly, if x86 is installed it fails claiming ffdshow version even though I am trying the exact version linked on the forum (3133). If I run BD Rebuilder with the Shark007 codec it is hit and miss with even a/v extracting. If it works at all it's EXTREMELY fast (using 90%+ of both cores) but at some point it fails with a popup message about the x264 file.


Regardless of what I have installed, MakeMKV files always play in fast forward. I have to remux them to m2ts.


Ontop of all this, TMT3 .170 won't play mkv files at all and if I try it resets the audio from HDMI passthrough to HDMI PCM. It will play m2ts files but still resets the audio to HDMI PCM.


After all this I am about ready to pull my hair out. Nothing works with each other; you can re encode but cant playback. You can playback but cant re encode.


Guessing the real issue is that I am trying to run on Windows 7 x64. Most of this software has been developed for use with XP x86.


Anyone have a similar setup or ideas that I can try? Is this just were the Blu-ray game is at now and I need to wait for it's evolution?


Thanks ahead of time even if you just took the time to read all that crap above... lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
well..... The first thing that comes to my mind is that you may want to uninstall everything and start from scratch. Second, shark007 included all those codecs which you installed, so I am unsure why you uninstalled shark007 in the first place.


M2TS playback is very very fickle right now. For playback in WMC7 I highly suggest you stick with MKV for the moment. M2TS files can be played back, but only if they contain AC3/h.264. There are registry hacks around this which are designed to let the media player classic codecs take over for the duties of the native M2TS splitter/codecs but I have never tried it. I know Shark does not recomemnd it.


Two programs I would look into would be clownBD and "another eac3to gui". I have been using clownBD in conjuction with shark007 for over 9-month and have never had a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by somail /forum/post/18241523


well..... The first thing that comes to my mind is that you may want to uninstall everything and start from scratch. Second, shark007 included all those codecs which you installed, so I am unsure why you uninstalled shark007 in the first place.


M2TS playback is very very fickle right now. For playback in WMC7 I highly suggest you stick with MKV for the moment. M2TS files can be played back, but only if they contain AC3/h.264. There are registry hacks around this which are designed to let the media player classic codecs take over for the duties of the native M2TS splitter/codecs but I have never tried it. I know Shark does not recomemnd it.


Two programs I would look into would be clownBD and "another eac3to gui". I have been using clownBD in conjuction with shark007 for over 9-month and have never had a problem.

I uninstalled Shark007 because I was getting a x264 error when running BD Rebuilder. Granted, I didn't try to use it with Ripbot.


For m2ts playback I am fine with using TMT3 Platinum but the fact that it wont playback HD audio is pissing me off. AnyDVD HD ripping to the hdd then using tsmuxer to make a m2ts file with HD audio and TMT3 wont play the HD audio. The problem could be tsmuxer but after googling I cant find anyone else with this problem and txmuxer is supposed to support DTS-HD/TrueHD. I have found a couple threads that explain it is possible to demux HD audio then remux it back into an mkv (no specific details though and so I dont know how to properly do it) but right now TMT3 wont even play mkv files for me atm.


I will take a look at clownBD.


If I might ask, OS are you using?



Edit: Looking at ClownBD info, does it actually convert to mkv or decode? If not, what are you using to do that. ClownBD doesn't look like it applies any form of compression.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
32-bit Win7. I stayed away from x64 because I was afraid of media playback problems.
Although I thought those were figured out. When you used shark007 did you install the normal app, and then install the x64 components afterwards. To use it on a x64 system you need to do two seperate installs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophoric /forum/post/18241620


I uninstalled Shark007 because I was getting a x264 error when running BD Rebuilder. Granted, I didn't try to use it with Ripbot.


For m2ts playback I am fine with using TMT3 Platinum but the fact that it wont playback HD audio is pissing me off. AnyDVD HD ripping to the hdd then using tsmuxer to make a m2ts file with HD audio and TMT3 wont play the HD audio. The problem could be tsmuxer but after googling I cant find anyone else with this problem and txmuxer is supposed to support DTS-HD/TrueHD. I have found a couple threads that explain it is possible to demux HD audio then remux it back into an mkv (no specific details though and so I dont know how to properly do it) but right now TMT3 wont even play mkv files for me atm.


I will take a look at clownBD.


If I might ask, OS are you using?



Edit: Looking at ClownBD info, does it actually convert to mkv or decode? If not, what are you using to do that. ClownBD doesn't look like it applies any form of compression.

I haven't done any encoding since switching to Windows 7 64-bit, BUT I was doing just about the same process you are, but my final step was remuxing the audio/video streams into an untouched .mkv with MKVMerge. I was originally using ffdshow, Haili, avisynth, installed from the CCCP codec pack and MeGUI as a front end for avisynth for encoding, then went with Shark007 pack. Honestly, I was always removing the HD streams and using the cores because my players wouldn't stream HD codec, but My process was AnyDVD HD -> tsMuxerGUI -> then I would either extract the core DTS/AC3 track with Eac3to, and remux with MKVMerge to get a final file, OR I would using MeGUI to re-encode it to a smaller file, depending on what the movie was, and how big it was. My end result was always a mkv though, whether a re-encode, or just a straight up remux of the original streams minus the languages, special features, subs, etc...I was thinking about trying out a couple things this week, I got a couple new BD's I'd like to back up. Let me know exactly what you want the end result to be, and I'll see if I can accomplish it in some way, shape, and form. I've been lazy and need to knock some rust off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by somail /forum/post/18241681


32-bit Win7. I stayed away from x64 because I was afraid of media playback problems.
Although I thought those were figured out. When you used shark007 did you install the normal app, and then install the x64 components afterwards. To use it on a x64 system you need to do two seperate installs.

Yep, installed the first codec pack and configured it then installed x64 and configured it. This method was suggested to another user for an unrelated problem. I just figured it would be good to configure both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pilot /forum/post/18241814


I haven't done any encoding since switching to Windows 7 64-bit, BUT I was doing just about the same process you are, but my final step was remuxing the audio/video streams into an untouched .mkv with MKVMerge. I was originally using ffdshow, Haili, avisynth, installed from the CCCP codec pack and MeGUI as a front end for avisynth for encoding, then went with Shark007 pack. Honestly, I was always removing the HD streams and using the cores because my players wouldn't stream HD codec, but My process was AnyDVD HD -> tsMuxerGUI -> then I would either extract the core DTS/AC3 track with Eac3to, and remux with MKVMerge to get a final file, OR I would using MeGUI to re-encode it to a smaller file, depending on what the movie was, and how big it was. My end result was always a mkv though, whether a re-encode, or just a straight up remux of the original streams minus the languages, special features, subs, etc...I was thinking about trying out a couple things this week, I got a couple new BD's I'd like to back up. Let me know exactly what you want the end result to be, and I'll see if I can accomplish it in some way, shape, and form. I've been lazy and need to knock some rust off

Well, one issue is that I want multiple end results.


For Blu-rays I really like I want light compression while keeping HD Audio. Output format doesn't matter as long as I can get it to bitstream the audio through my Xonar.


For stuff I probably wont watch often or for awhile I want moderate to heavy compression. HD Audio would be nice but it and file type dont matter as long as I am able to play through WMC.


For TV shows file type and audio dont matter at all but I want moderate to heavy compression. Keeping a 45 minute episode to about 1gb or so is ideal or 20gb for a season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
I'm running Windows 7 64bit and I use MeGUI for everything. It works great and it manages all the underlying free tool updates for you automatically. The only think you really need to install separately is AviSynth. On Windows 7 64bit I think you have to change the default path in MeGUI that points to the location of the AviSynth executable. It's in the x86 program files directory rather than the normal program files directory containing 64 bit apps.


Here's a guide
http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...ide_page1.html


I would recommend encoding using the DXVA profiles to ensure hardware decoding compatibility.


The MeGUI program is for encoding only, you will still need a separate disk ripper/decrypter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophoric /forum/post/18241939


Well, one issue is that I want multiple end results.

That's easy ...if you want to invest sometime. If WMC is what you want to play through I have been using .mkv as my final product and not had any problems.

Quote:
For Blu-rays I really like I want light compression while keeping HD Audio. Output format doesn't matter as long as I can get it to bitstream the audio through my Xonar.

I don't have a Xonar, but I can look into what it can do. If You can either go the route of, and this is what I would suggest, stripping out the main video file, and the audio track you want, in this case the HD track, and remux them into a .mkv, which will yield a smaller file than the BD depending of course on the BD's content. This method will have no compression, but will be smaller as you are dropping any special features, extra audio tracks, commentaries, etc..this is my favorite method as it leaves you with a perfect copy of just the movie, doesn't take too long. You're still looking at a 12-28GB final file size, but if you only did light compression you wouldn't be saving that much anyway, and imo the time vs quality just isn't worth it to re-encode, since you want something for this to be I am assuming fairly, if not completely transparent. You can get an 18GB movie down to 8-10GB and retain transparency, but it takes some work, time, and processing power, to give you an idea, it would generally take my Q6600/4GB ram machine about 22-32+ hours to reach a pretty transparent encode that small vs about half an hour to demux strip and remux. I used MeGUI to encode, I'd do some 150MB samples with different x264 settings till I found one that produced what I wanted based on the source, and then start. There's tools that you can use to simplify the process, HandBrake, Ripbot, etc, but I learned with MEGUI, and it would, at the time - things may have improved in the last year, give you a LOT more control over the end quality. Reading up on HandBrake, the last version can demux HD codecs, so it may be a one stop solution for you.

Quote:
For stuff I probably wont watch often or for awhile I want moderate to heavy compression. HD Audio would be nice but it and file type dont matter as long as I am able to play through WMC.


For TV shows file type and audio dont matter at all but I want moderate to heavy compression. Keeping a 45 minute episode to about 1gb or so is ideal or 20gb for a season.

For stuff you don't care too much about I would use Ripbot/HandBrake. Ripbot was my go to for fast encodes that I didn't want to invest a lot of time in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndoggac /forum/post/18242264


I'm running Windows 7 64bit and I use MeGUI for everything. It works great and it manages all the underlying free tool updates for you automatically. The only think you really need to install separately is AviSynth. On Windows 7 64bit I think you have to change the default path in MeGUI that points to the location of the AviSynth executable. It's in the x86 program files directory rather than the normal program files directory containing 64 bit apps.


Here's a guide
http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...ide_page1.html


That guide looks great. I will check it out in detail when I get home tonight! It's nice to hear from someone who is using Windows 7 64bit and has a setup working.


I would recommend encoding using the DXVA profiles to ensure hardware decoding compatibility.


The MeGUI program is for encoding only, you will still need a separate disk ripper/decrypter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pilot /forum/post/18242331


That's easy ...if you want to invest sometime. If WMC is what you want to play through I have been using .mkv as my final product and not had any problems.


I don't have a Xonar, but I can look into what it can do. If You can either go the route of, and this is what I would suggest, stripping out the main video file, and the audio track you want, in this case the HD track, and remux them into a .mkv, which will yield a smaller file than the BD depending of course on the BD's content. This method will have no compression, but will be smaller as you are dropping any special features, extra audio tracks, commentaries, etc..this is my favorite method as it leaves you with a perfect copy of just the movie, doesn't take too long. You're still looking at a 12-28GB final file size, but if you only did light compression you wouldn't be saving that much anyway, and imo the time vs quality just isn't worth it to re-encode, since you want something for this to be I am assuming fairly, if not completely transparent. You can get an 18GB movie down to 8-10GB and retain transparency, but it takes some work, time, and processing power, to give you an idea, it would generally take my Q6600/4GB ram machine about 22-32+ hours to reach a pretty transparent encode that small vs about half an hour to demux strip and remux. I used MeGUI to encode, I'd do some 150MB samples with different x264 settings till I found one that produced what I wanted based on the source, and then start. There's tools that you can use to simplify the process, HandBrake, Ripbot, etc, but I learned with MEGUI, and it would, at the time - things may have improved in the last year, give you a LOT more control over the end quality. Reading up on HandBrake, the last version can demux HD codecs, so it may be a one stop solution for you.


For stuff you don't care too much about I would use Ripbot/HandBrake. Ripbot was my go to for fast encodes that I didn't want to invest a lot of time in.

The problem coming back to ripbot is that it requires the x86 version of ffdshow before it will even load up. I need to have the x64 version installed on my system to be able to have audio playback for some mkv files in WMC.


As for remuxing HD audio into an mkv, that would be nice I couldn't bitstream that audio, could I? TMT3 is not supporting mkv files atm and unless I can get bitstreaming to work through WMC or some other method would there be much of a point?


I tried going with m2ts but TMT3 changed my audio settings automatically from HDMI passthrough to HDMI PCM when I tried to load it. I used tsmuxer to strip a hdd rip (anydvd hd) down to just the movie and HD track in m2ts form.



Edit: I was sitting here mulling it over and I have a spare hdd laying around. I could throw Windows 7 x86 on there to decode then use my x64 install for playback. I would rather figure out another solution before going that route though.


Will mess with it more when I get home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophoric /forum/post/18243525


The problem coming back to ripbot is that it requires the x86 version of ffdshow before it will even load up. I need to have the x64 version installed on my system to be able to have audio playback for some mkv files in WMC.

By default Ripbot uses it's own tools folder that houses all the programs it uses. Like I said, it's been a while since I messed with it, but I seem to remember having an issue like that and having to use two different versions, and Ripbot was using it's version of ffdshow from it's Tools folder, and I was using the x64 ffdshow beta for playback. Unfortunately I have reformatted, but I distinctly remember having some convoluted solution that worked quite well once it was set up. I can get in touch with a buddy of mine that was sort of in encoding guru to me and see if he can recall what we did, he was the one that figured out how to make what I needed to work ...work.


Are you using TMT 3 via 7MC? I used MediaBrowser and had MPC-HC set as the default player. I want to say that now I am only using the Shark007 codec with x64 codec installed over it, 7MC with WMP for backups, and TMT 3 only for BD.


This might be related

http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-Get...hark007-MPC-HC

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-...io-thread.html

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...media-browser/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pilot /forum/post/18242331


Reading up on HandBrake, the last version can demux HD codecs, so it may be a one stop solution for you.

Apparently it won't see the DTS-HD track unless you demux and strip the core out, but then it isn't HD anymore, maybe I am missing something. I tried one this morning an it didn't even show an option for DTS, much less DTS-HD, and yes there's a DTS audio track, it's a DTS-HD MA demo disc. When I converted it using AC3 5.1 Pass-through, which was the only option other than AAC, the final file had a AAC 2 channel stereo track. I'll try running it through tsMuxer and getting the DTS-HD track, and seeing if it can see that, and what the final result is. I am also going to try ClownBD to see what that can do, if not back to MeGUI.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top