I just read this interesting article that was just posted in CE Pro website;

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/17509.html

Quote:
HD DVD: Blu-ray Camp Spreads Lies, Misinformation

Posted by Jason Unger on Jan 23 2007 @ 12:27 PM

HD DVD: Blu-ray Camp Spreads Lies, Misinformation

Blu-ray: HD DVD Can't Prevail Without Studio Support

Microsoft Misleads on Xbox 360 IPTV

While LG and Warner Bros. were making headlines at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) for their solutions to possibly end the high-definition DVD format war, the Blu-ray and HD DVD camps were busy duking it out. I sat down with representatives from both sides for in-depth interviews. Click here to read the Blu-ray side.

"It's all lies."

So said David Chaplin, manager of the HD DVD Mobile Experience, when I told him I had sat down with representatives from the Blu-ray camp at CES and wanted to get the HD DVD camp's perspective on the format war.

Samsung's M55 Laptop with HD DVD drive. Samsung manufactures the BD-P1000 Blu-ray player.

"There's nothing worse than misinformation," said Chaplin, arguing that support for Blu-ray isn't as rock-solid as the camp would have you believe.

For example, Samsung -- developer of the BD-P1000 Blu-ray player and recently announced BD-P1200 -- is not squarely in the Blu-ray camp, Chaplin argued, because of the company's M55 laptop computer, which includes an HD DVD drive.

"That tells me Samsung has lost all faith in [Blu-ray]," he said. "It shows their lack of confidence in [it]."

View the HD DVD Press Conference at CES.

The Blu-ray storage capacity advantage -- 51GB HD DVD discs aside -- is a "moot point," he said. "I can't think of any title that would need more space, from a studio's standpoint," said Chaplin. A disc like King Kong, he argued, is over 3 hours long, and the movie, commentary tracks and more fit on one 30 GB disc.

Related: HD DVD Press Conference Slideshow

Is the HD DVD camp worried about the number of PlayStation 3 systems with built-in Blu-ray players on the market? "Not at all," said Chaplin. "They're buying it for game titles. If they wanted a movie player, they would have bought a cheaper machine."

Toshiba announced the HD-A20 HD DVD Player at CES.

"Our goal is content," he said. "The studios don't want to be caught in a monopoly," he said, and that Sony is trying to monopolize the manufacturing process.

Chaplin argued that manufacturing HD DVD discs in more cost effective and that the camp is adding more and more manufacturers, including Onkyo and Meridian. "We've been gaining more everyday," he said.

What about LG's Super Multi Blue player? "We're happy to have dual formats on the market," he said, despite the fact that the LG unit doesn't feature all the HD DVD interactivity. "It's actually in our best interest," he said, "because our discs are cheaper."

Selling HD DVD players at a loss -- something that the Blu-ray camp questions the feasibility of -- doesn't seem to phase Chaplin. "That's just the way it is," he said.

He argued that the manufacturing standard for HD DVD players and the ability to do combo discs is huge. "That's something they'll never have the capability to do," said Chaplin.

For 2007, the camp's goal is to have 600 movies available on HD DVD by the year's end.

And what about the format war? "Everybody's hesitant because of it," he said. But, he asked, "Sony makes VHS tapes, don't they?"

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
and microsoft dont?

or as used by those with a firm command of queens english but who choose to abrieviate for quick type forums,

and microsoft does not?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandley /forum/post/0

and microsoft dont?

Come on man, you're from the UK home of the Queen's English: It's "Microsoft doesn't?"

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
and that sums up this thread already

P.S

Most of the english dont use queens english, well except for pompus pricks

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandley /forum/post/0

and that sums up this thread already

P.S

Most of the english dont use queens english, well except for pompus pricks

Is that what they're calling educated people over in the UK these days?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Lol!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Them's fightin' words!!11

P.S.

1) HD DVDs aren't usually cheaper, at least for us consumers.

2) I think 45/51 GB discs would be beneficial for some 4 hour movies.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Heytow /forum/post/0

Gee, I thought Queens English was from Brooklyn

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videonut /forum/post/0

Wow! You also deserve a ruler across the knuckles for poor spelling!

tis a forum, i didnt realise we come here to spell check to feel superior

lol, just having a laugh guys

·
Registered
469 Posts

Quote:
Blu-ray Camp Spreads Lies, Misinformation! David Chaplin: HD DVD

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brywalker /forum/post/0

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Funny stuff.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Oh and to be precise, its not dosent, as you said as that would be bad english, on which you tried to correct me and failed terribly ie

"It's "Microsoft doesn't",

if i were to be pedantic, it should be "And microsoft does not".

hehe, i prefer slang, everyone knows what you mean then...........

I guess david chaplin didnt hear Amir talk about BD50s then..................

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Look can we just get back on topic, PLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEE!

·
Super Moderator
21,734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGOSIAN /forum/post/0

Look can we just get back on topic, PLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEE!

this thread is already a disaster and is only going to get worse thanks to an inflammatory title

topic closed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.