AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard trying to get one for my htpc...


1. Did sony stop making them? I checked like 3 times on their site and they're nowhere to be found, i cant even find dvd drives



2. Do all slim drives eject the discs in the laptop kinda way? i dont know how to explain it, but i don't like it



3.Aren't there slim blu-ray drives from known brands like samsung, lg, pioneer? all i can find is generic brands
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbiglou /forum/post/17041666


Funny thing is that you can get a normal sized Bluray drive for $40.

but regular sized drives won't fit on mini atx cases
, damn i don't know what to do


This is the only drive i've found from known brands =/ and it's not even on the lg site:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics...0916947&sr=8-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,824 Posts

Quote:
known brands

Interesting requirement -

When it comes to known brands, what's "known" in regards to BD drives is often very diffferent from "known" in regards to regular CE stuff.

Quote:
Wow, almost 200$ , way too expensive, i might do better buying a ps3 =/

You probably are - You will never (ever) save money building a HTPC just for BD playback. Far, far easier just to buy a standalone or PS3 and be done with it.

By the time you buy the drive, player, + AnyDVD HD you could have bought a couple of standalones...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt /forum/post/17043801


Interesting requirement -

When it comes to known brands, what's "known" in regards to BD drives is often very diffferent from "known" in regards to regular CE stuff.



You probably are - You will never (ever) save money building a HTPC just for BD playback. Far, far easier just to buy a standalone or PS3 and be done with it.

By the time you buy the drive, player, + AnyDVD HD you could have bought a couple of standalones...

regular ce stuff?


My main concern is not saving money, what i want is to have a player "that can do it all" , to have just one device ... i can play db-discs on the ps3 but i cannot play mkv files, files larger than 4 gb, etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijs_Verwest /forum/post/17044028


regular ce stuff?

CE = consumer electronics


Sony was never a big player in PC / OEM components

Its optical drive division is mainly a Joint Venture with NEC since 2006, and most of the current drive designs would be more NEC.


Anyway, the major brands manufacturing BD-drives are LG, Panasonic, Pioneer, Lite-On and to a smaller extend Sony-NEC-Optiarc. These brands have all been around for a while and made their names during the DVD-writer era.

Laptop-slim (12.7mm) BD drives are currently limited to LG, Panasonic (Mashita) and limited Optiarc models at the moment. Since these are OEM components you will have a hard time finding them from the casual manufacturer websites.


As earlier posters suggest, it's probably better to stick to desktop BD drives for better performance and value, in addition to potential BD-writing ability which will be VERY helpful in the coming future. The HP Slimline, Apex, Lian-li, and some of the very new Rosewill mini-itx cubes all support 5.25" ODDs.


If you really prefer slim ODDs, the current popular model is the Panasonic UJ-120 (2x BD, which can be had for ~80-100 from Asian or California OEM sources. For better warrantee / service the exact model is also available by case maker Silverstone as SST-TOB02, for a higher premium. Keep in mind this is a native IDE drive with standard JAE-50 pin but can converted with adapters to regular 50pin IDE or SATA connectors. For ACHI reasons one may prefer to look into SATA native ODDs, and they are still pricey at this time. The models include UJ-130/140, LG CT10N (mentioned earlier), and Sony BD-5500S (not 5500A), some of these newer drives can get to 4x speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyzz /forum/post/17050328


CE = consumer electronics


Sony was never a big player in PC / OEM components

Its optical drive division is mainly a Joint Venture with NEC since 2006, and most of the current drive designs would be more NEC.


Anyway, the major brands manufacturing BD-drives are LG, Panasonic, Pioneer, Lite-On and to a smaller extend Sony-NEC-Optiarc. These brands have all been around for a while and made their names during the DVD-writer era.

Laptop-slim (12.7mm) BD drives are currently limited to LG, Panasonic (Mashita) and limited Optiarc models at the moment. Since these are OEM components you will have a hard time finding them from the casual manufacturer websites.


As earlier posters suggest, it's probably better to stick to desktop BD drives for better performance and value, in addition to potential BD-writing ability which will be VERY helpful in the coming future. The HP Slimline, Apex, Lian-li, and some of the very new Rosewill mini-itx cubes all support 5.25" ODDs.


If you really prefer slim ODDs, the current popular model is the Panasonic UJ-120 (2x BD, which can be had for ~80-100 from Asian or California OEM sources. For better warrantee / service the exact model is also available by case maker Silverstone as SST-TOB02, for a higher premium. Keep in mind this is a native IDE drive with standard JAE-50 pin but can converted with adapters to regular 50pin IDE or SATA connectors. For ACHI reasons one may prefer to look into SATA native ODDs, and they are still pricey at this time. The models include UJ-130/140, LG CT10N (mentioned earlier), and Sony BD-5500S (not 5500A), some of these newer drives can get to 4x speed.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, i appreciate it
i'd like to buy a native slim sata drive, i think i'm gonna go with the LG CT10N , since its the only one i can find hahaha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbiglou /forum/post/17041666


Funny thing is that you can get a normal sized Bluray drive for $40.

Where did you find a bluray drive for that price? The best I've found are around $60 and that's for a LiteOn that doesn't support burning any optical disc format ( http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...iteria=AA75604 ).


Have you found any good prices for a bluray burner? I missed a recent promo at Newegg for an LG GGW-H20L for $169 and now they're all out.


I have a Lian Li PC-V800 case and the drive can't be longer than about 7.5 - 7.75" or it won't fit.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top