AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have:

Dell Optiplex GX620 (Small Form Factor) ~ Pentium D 3.2ghz, 3gb Ram, 256mb ATI Radeon X600.

Viewsonic PJ551D Projector ~ 1024x768 XGA

So here is my question. I use this setup in my bedroom, mostly for Netflix streaming and dvd playing. Works beautifully for this.

I want to upgrade the cd drive in it to a Blu-ray drive, not necessarily to get the best HD quality picture (although it would be nice) out of my 1024x768 projector. I want it for more of a convenience. I have a lot of Blu-ray discs and get them sent to me from netflix and I want the ability to play them in my bedroom instead of the living room blu-ray player just as a convenience.

The dilema: The GX620 is small form factor, so I need a slim blu-ray drive as well as a slim video card. I have been searching alot around the net, but i am still unclear as to the BARE MINIMUM video card i need to just play a blu-ray disc. Like I said before, I dont expect HD quality picture out of the projector, i just want smooth playback. Would the video card i have suffice at 1024x768?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksthepro /forum/post/19647082

I have:

Dell Optiplex GX620 (Small Form Factor) ~ Pentium D 3.2ghz, 3gb Ram, 256mb ATI Radeon X600.

Viewsonic PJ551D Projector ~ 1024x768 XGA

So here is my question. I use this setup in my bedroom, mostly for Netflix streaming and dvd playing. Works beautifully for this.

I want to upgrade the cd drive in it to a Blu-ray drive, not necessarily to get the best HD quality picture (although it would be nice) out of my 1024x768 projector. I want it for more of a convenience. I have a lot of Blu-ray discs and get them sent to me from netflix and I want the ability to play them in my bedroom instead of the living room blu-ray player just as a convenience.

The dilema: The GX620 is small form factor, so I need a slim blu-ray drive as well as a slim video card. I have been searching alot around the net, but i am still unclear as to the BARE MINIMUM video card i need to just play a blu-ray disc. Like I said before, I dont expect HD quality picture out of the projector, i just want smooth playback. Would the video card i have suffice at 1024x768?

Thanks for any input!

I bought this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121407 for my Optiplex GX280sff, and it works fine for BD playback. Plus it has HDMI (as well as DVI and VGA). It does have a fan, but it's very quiet. Occasionally, I think I hear it, but I'm not sure if it's the CPU fan or video card fan.

I ended up buying an external BD/DVD-R/CDRW drive (slim style), since I also want to play BD's on my notebook. I forget the brand of BD, but the actual drive in the enclosure is identified as an HP.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksthepro /forum/post/19647702

how is the power draw from the video card with the small psu in the optiplex? Experienced any problems with that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksthepro /forum/post/19647715

oh, and what processor is in your gx280? P4?

My 280 has a P4 2.8HT, so you should be ahead of me there. I have 3GB of RAM and a 2TB drive and Win7, so it's definitely not 'stock'! So far, there haven't been any problems with the power supply. I haven't read of any issues with power consumption from this card.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as advice or just me recounting my experiences, but we had seven of those 620SFF's at work. One used the integrated video and is still working fine. One has run with the cover off for about 2 years (the systems are about 4.5 years old). The five that had actual video cards no longer function. Evidently, the 620's had heat issues that caused capacitor rupture. The video card's heat is mostly blocked by the hard drive and builds up in the area below it and the motherboard... right where the capacitors are.

What I was going to do to one that wasn't practical to run with the cover off was to use a hole saw and cut a round hole in the case cover (the part that removes). I was going to put a round metal grill that would go over a PC case fan over that area so the heat from the video card could blow out, or I was going to install a fan in that panel. I never got that far, though, as the PC died before I could do it. The later models - the 745's and 755's - didn't have this problem and actually have a fan on the hard drive caddy.

I am replacing my 280 with an Optiplex 755 with a Core 2 Quad (Q9400 2.66) because I got a super deal on it. Otherwise, I'd be keeping the GX280.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksthepro /forum/post/19647851

would this video card do the trick? Im trying to go bear minimum here as you can see haha.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-100-_-Product

I couldn't tell you. I relied on suggestions from this forum in choosing the card that I did... after first buying one (a different card) that wouldn't do audio of HDMI. There was a rebate on it when I got it bringing the price down to around $35.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_nc /forum/post/19647868

My 280 has a P4 2.8HT, so you should be ahead of me there. I have 3GB of RAM and a 2TB drive and Win7, so it's definitely not 'stock'! So far, there haven't been any problems with the power supply. I haven't read of any issues with power consumption from this card.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as advice or just me recounting my experiences, but we had seven of those 620SFF's at work. One used the integrated video and is still working fine. One has run with the cover off for about 2 years (the systems are about 4.5 years old). The five that had actual video cards no longer function. Evidently, the 620's had heat issues that caused capacitor rupture. The video card's heat is mostly blocked by the hard drive and builds up in the area below it and the motherboard... right where the capacitors are.

What I was going to do to one that wasn't practical to run with the cover off was to use a hole saw and cut a round hole in the case cover (the part that removes). I was going to put a round metal grill that would go over a PC case fan over that area so the heat from the video card could blow out, or I was going to install a fan in that panel. I never got that far, though, as the PC died before I could do it. The later models - the 745's and 755's - didn't have this problem and actually have a fan on the hard drive caddy.

I am replacing my 280 with an Optiplex 755 with a Core 2 Quad (Q9400 2.66) because I got a super deal on it. Otherwise, I'd be keeping the GX280.

Yeah I was worried about this as well since the case is so small. It does have an actual video card from the factory. I havent noticed any heat problems though. The video card does have a fan on it.

As for the video card I just posted, It seems like it should work...But it doesn't have a fan which worries me. I could always hook one up, or do like you suggested an cut a hole in the case.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You might ask others more knowledgeable than me about that card. From what I read, ATI chipsets seemed to work a bit better than Nvidia's with HDMI. The card you referenced is an Nvidia, by the way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_nc /forum/post/19648799

You might ask others more knowledgeable than me about that card. From what I read, ATI chipsets seemed to work a bit better than Nvidia's with HDMI. The card you referenced is an Nvidia, by the way.

I wont be needing HDMI, I only use VGA because thats the only connection my projector has. I will do more research and find out the best solution. From what i have read, most all modern HD video cards 512mb or above should work fine. I just gotta find one thats slim, cheap, works with my power supply and has a built in fan....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.