AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got onto the Blu ray bandwagon after years of waiting for them to drop down in price and the technology to be refined. Even on my old 50' Sony DLP TV, 720P blu ray looks freaking awesome, I can't wait to see it on a new 1080P Samsung whenever I can swing the funds. However, the fact that Blu Ray has this HD audio that can only be decoded properly using HDMI into a HD reciever annoys the hell out of me as im stuck using digital coxial going into my older Yamaha 5.1 box setup that doesn't have HDMI inputs. Needless to say, its been really frustrating to try and adjust my sound levels and balance on my Yamaha reciever so I can freaking hear people talking in movies and then having to deal with the loud scenes without blowing out my damn speakers and sub woofer in the process cause I have tg have the volume cranked up so loud to be able to hear and understand peoples speeches. I changed the downbit setting on my Sony BX510 to Stereo instead of Surround but its still impossible to watch a Blu ray moving without constantly having to use the reciever remotes volume control to keep from pissing off my neighboors.


Anything else I can do besides either taking the optical audio out from my TV and putting it into my Yamaha HTR-5930 5.1 DTS reciever vs the the straight coaxial cable into the Blue ray player and hope that somehow it "changes" the audio balance or am I stuck with having to buy a new 5.1 surround HD sound box setup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,857 Posts
Your anger is not fully justified. A few things to clarify:


1. The "HD audio" in Blu-ray movies is not high definition/resolution, just uncompressed or 'losslessly' compressed. Not everyone even can tell between the old DD/dts and the new "HD audio". So your issues will likely carry over to the new formats.


2. HDMI is not the only way to "decode properly" the "HD audio". A player that has MCH analogue outs can do it as long as the non-HDMI receiver has MCH analogue inputs.


3. The wide dynamic range (the "sound levels and balance") you complain about has nothing to do with lossless or lossy compression nor the cables (optical vs coax). Your old receiver may have something to limit it like night mode or dynamic range compression.


4. Low dialogue level or poor dialogue intelligibility can also be due to centre speaker placement, calibration and room effects. Older receivers may have settings for dialogue enhancement or just increasing the channel volume.


You don't have to upgrade (some people still use optical/coax/MCH analogue) but doing so will bring other benefits in addition to the above.


BTW this thread isn't particularly a BD player issue, more of system set-up and new formats.


Edited with minor corrections.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
You don't have to upgrade (some people still use optical/coax/MCH analogue) but doing so will bring other benefits in addition to the above.


I just went from a ONKYO 6.1 non HDMI AVR with the 5.1 inputs to a new ONKYO 7.2 without, and with HDMI. I never got the audio balance right on the old AVR but with the new ONKYO and 2 new speakers, all 9 Polk RM series, and moving the rear center to the front having one top and one under panel, wired parallel, ran Audyssey once, I have a surround sound system.

Audyssey is the addition that makes the impact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts
The problem is real. When DVD was king, playing audio into a TV meant the 5.1 Dolby Digital audio was downmixed to stereo. That activated a dynamic range control (DRC) function inside the DD decoder. Fast forward to Blu-ray and even if the sound is downmixed to stereo, there is no DRC on most soundtracks, particularly DTS. If you have a TrueHD disc, then the S/PDIF output will be regular DD audio and it has the DRC signals. TrueHD also carries DRC information, but it has to be turned on in the BD player. But again, since most BDs are DTS, there is no DRC function. Hence you chase the volume control.


There are some solutions, like the SRS TruVolume as build into several TV sets. Make sure your new Samsung has it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts
You'll want a TV with SRS TruVolume. Info .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,374 Posts
But the sony player DOES have DRC (Dynamic Range Control). 1ceTr0n, all you need to do is turn on that setting in your player and crank up you center channel until the dialog is clear. That should level out the loud and soft parts like the SRS feature the previous poster is talking about.


I agree that BD audio is annoying for us with legacy receivers without HDMI. What's more annoying to me than the crazy dynamics is the fact that many BD discs today don't even have a DD or DTS 5.1 track. They have stereo only, which sucks. So I can rent a DVD and get 5.1 and SD resolution or I can rent a BD and get 2.0 and HD resolution. But I can have both 5.1 AND HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1472633/blu-ray-hd-audio-is-pissing-me-off#post_23319847


But the sony player DOES have DRC (Dynamic Range Control). 1ceTr0n, all you need to do is turn on that setting in your player
The problem is that the player's DRC function only works when the soundtrack is encoded with DRC data. That only happens with Dolby soundtracks.
Quote:
I agree that BD audio is annoying for us with legacy receivers without HDMI. What's more annoying to me than the crazy dynamics is the fact that many BD discs today don't even have a DD or DTS 5.1 track. They have stereo only, which sucks. So I can rent a DVD and get 5.1 and SD resolution or I can rent a BD and get 2.0 and HD resolution. But I can have both 5.1 AND HD.
Can you identify a few BDs that have only a stereo track where the same title on DVD has 5.1?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n  /t/1472633/blu-ray-hd-audio-is-pissing-me-off#post_23318943


Uh, can someone respond in more plain kings english?
in plain English, get a new-generation receiver, the prices are lower than they ever have been, you get more for your dollar than ever before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler  /t/1472633/blu-ray-hd-audio-is-pissing-me-off#post_23320312


Can you identify a few BDs that have only a stereo track where the same title on DVD has 5.1?
Sure, nearly every recent title I've rented in the past year or so (off the top of my head: Life of Pi, Argo, Skyfall, Jack Reacher, Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, etc.). Even the complete Star Wars BD set I got for Xmas. Here's the trick they play though. The DD or DTS 5.1 track does exist on the disc, but only on the foreign language tracks. The 5.1 tracks used to be common, but now I'm actually surprised when I get a disc that has one.


So is there some sort of list that says what tracks are on each disc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,857 Posts
I've also noticed my Sony BDP has Audio DRC but the manual does not say it's DD only. The Auto mode says 'Performs playback at the dynamic range specified by the disc (BD-ROM only). 'Standard' mode: Performs playback at a standard compression level.


The Yamaha HTR-5930 has a night listening mode (enhancer), with manual adjustment of the centre channel and careful positioning of the speaker should be enough in most situations. I thought when I mentioned these before these are in plain and simple English.


To listen through TV speakers in 2CH with SRS TruVolume for MCH movies is not the best way forward IMO.
 

·
Registered
Vizio PQ65-F1, Onkyo TX-RZ810, LG UBK90, Sony BDP-S380, Toshiba HD-XA2, M&K Speakers
Joined
·
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n  /t/1472633/blu-ray-hd-audio-is-pissing-me-off/0_100#post_23313247


So I finally got onto the Blu ray bandwagon after years of waiting for them to drop down in price and the technology to be refined. Even on my old 50' Sony DLP TV, 720P blu ray looks freaking awesome, I can't wait to see it on a new 1080P Samsung whenever I can swing the funds. However, the fact that Blu Ray has this HD audio that can only be decoded properly using HDMI into a HD reciever annoys the hell out of me as im stuck using digital coxial going into my older Yamaha 5.1 box setup that doesn't have HDMI inputs. Needless to say, its been really frustrating to try and adjust my sound levels and balance on my Yamaha reciever so I can freaking hear people talking in movies and then having to deal with the loud scenes without blowing out my damn speakers and sub woofer in the process cause I have tg have the volume cranked up so loud to be able to hear and understand peoples speeches. I changed the downbit setting on my Sony BX510 to Stereo instead of Surround but its still impossible to watch a Blu ray moving without constantly having to use the reciever remotes volume control to keep from pissing off my neighboors.


Anything else I can do besides either taking the optical audio out from my TV and putting it into my Yamaha HTR-5930 5.1 DTS reciever vs the the straight coaxial cable into the Blue ray player and hope that somehow it "changes" the audio balance or am I stuck with having to buy a new 5.1 surround HD sound box setup?

Although newer/more expensive equipment offers the potential to improve your viewing and listening experience, you should be able to enjoy perfectly fine audio from your blu-ray player with your equipment.


Connect your blu-ray player directly to your receiver using whichever digital audio connection is available (coax or optical).

Be sure to set your blu-ray player so the audio connection you have chosen is the primary audio output.

Be sure to set your player to output dolby digital and/or dts via the selected digital audio connection (ie. "bitstream).

This should send full dolby digital or dts multi-channel audio to your receiver - although this won't be "lossless" audio, it will still be excellent quality, at least as good as you are experiencing with DVD audio.

And there is no reason channel balancing will be any different than you are used to dealing with on DVDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca  /t/1472633/blu-ray-hd-audio-is-pissing-me-off#post_23320815


I've also noticed my Sony BDP has Audio DRC but the manual does not say it's DD only. The Auto mode says 'Performs playback at the dynamic range specified by the disc (BD-ROM only). 'Standard' mode: Performs playback at a standard compression level.
The Auto mode is part of Dolby TrueHD. It does not exist in DD or DTS.
Quote:
To listen through TV speakers in 2CH with SRS TruVolume for MCH movies is not the best way forward IMO.
Quite correct. For some reason I was under the impression the OP was talking about the sound on his TV, but now I see he was using the Yamaha AVR all along. That makes Rich86's answer my choice for "thumbs up" vote. The Blu-rays ought to sound just as good as the DVDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast  /t/1472633/blu-ray-hd-audio-is-pissing-me-off#post_23320854


My Netflix rental of Skyfall plays back (after ten minutes of forced garbage) in DTS-HD Master.

Argo as well.

In English.
I'm talking about lossy, not HD. I only have optical on my amp. DD 5.1 (lossy) in Spanish only on those titles for me. I guess I need to get a new amp or learn a new language.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler  /t/1472633/blu-ray-hd-audio-is-pissing-me-off#post_23321042


The Auto mode is part of Dolby TrueHD. It does not exist in DD or DTS.

I see but why different implementation of DRC between the two? It makes it rather confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86  /t/1472633/blu-ray-hd-audio-is-pissing-me-off#post_23320958


Connect your blu-ray player directly to your receiver using whichever digital audio connection is available (coax or optical)....

And there is no reason channel balancing will be any different than you are used to dealing with on DVDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler  /t/1472633/blu-ray-hd-audio-is-pissing-me-off#post_23321042


That makes Rich86's answer my choice for "thumbs up" vote. The Blu-rays ought to sound just as good as the DVDs.

We're going round in circles. The OP said at the outset that he already was using coax to the receiver and tried both surround and stereo. The complaint is too wide dynamic range and dialogue intelligibility and implies that it is different from DVDs and one of the reasons seems to be dts used predominently in BDs therefore not having DRC. So just suggesting he uses the same connection isn't going to solve anything.
 

·
Registered
Vizio PQ65-F1, Onkyo TX-RZ810, LG UBK90, Sony BDP-S380, Toshiba HD-XA2, M&K Speakers
Joined
·
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca  /t/1472633/blu-ray-hd-audio-is-pissing-me-off/0_100#post_23321761


I see but why different implementation of DRC between the two? It makes it rather confusing.


We're going round in circles. The OP said at the outset that he already was using coax to the receiver and tried both surround and stereo. The complaint is too wide dynamic range and dialogue intelligibility and implies that it is different from DVDs and one of the reasons seems to be dts used predominently in BDs therefore not having DRC. So just suggesting he uses the same connection isn't going to solve anything.

I run a Sony blu-ray player (BDP-S350) to a non-HDMI Yamaha receiver (RX-V1) in our secondary home theater system using hdmi to the TV & optical digital cable for audio. It works fine. There is no reason why his current electronics should not also work fine, if they are set up correctly. Part of what I suggested mentioned making sure his player was outputting native lossy DD & DTS via his digital audio cable as the primary audio output. He also did not mention any channel balancing he has or has not done in his receiver + no speaker setup info. I expect more adjusting, reading and experimenting would serve him well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1472633/blu-ray-hd-audio-is-pissing-me-off#post_23321414


I'm talking about lossy, not HD. I only have optical on my amp. DD 5.1 (lossy) in Spanish only on those titles for me. I guess I need to get a new amp or learn a new language.
On discs with HD lossless audio, there is no option using disc menu navigation to access the lossy audio version. But it is there. To reach it, select the main HD audio soundtrack from the disc. Usually the player just defaults to it. In the player's audio setup menu, set the S/PDIF output to bitstream. Make sure the "secondary audio" is turned off.


Now you will have access to regular DD and DTS bitstreams via the optical or coax output.


You are getting stereo because the player is set to output PCM on S/PDIF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca  /t/1472633/blu-ray-hd-audio-is-pissing-me-off#post_23321761


I see but why different implementation of DRC between the two? It makes it rather confusing.
When DRC was first implemented in DD, the year was ~1992. It was for Movies and TV.


There was about a decade between the implementation of DRC in DD vs TrueHD. Evolution happened.
Quote:
We're going round in circles. The OP said at the outset that he already was using coax to the receiver and tried both surround and stereo. The complaint is too wide dynamic range and dialogue intelligibility and implies that it is different from DVDs and one of the reasons seems to be dts used predominently in BDs therefore not having DRC. So just suggesting he uses the same connection isn't going to solve anything.
My error was thinking that he used DVD in a downmix mode, which activates the DRC. If in full 5.1, with night mode off, he was getting the same dynamics from DVDs as from BDs.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top