AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those not familiar with the Howard Stern Show, many of the advertisements on his show are actually just scripts provided to him by the company producing the ad and Howard just reads them on the air. So, at the end of today's show (1/28/08) Howard read an ad promoting "HD DVD and Blu-ray movies by Warner Home Video." Both HD DVD and Blu-ray were mentioned at least twice in the ad.

What makes it even more funny is that the ad included that Warner Home Video movies on HD DVD and Blu-ray are available at FYE.

Obviously, it's an old ad (despite the fact that the show was live today), but I found it funny given all the recent events.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I missed today's show, but I find this interesting because just last week I was thinking about how odd it was that neither format had been advertised on his show before. I thought it would be a great way to advertise as many niche products seem to be advertised on his show.

It's also surprising that HDM never comes up when Howard is talking about movies and screeners that he watches, he brings up his home theatre setup sometimes and talks about VOD services (maybe only because he is personally vested in that technology).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholmes /forum/post/12955068

For those not familiar with the Howard Stern Show, many of the advertisements on his show are actually just scripts provided to him by the company producing the ad and Howard just reads them on the air. So, at the end of today's show (1/28/08) Howard read an ad promoting "HD DVD and Blu-ray movies by Warner Home Video." Both HD DVD and Blu-ray were mentioned at least twice in the ad.

What makes it even more funny is that the ad included that Warner Home Video movies on HD DVD and Blu-ray are available at FYE.

Obviously, it's an old ad (despite the fact that the show was live today), but I found it funny given all the recent events.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Both he and Gary seem to have high tech stuff, and although Gary has mentioned DVD-Audio discs in passing, neither one has got on a red or blue bandwagon - or even mentioned HD DVD discs or either format.

I guess if either Sony or Toshiba decided to advertise, they would suddenly become "loyal"!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have been saying since these formats came around that they should have been advertising on a show that requires other technological gizmos to listen to. For the life of me I can't comprehend how clueless non-technical execs can be. This isn't even taking into account the fact that Howard loves the latest gadgets and is pretty much a geek like me...seems the BDA and Tosh are late to the party.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I heard the ad as well and thought it was amusing considering. I have heard Howard read an ad for a Sony laptop with BR built in. This was a while back though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Why isn't it up-to-date? Warner is still promoting both formats (as witnessed by current half off promos at Amazon).

They are still releasing on both formats at least until June.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointless2 /forum/post/12961545

Why isn't it up-to-date? Warner is still promoting both formats (as witnessed by current half off promos at Amazon).

They are still releasing on both formats at least until June.

In my opinion, it is old for 2 reasons:

1) I think it is unlikely that Warner is spending time, effort, and money creating advertisements which include HD DVD after its decision to stop supporting the format (regardless of the official stop date),

2) FYE recently announced it is dropping much of its HD DVD support in stores (only carrying high demand titles).

So, add the two of these together and you the HD DVD portion of the ad is essentially advertising limited time availability of Warner movies at a store that only offers limited title selection. In other words, not a very worthwhile investment in marketing money.

It's of course possible the ad is new, but it seems very unlikely based on conventional marketing wisdom.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
did he have a Warner exec on his show stripping to some stupid game?

·
Registered
222 Posts
During Robin's news last week she began to mention HD DVD/Blu-ray and asked Howard if he had any of the new formats. Howard said he did but he wasn't all that sure. Then he went on to say he couldn't notice any difference with picture quality.
The funny thing was that Robin raised the question to start talking about the two formats but never got to the actual news story which was probably about Toshiba lowering the prices on the players. She just asked the question, they talked about the formats for a little bit and she just moved on to the next news segment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts