AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired over 500 blu ray and HD DVD's. Looking to back them up and play them instead over some sort of network player. What is the best way to accomplish this? Currently have a PS3 and HD DVD player, but would prefer everything on one.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
There are several options for you, each with their own positives and negatives. Personally, I'm using an NMT (networked media tank). There are several different brands and models. The most popular right now is the Popcorn Hour A-110. I'm using an HDX-1000, which is fairly similar. They can play from whatever network storage you end up using. Another option is an HTPC (home theater PC).

CJ

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Be prepared to get a lot of hard drives if you want to store all of your ripped BDs and HD-DVDs at the original quality (i.e., not recompressing to reduce the file size). I have found that on average you may be able to store around 40 movies (I.e., just the movie itself without and the menus, supplements and just keeping the English surround audio track) per TB of hard disk. Thus to backup 500 HD discs would require around 13 TB of hard drive space.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ron,

What method are you using for ripping and are you keeping all of the extraneous crap? (extras, languages, etc) Back of the napkin, it sounds like you are taking up 20-25G for each movie, which seems extreme. When I use either MakeMKV or DVDShrink at 0% compression, most movies are maybe 4-5G. Just curious.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDog1 /forum/post/16931827

Ron,

What method are you using for ripping and are you keeping all of the extraneous crap? (extras, languages, etc) Back of the napkin, it sounds like you are taking up 20-25G for each movie, which seems extreme. When I use either MakeMKV or DVDShrink at 0% compression, most movies are maybe 4-5G. Just curious.

I currently use MakeMKV (to make an mkv) or Clown_BD (to make a ts), only keeping original video and audio track I need (generally DTS/TrueHD and an Ac3 track). If there are Blu Rays that I want to encode down I will use Ripbot264, encoding the movies down to 8GB. MakeMKV/Clown_BD takes about 15 minutes, ripbot takes about 10-12 hours for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

Quote:

Ron,

I have plain old DVD's whose main feature won't fit into 4-5gig. If you have BR or HD-DVD's that size, you have some major compression going on.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts

Quote:

Ron,

There's no way you're using 0% compression and getting a BluRay at 4-5GB. Also, DVDShrink doesn't even work for BluRays. Are you sure you aren't talking about regular DVDs?

CJ

·
Registered
4,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/16932272

I currently use MakeMKV (to make an mkv) or Clown_BD (to make a ts), only keeping original video and audio track I need (generally DTS/TrueHD and an Ac3 track). If there are Blu Rays that I want to encode down I will use Ripbot264, encoding the movies down to 8GB. MakeMKV/Clown_BD takes about 15 minutes, ripbot takes about 10-12 hours for obvious reasons.

Does encoding mean "shrinking"?

I want to do exactly what you are doing but I also have an extensive HDDVD collection. I have coming the LG combo BD/HDDVD reader but can't figure out what media player to use. Are you HTPC or media player?

thx

bob

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob /forum/post/16937757

Does encoding mean "shrinking"?

I want to do exactly what you are doing but I also have an extensive HDDVD collection. I have coming the LG combo BD/HDDVD reader but can't figure out what media player to use. Are you HTPC or media player?

thx

bob

Yeah, when I say encode I mean compressing (shrinking). I have two HTPCs set up (one of them has the combo LG HDDVD/Blu Ray), but also have a PCH A110 and SageTV HD200. All movies get saved on my HP MediaSmart Server. The big thing to figure out is if you want to encode/compress them or retain the original quality. The reason why I ask is because it is a completely different beast to encode HDDVD/Blu Rays vs. Standard DVDs. SD DVDs you can shrink in under an hour. Blu Ray/HD DVDs you need a powerful processor to encode down which can require 10-12hrs+ per movie (less time if running a core i7). If you simply just want to strip out all the garbage from an HD DVD/Blu Ray which will reduce the final movie file size (such as extra audio tracks, trailers, etc...) then using MakeMKV or Clown_BD with AnyDVD works great and takes maybe 30-60 minutes per movie.

The question about whether to encode/compress or not is purely personal preference. Best thing to do is to try encoding a movie and see if it is for you. The quality can still be great depending on your settings, just depends on how much time you are willing to spend.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/16937794

Yeah, when I say encode I mean compressing (shrinking). I have two HTPCs set up (one of them has the combo LG HDDVD/Blu Ray), but also have a PCH A110 and SageTV HD200. All movies get saved on my HP MediaSmart Server. The big thing to figure out is if you want to encode/compress them or retain the original quality. The reason why I ask is because it is a completely different beast to encode HDDVD/Blu Rays vs. Standard DVDs. SD DVDs you can shrink in under an hour. Blu Ray/HD DVDs you need a powerful processor to encode down which can require 10-12hrs+ per movie (less time if running a core i7). If you simply just want to strip out all the garbage from an HD DVD/Blu Ray which will reduce the final movie file size (such as extra audio tracks, trailers, etc...) then using MakeMKV or Clown_BD with AnyDVD works great and takes maybe 30-60 minutes per movie.

The question about whether to encode/compress or not is purely personal preference. Best thing to do is to try encoding a movie and see if it is for you. The quality can still be great depending on your settings, just depends on how much time you are willing to spend.

Thanks, Damian

I don't want to spend a lot of time on it. I'd rather buy more hard drives as needed

Will Clown and anydvd let me do movie only w/ hd audio in one step? (no subtitles)

thx

bob

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob /forum/post/16938520

Thanks, Damian

I don't want to spend a lot of time on it. I'd rather buy more hard drives as needed

Will Clown and anydvd let me do movie only w/ hd audio in one step? (no subtitles)

thx

bob

Yup, Clown_BD w/ AnyDVD will have you covered. See here for a Wiki I wrote on using Clown_BD

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob /forum/post/16940677

Nice guide! I hope it's that easy. Do you use a media player/streamer or HTPC?

thx

bob

Both. All media is stored on my HP Server and streamed from there. I use 2 HTPCs for most of my video playback, but also use the HD200/PCH A110 (both of which are media players).

·
Registered
4,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/16940697

Both. All media is stored on my HP Server and streamed from there. I use 2 HTPCs for most of my video playback, but also use the HD200/PCH A110 (both of which are media players).

What format do you rip to with clown so the media players will play them as described above?

Do you network the media players or play from HD?

thx

bob

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob /forum/post/16941200

What format do you rip to with clown so the media players will play them as described above?

Do you network the media players or play from HD?

thx

bob

Clown_BD rips to either .ts or m2ts. Doesn't really matter which one you choose, I have been using .ts because they use slightly less space then m2ts. Other movies though I will use MakeMKV and create an mkv file instead (VC-1 video in ts/m2ts struggles in W7 but not when put in mkv). Result is still the same.

All HTPCs and media players are networked via cat5e/Cat6. I have my son's movies saved on a HDD inside the PCH A-110, but that is meant for when we travel.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
How are you storing your SD DVDs? ISOs or are you encoding them as MKVs as well? I just built a new i7 system and my trial movie only took 30 mins to encode vs. the 12 hours it used to take. (using Handbrake) PQ is pretty good on SD, but haven't tried it on HD/BD.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc /forum/post/16943206

How are you storing your SD DVDs? ISOs or are you encoding them as MKVs as well? I just built a new i7 system and my trial movie only took 30 mins to encode vs. the 12 hours it used to take. (using Handbrake) PQ is pretty good on SD, but haven't tried it on HD/BD.

My standard dvds I keep in original format (Video_TS) although I have been starting to just move them to mkvs with MakeMKV (no encoding). The only standard dvds I encode are tv show box sets where I rip the individual episodes. For whatever reason I found my results encoding standard dvds inconsistent

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.