AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a HTPC (HP m9428f), which it has, among other things a blu-ray player. The video card is an nvidia 9300 ge with an hgmi output. I have hooked the htpc to a sony str-dg810 receiver. I am having trouble outputing anything but 2 channel audio when playing many of my blu-rays. My standard DVDs will output into DD 5.1. The blu-ray previews will as well, but the actual blu-ray movie will not. I believe the problem is that the blu-ray movie outputs Dolby TrueHD, which my receiver does not support. I believe this is the case because when I select in the blu-ray settings to output into French or Spanish DD 5.1, it works fine (other than the fact I don't speak those languages). Unfortunately, many of my blu-rays do not provide an English DD 5.1 option. However, I was reading that in theory Dolby TrueHD should work with older receivers and downconvert into DD 5.1.

Is there anyway that I can get my blu-rays to output into DD 5.1 instead of 2 channel stereo? I am currently using the HP DVD Play software that came with the computer (I believe it is a stripped down version of Cyberlink PowerDVD). I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD and still can not get it to work. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

· Registered
341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Pearce /forum/post/15410799

I have recently purchased a HTPC (HP m9428f), which it has, among other things a blu-ray player. The video card is an nvidia 9300 ge with an hgmi output. I have hooked the htpc to a sony str-dg810 receiver. I am having trouble outputing anything but 2 channel audio when playing many of my blu-rays. My standard DVDs will output into DD 5.1. The blu-ray previews will as well, but the actual blu-ray movie will not. I believe the problem is that the blu-ray movie outputs Dolby TrueHD, which my receiver does not support. I believe this is the case because when I select in the blu-ray settings to output into French or Spanish DD 5.1, it works fine (other than the fact I don't speak those languages). Unfortunately, many of my blu-rays do not provide an English DD 5.1 option. However, I was reading that in theory Dolby TrueHD should work with older receivers and downconvert into DD 5.1.

Is there anyway that I can get my blu-rays to output into DD 5.1 instead of 2 channel stereo? I am currently using the HP DVD Play software that came with the computer (I believe it is a stripped down version of Cyberlink PowerDVD). I have tried WinDVD and PowerDVD and still can not get it to work. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

It took me forever just to figure out how to get sound from my Mitsubishi HDTV from my PC. I am new to this whole PC stuff for HD. I do have a Dennon 5.1 system but could not figure out how to get the sound from the PC to the receiver. I tried using the red and white audio jacks just out of curiosity, but they didnt work. How do I get sound to my Dennon from my PC when it is connected to the TV via HDMI for video (and sound for now)?

· Registered
3 Posts
I just had a long battle with this. I am no expert but this is what I had to do. My system:

Dell 540s

ATI 3450 graphics card w/ hdmi

onboard 7.1 sound w/ S/PDIF

I had my computer hooked up via HDMI to my sony receiver. At that time it was only shown outputting 2 channel. After a long talk with dell support, it was said that my sound card does not support audio via HDMI. So here is what I did:

Hook the computer straight to the TV via HDMI. Bypassing the receiver.

Then hook a S/PDIF cable from the onboard sound card to the receiver.

This finally gave me 5.1 audio. I would much prefer to have it all hooked up via HDMI, but this will suffice for now.

On a side note, my sony receiver wont allow for S/PDIF audio when connected via HDMI, so thats why I had to bypass the receiver.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Pearce /forum/post/15413358

Yeah, I had no problem getting sound through the hdmi. My issue is that my receiver gets PCM 48 instead of dolby digital 5.1. (At least that is what is displayed on my receiver's indicator).

Your HDMI output for audio is essentially equal to SPDIF.

In any application that supports SPDIF output you should select spdif output.

Your HDMI output does 2 channel audio up to 24bit 192khz, but does no multichannel for PCM. It also can bitstream Dolby Digital and DTS audio that is pre-encoded.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/15417482

Your HDMI output for audio is essentially equal to SPDIF.

In any application that supports SPDIF output you should select spdif output.

I am a little confused. Doesn't SPDIF require a coaxial cable? I was trying to do it all through HDMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/15417482

Your HDMI output does 2 channel audio up to 24bit 192khz, but does no multichannel for PCM. It also can bitstream Dolby Digital and DTS audio that is pre-encoded.

I would be happy with Dolby Digital or DTS audio as that is all my receiver will support. My receiver says that I am receiving PCM 48 when playing blu-rays. When I play standard DVDs or select French 5.1 in Blu-Rays, it will display Dolby Digital 5.1. I am assuming this means that I am not getting Dolby Digital 5.1. Is that correct?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.