AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, been reading about the different options out there for HTPC. Ive had my current HTPC for 3.5 years, with a few upgrades but now looking to make a new build. Here's what Im looking for.

The HTPC is strictly that...no games.

Vista Media Center

Blu Ray Movie player/ripper

My question is this: Is there a motherboard that will do BOTH HDMI Video and Audio? Or do I have to do it with separate soundcard (heard about the new Auzentech X-FI Home Theater 7.1 HDMI 1.3 Combo card and Video card? Is this even possible at this time? Is there a new mobo coming out soon that might do these thing?

Also, will PowerDVD 7.3 send the DolbyHD/DTS HD signal over HDMI for receiver decoding? Thanks for your time.

Aceball

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll chime in with my setup. I output HDMI video/audio to an Onkyo 605 that sends the video to a Samsung HLS-5679W at 1080p/60.

Abit A-N78HD (GeForce 8200 board)

2GB DDR2-800

AMD X2 5000+ BE @ 3.0 GHz

LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo drive

Scythe Ninja Mini

Antec NSK2480 case /w power supply

Total cost ~ $550

I have a NAS to do all my storage so I just use a small HD in the computer itself.

Using PowerDVD8 Ultra with the HD-DVD hack I can playback HD-DVD, Blu-ray, all my TV shows and ripped DVDs perfectly. I don't know how PowerDVD 7.3 handles audio, I never used it after I had my current setup. There is nothing that can currently bitstream True-HD/DTS-MA to a receiver from a HTPC. I get 7.1 LCPM sent to my receiver although Vista wants to swap the side speakers with the rear speakers with some audio for some reason.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With the Abit A-N78HD, does the HDMI support video and audio? I don't have any sound equipment and would like to be able to plug that into my TV. Sorry for being a noob.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts