AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is some news in Japan Today that shows a pic of Sony's new Blu-Ray DVD HDTV Recorder.

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=product&id=571

If you've just made the move to DVD but heard the whispers that Blu-ray is set to send it to sleep with the dinosaurs (and Betamax VCRs), rest easy. Sony's world-first Blu-ray device is, for now, intended as an upscale complement, not a replacement.

Admittedly, the Blu-ray stats make DVD look a touch puny-23Gb per side and a much faster read/write rate-but the inclusion of a digital satellite tuner in the BDZ-S77 indicates the real goal. Digital television takes up vast amounts of data, and that's exactly what this machine loves, so recording high definition television (HDTV) at full quality is finally an option.

All we need now is for HDTV to win over more than a few hardcore fans.

BDZ-S77, Sony Corp

450,000 yen
http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/visual/bl...ex.cfm?B2=1325

September 9, 2003

· Registered
7,780 Posts
I was thinking the machine was a player only.

I wonder what that is in US$

Ted

· Premium Member
5,514 Posts
Ted:

Look for a package soon, the Blu-Ray is about $3700 US, I love the idea of recording to disc, but the main problem is the blank discs are $20 per pop.

Lon

· Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LJG
I thought this was released in Japan last April.

Lon
Was the info here in the forum? I tried to search for it before I posted it. But searching Blu-Ray was unable to find any results about a HDTV recorder.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LJG
Yes

Where? I am interested in this, and would love to read more posts.

Care to post some links?

Thanks in advanced

· Registered
3,733 Posts
i am not sure there was alot of info about it in the other thread really, though don't remember for sure. i think it was alot of speculation about it's arrival date here and what it's release meant for the hddvd standard that is being worked on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.