AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Onkyo HT-RC260, which will be providing 7.1 sound to a set of infinity beta speakers.

I already have an HTPC with a Geforce 9500 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130501 ), Video card. Before I got this receiver, I had been using a DVI-HDMI converter to get high def video to the TV, and taking the audio out separately to computer speakers. Now I want to integrate this system.

I will be getting a blu-ray player for the htpc soon - so I want to have 7.1 audio to the speakers and 1080 video. What is the best way to do this? Is it possible to have separate audio and video out (and not have to get a new video card?)

Or should I find some integrated card with integrated audio and video out on the same hdmi cable?

What will give me the best quality? My budget is probably $100-$150 if necessary - but if there is a cheaper way to do the same, I'll take it.

EDIT: One additional (not major) constraint - if it's a new video card, it must have a second component out to run a second monitor for normal (non-HTPC) work.

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
There's no need to spend that much money...

Here's one of the better options, and it's only $70:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161342

Explanation:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3601/t...deon-htpc-card
Quote:
Thus as far as we can tell, the 5570 is in fact the perfect Radeon HTPC card that we have been looking for. It’s the cheapest, smallest, and coolest running 5000-series card that can offer the full suite of post-processing abilities, and of course it has the 5000-series’s audio bitstreaming capabilities. Since the whole point of this exercise was to identify the lowest 5000-series card that was still perfect for HTPC use, we have found it. And the best part is it even fits in a low-profile case.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also - will the sound always travel out through the HDMI to the speakers - or would I have to also hook the audio card into the speakers separately - for instance, if I wanted to play music from the computer?

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyuokdea
Thanks!

What's the audio quality coming out of this - will it get better with higher end cards?

~Lyuokdea
No. Bitstreamed HD audio is identical, regardless of which card you use. "Bitstreamed" is synonymous with "untouched," so the card is doing nothing more than passing exactly what it reads from the bluray disc.

You'd get the same HD audio from any ATI 5xxx/6xxx series card... Or by using any other bitstreaming solution, for that matter.

Video is a different animal, which is why I recommended the 5570 model (or above).

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyuokdea
Also - will the sound always travel out through the HDMI to the speakers - or would I have to also hook the audio card into the speakers separately - for instance, if I wanted to play music from the computer?

~Lyuokdea
You would configure Windows to output any/all audio over HDMI by default.

However, you could also connect a second cable for analog output if you ever need to send the audio to a Zone 2 or 3 on your receiver. (Most low to mid range receivers only send analog sources to the extra zones). In those cases, you would have to manually go into the Windows control panel and switch output to the analog cable, and then switch it back to hdmi output when you're done using the other Zones.

Make sense?

(If you plan to only use a single zone setup in your home, you can pretty much ignore the entire second paragraph above).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes sense - I only need one zone.

However - for audio that is not bitstreamed (i.e. music files) - how will the sound coming from the video card over hdmi compare to if I hooked up a mid to high end audio card to the receiver on a different channel?

The same, or will one sound superior?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the 5570 - and for anybody else looking at this thread, there's a great deal on newegg now for $35 (after Mail in rebate):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6814102875 - listed at $69.99

For $20 Instant savings - use coupon code VGADEC003 = $49.99 at Checkout

Additional $15 MIR = $34.99 total price, with free shipping.

Next closest price on Google shopper is $70.00

~Lyuokdea

1 - 8 of 8 Posts