AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I soon will be adding a TV and Blu-ray player to my 2-channel stereo. I will not be upgrading to surround sound since my primary use for the stereo is music; listening to movies through it is just a bonus and I don't want any more speakers in my living room.

Video will be sent from BD to TV via HDMI. Considering I have a high-quality outboard 192/24 DAC, I won't be using any analog audio ouputs from the TV or BD. Still, I'm not sure of the best method to output digital audio:

If I send LPCM from BD's optical output to my DAC, won't there be lip sync issues since audio is now bypassing the television's processing? Or:

If I send LPCM from the TV's optical output, will Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA be downsampled from their original sampling rates?

Any suggestions (besides "Go buy an A/V receiver")?

Thanks!

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
you should probably output 2-ch PCM from the optical connection to the DAC (straight from the BDP). All hi-rez audio tracks have built-in instructions to create a lossless 2-ch downmix of the multich track, and optical/SPDIF is capable of hi-rez 2.0 PCM.

Configure the Blu-ray player to output PCM over optical / SPDIF (sometimes called "downmix PCM") and you will get a lossless 2.0PCM output via the optical connection.

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
I think the lip sync issues should be minimized if you configure the BD player to always output its video at the native resolution of the TV (1080p or 720p). If you do that, the TV won't have to do any scaling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts