AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the midst of establishing a BD rip, store, and playback work flow.

What's the best way to playback BD ISO on Mac OS?

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
What's the best way to playback BD ISO on Mac OS?

Most of us don't bother, because that would require an off-topic discussion of AnyDVD and other Windows software.

We use MakeMKV instead, granted with the core DTS or DD instead of Dolby TrueHD or DTS MasterHD, since that's not currently possible in OS X anyway.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can i use xbmc?

I have a mac mini early 2009, 2ghz, core2duo, 2 gb memory.. is that good enough for BD playback?

·
Registered
225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS650 /forum/post/18256642

can i use xbmc? I have a mac mini early 2009, 2ghz, core2duo, 2 gb memory.. is that good enough for BD playback?

If I'm not mistaken BR playback is not unlike DVD playback in which it requires a player app that has the correct 'know-how' to decode the protected content (I'm assuming you are talking about regular movies released on BR by the major studios).

Now, while DVD playback doesn't require Apples 'official' DVD player this is (mostly?) due to the fact that the technology used to protect DVDs was defeated very early on thanks to 'DVD Jon' as well as a fairly weak protection that was designed to 'protect' said dvd content...

I believe 'leaked' keys were also involved in the downfall of DVDs security. This whole history is likely available on some wiki or another...

BR having been developed after the DVD protection fiasco learned a thing or two and doesn't really have a single 'master-key' that is used to unlock the movie, instead it has multi-key system as well as a 'key-revocation' ability which makes developing an unsanctioned 'software player' a bit more of a challenge.

So as chefklc stated above, using MakeMKV to transcode (read as no loss of quality) is likely your best/only option until such a time as Apple gets around to producing a legal (licensed) player.

That being said... I would guess that the people responsible for MakeMKV has all the knowhow they need to roll out a standalone BR player... BUT releasing one would only cause the studios to react MUCH faster in disabling the keys MakeMKV utilizes to decode the BR content. After all MakeMKV couldn't do what it does if it didn't already possess the technology required to decode/unlock the movie data found on a BR disc.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Actually Make MKV has a streaming mode which will generate a web address that you can discover through Safari, which if opened in VLC will enable you to play a BD movie straight from the disk. It is cumbersome, but reportedly people are working on a Plex application to enable you to access the BD disk seamlessly through Plex. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylotto /forum/post/18258061

Actually Make MKV has a streaming mode which will generate a web address that you can discover through Safari, which if opened in VLC will enable you to play a BD movie straight from the disk. It is cumbersome, but reportedly people are working on a Plex application to enable you to access the BD disk seamlessly through Plex. Stay tuned.

Wow thats sweet to hear! Gotta love smart.ppl.net :lol:

D

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Apple's DVD Player application will play HD DVDs that I've authored in DVD Studio Pro, but I'm not sure if it'll do the same with Bluray DVDs.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Depends on the size of the BR to begin with, less than the actual commercial disc, though, since you're only getting the main feature. Here are a few I've ripped with MakeMKV: Dark City is 16GB, No Country for Old Men is 25GB, Black Hawk Down is 32GB, Kingdom of Heaven is 34GB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts