AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If members here are truly looking for the best HD source, then Blu-ray is it. But some here have a very negative attitude toward the format, to them I ask what is holding you back?


Players are no longer $1000 and we could be looking at sub $250 prices by the holiday. The format war is over.


I just want some honest answers, not your opinions why the format is going to fail. Is it still hardware price? software price? company X's involvement? burned already by HD DVD? downloading options? combination of these things?


Again I don't want a flame war here I just want some honest answers what you are waiting for and why?


But remember from a audio and video quality standpoint Blu-ray is the ultimate consumer format currently and nothing on the near horizon will approach it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore /forum/post/14175501


It's not going to "fail" or disappear. The question is how much of the market it will get. No one knows.


Do you have a player? If not, why?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,743 Posts
Yes, I have a player. Blu-ray is great and will be around for many years to come. It may not dominate the market like DVD did, but it isn't going away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
I'm not waiting, and I hear very few people are holding out at this point. I hear even former M$ engineers are buying players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,562 Posts
im waiting for $200 hardware. i may try out the cheapo magnavox, tho.

right now, there are only about 12 bd movies i have any interest in buying.

when all the 'space operas' come out then i'll change my 'tune'!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,655 Posts
I'm either waiting for the combo players remaining to drop sub-$300 OR for a Blu ray standalone player to drop to $200.


Below $200 was the magic price point that got me into an HD player, especially with 10 free movies to go along with that purchase.


I bought my first DVD player at sub $250 with 5 free movies back in the day.


While I enjoy my HDTV... it just isn't worth a big investment to me at this point when I consider that I'm seeing everything in HD via satellite anyway... and while I know Blu ray will be better than satellite, the cost difference just doesn't do it for me yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW /forum/post/14175425


If members here are truly looking for the best HD source, then Blu-ray is it. But some here have a very negative attitude toward the format, to them I ask what is holding you back?


Players are no longer $1000 and we could be looking at sub $250 prices by the holiday. The format war is over.


I just want some honest answers, not your opinions why the format is going to fail. Is it still hardware price? software price? company X's involvement? burned already by HD DVD? downloading options? combination of these things?


Again I don't want a flame war here I just want some honest answers what you are waiting for and why?


But remember from a audio and video quality standpoint Blu-ray is the ultimate consumer format currently and nothing on the near horizon will approach it.

I have a Blu Ray player, but I am renting around 5x as many HD movies on Apple TV than buying Blu Ray. For me it is selection and cost of software (or cost of the selection available)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,779 Posts
Technically, I waited until the format "war" was over (then bought an A2 and a bunch of HD DVDs at closeout prices!) before buying the Panny BD30. Price of the hardware wasn't an objection....I paid the full $499 and was glad to get it at the time, considering how scarce they became shortly thereafter.


All new titles I am buying are BD, and I've "double-dipped" already on some favorite SD DVD titles like I Robot and Independence Day.


Cost of BD disks isn't an objection either. By paying attention to sales, I am pretty satisfied with what I've been paying.


I'd buy more...but here's the catch: I have just about every title I want that's currently available. My desire is there, but there aren't enough selections at the moment. I know it will get better in time.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User /forum/post/14175548


I'm not waiting, and I hear very few people are holding out at this point. I hear even former M$ engineers are buying players.

Haven't seen any engineers here saying so but this executive has always owned BD. Indeed, I did the first review of Samsung BD player on AVS Forum (and perhaps anywhere). I have 5 BD players I think and 150+ movies.


Now, if you want me to be more positive beyond my pocketbook, quit snide remarks like this one. Stop fighting the members. Don't say you told everyone how the world of high def turns. People buy on emotion as much as logic. It is like the two of us were are war until last week, and you are asking me to live in next to you, while you call me names. You all doing more harm than good. Let Sony employees come and ask us why we don't buy. It is not your duty to do so.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW /forum/post/14175425


If members here are truly looking for the best HD source, then Blu-ray is it. But some here have a very negative attitude toward the format, to them I ask what is holding you back?


Players are no longer $1000 and we could be looking at sub $250 prices by the holiday. The format war is over.


I just want some honest answers, not your opinions why the format is going to fail. Is it still hardware price? software price? company X's involvement? burned already by HD DVD? downloading options? combination of these things?


Again I don't want a flame war here I just want some honest answers what you are waiting for and why?


But remember from a audio and video quality standpoint Blu-ray is the ultimate consumer format currently and nothing on the near horizon will approach it.

I was an early adopter of a CD player ($1000) and DVD player ($700) which would be double or more in $ today, but still have no blu ray, even though I upgrade large screen projectors every few years. Currently I will stay with an upscaling DVD player. Why? First, almost no range of content outside of hollywood teen and action, and heavy handed region control. Second, unreliability - so many demonstrations have been plagued by malfunctions, that never happened when I auditioned CD or DVD players. The constant need for firmware upgrades to fix problems is like an auto company having to issue recalls every year. I would not buy from such a company, and I never had to make a firmware upgrade to any CD or DVD player over its life, nevermind every year, even if it was a first generation player. No previous source player - CD or DVD - needed a noisy fan; I guess, as most blu ray buyers usually say, this is no problem considering that most of the material is teen or action with mostly loud noise or car chases throughout the movie - you just turn the sound up to cover the fan noise. There are now a couple of players with heat sinks instead of fans getting mixed reviews for reliability, but the outlook for diverse content and relaxed region control looks bleak. I hope things change soon.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,125 Posts
Well first off there aren’t enough titles to blow my skirt up, so I’ll wait a few more years and see how it goes. Its true prices have plummeted I mean you can pick up a SONY PS3 at Currys electricals UK for around £300 or under but I don’t like the look of the player I don’t like games and I was told it’s the fastest to load a Bluray movie up to it, while Bluray deck takes a bit of time?


I really can’t see myself buying PS3 just the name PS3 makes my skin crawl I, hate gaming, makes my skin crawl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,485 Posts
My jumping-in point remains the same as it's always been - a profile 2.0 player with analog outs that internally decodes audio codecs for under $250. I managed to find an HD DVD player that did that over a year ago, but there's no BD players on the horizon that will meet those essential qualifications at any where near that price point.


With that said, I did buy a PS3 during the Walmart $100 gift card promotional period. I haven't opened it up yet, and haven't decided if I'm going to keep it. Although it is 2.0 compliant, it doesn't have analog outs and the lack of IR compatibility are both significant negatives.


As far as all the other people I know (outside of this forum), they couldn't care less. I couldn't entice them with $99 HD DVD players (they all said they'd wait until they were cheaper -
), and they have little interest in Blu-ray.


Scott
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 /forum/post/14176811


My jumping-in point remains the same as it's always been - a profile 2.0 player with analog outs that internally decodes audio codecs for under $250. I managed to find an HD DVD player that did that over a year ago, but there's no BD players on the horizon that will meet those essential qualifications at any where near that price point.


With that said, I did buy a PS3 during the Walmart $100 gift card promotional period. I haven't opened it up yet, and haven't decided if I'm going to keep it. Although it is 2.0 compliant, it doesn't have analog outs and the lack of IR compatibility are both significant negatives.


As far as all the other people I know (outside of this forum), they couldn't care less. I couldn't entice them with $99 HD DVD players (they all said they'd wait until they were cheaper -
), and they have little interest in Blu-ray.


Scott

Thing that ticks me off about the format war is it could have been handled more delicately rather than trying to force it down our throats like George Lucas light-show. That’s why I’m still not in least bit interested in the format.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 /forum/post/14176811


My jumping-in point remains the same as it's always been - a profile 2.0 player with analog outs that internally decodes audio codecs for under $250. I managed to find an HD DVD player that did that over a year ago, but there's no BD players on the horizon that will meet those essential qualifications at any where near that price point.


With that said, I did buy a PS3 during the Walmart $100 gift card promotional period. I haven't opened it up yet, and haven't decided if I'm going to keep it. Although it is 2.0 compliant, it doesn't have analog outs and the lack of IR compatibility are both significant negatives.


As far as all the other people I know (outside of this forum), they couldn't care less. I couldn't entice them with $99 HD DVD players (they all said they'd wait until they were cheaper -
), and they have little interest in Blu-ray.


Scott

I have the PS3 but need another blu player for downstairs. This would be my point of further purchase as well and with the 2.0 spec. I see the new Sony S500 (1.1) is selling for $649 at Future Shop. That means the S550 will be around $700. That's a joke. I'll wait like you because quite frankly the movies are still very weak.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,125 Posts
I don’t see the format catching on I’ll give a few years at best before it goes under, just like that Philips format what was it called CDi?


As soon Lucas gets on the act with Bluray and all the rest of you Muppets can keep your sodden Bluray because I will not be milked over again by that double chin fat bloated little greedy git of a wanker!



He had my last £15.00 pounds a few years ago, that I managed to get changed over for another DVD because there was no way I was keeping that shameless episode IV of crap on the DVD shelf!


Yeah I bet he’ll never ever, ever will give you the 70mm six-track Dolby stereo version with the baby boom tracks, that double fat chin bloated little greedy git of a wanker!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm /forum/post/14176168


Haven't seen any engineers here saying so but this executive has always owned BD. Indeed, I did the first review of Samsung BD player on AVS Forum (and perhaps anywhere). I have 5 BD players I think and 150+ movies.


Now, if you want me to be more positive beyond my pocketbook, quit snide remarks like this one. Stop fighting the members. Don't say you told everyone how the world of high def turns. People buy on emotion as much as logic. It is like the two of us were are war until last week, and you are asking me to live in next to you, while you call me names. You all doing more harm than good. Let Sony employees come and ask us why we don't buy. It is not your duty to do so.....

I didn't mean to offend you, Amir. My only intention was to point out that almost everyone, including yourself, has gotten past the M$ vs Sony flamewars we used to have around here.


Also, was your second paragraph directed at me or the OP?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 /forum/post/14176811


My jumping-in point remains the same as it's always been - a profile 2.0 player with analog outs that internally decodes audio codecs for under $250. I managed to find an HD DVD player that did that over a year ago, but there's no BD players on the horizon that will meet those essential qualifications at any where near that price point.


With that said, I did buy a PS3 during the Walmart $100 gift card promotional period. I haven't opened it up yet, and haven't decided if I'm going to keep it. Although it is 2.0 compliant, it doesn't have analog outs and the lack of IR compatibility are both significant negatives.


As far as all the other people I know (outside of this forum), they couldn't care less. I couldn't entice them with $99 HD DVD players (they all said they'd wait until they were cheaper -
), and they have little interest in Blu-ray.


Scott

There is a $10 item you can add to the PS3 to allow it to be used with an IR remote (and even comes with an IR remote). It takes up a USB port. Yes, it sucks that its not built in, but PS3 as a blu-ray player is extremely good. The sound limitation is a bummer, but you can always enjoy blu-ray until player prices come down... when that time comes you can sell your PS3 if you find no other use for it. Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
I'm dissatisfied with the HDTVs for sale right now. I don't like any of the plasmas, and what happened to local-dimming LCDs? I'm not in any hurry to buy a HD player, especially BluRay, because I hate everything Sony since the rootkit debacle.


I'm hoping that when I finally buy a HDTV some other alternative will be available for HD media besides BD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad /forum/post/14177134


There is a $10 item you can add to the PS3 to allow it to be used with an IR remote (and even comes with an IR remote). It takes up a USB port. Yes, it sucks that its not built in, but PS3 as a blu-ray player is extremely good. The sound limitation is a bummer, but you can always enjoy blu-ray until player prices come down... when that time comes you can sell your PS3 if you find no other use for it. Just a thought.

Yeah, I know about the Blu Wave remote, but from what I've read, it only gives you partial functionality (without having to go into the PS3 menu systems), making it a kluge. Why they didn't toss in a $2 IR port, but still wanted it market it as a media-center, is beyond me.


The audio problem is more significant.


I miss watching new movies in HD. The PS3 is $50 over my self-imposed (OK, partially wife-imposed, also) limit, but doesn't allow me to take full advantage of my sound system. I think I have 90 days to decide if I want to return it. That's about the same time frame that the summer blockbusters will start hitting BD.


Scott
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top