AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
It depends on viewing distance. The smaller the screen, the closer you need tobe to see a difference. For example, I have a 52" screen and sit about 12 feet away. At that size, I can see a clear difference, and my screen only does 1080i, not 1080p. With a 32" screen, I would think you'd want to be about 8 feet from the screen. Upconverted DVD will look good, but Blu-Ray will look like a fine grain photograph.

If you never get the Blu-Ray player, you may never regret it. But speaking for myself, if there's a Blu-Ray offering for a movie, I won't buy the DVD, only the Blu-Ray.

But if I was sitting 24 feet from the 52" screen, I probably wouldn't see much difference.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLock /forum/post/16925023

Is Blu-Ray a worthwhile investment for a 32" HDTV, or is the screen small enough where Blu-Ray and up-converted DVD would be running pretty close at average viewing distances?

Waste of time. Need a better TV to see any real gain.

·
Registered
27,351 Posts
BLu Ray is almost a waste on my 58" plasma from a typical viewing distance.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I can easily see the difference with a Sony 32" LCD at 6-8 feet viewing distance. For that matter I think it's obvious enough on my 23 inch set though that set sits 3 feet from my seat at the computer.

Blu Ray resolution is only one of it's advantages, sonically it's a no contest solution if you have a surround system, color resolution and contrast is significantly better for BR than upconversions.

I guess this is still all YMMV and the only way to know is to try it out in your situation. Some people are far more sensitive to variations, sets are calibrated differently, viewing distance and lighting are all individual issues that can change the answer. My wife still claims to not be able to tell much difference is VHS and DVD and cares little for the diff b/w SD and HD.

·
Registered
27,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect60 /forum/post/16925742

I can easily see the difference with a Sony 32" LCD at 6-8 feet viewing distance. For that matter I think it's obvious enough on my 23 inch set though that set sits 3 feet from my seat at the computer.

Blu Ray resolution is only one of it's advantages, sonically it's a no contest solution if you have a surround system, color resolution and contrast is significantly better for BR than upconversions.

I guess this is still all YMMV and the only way to know is to try it out in your situation. Some people are far more sensitive to variations, sets are calibrated differently, viewing distance and lighting are all individual issues that can change the answer. My wife still claims to not be able to tell much difference is VHS and DVD and cares little for the diff b/w SD and HD.

Easily? Check the calibration settings on your DVD player... and regarding sound, forget about noticing an improvement unless you are into an expensive rig. Lossless is only modestly better than lossless.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr /forum/post/16925545

Waste of time. Need a better TV to see any real gain.

Is that so? Now this is what I call, shooting from the hip.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, the answer is yes, there is a difference BUT the difference decreases as you sit further back. But if you have an HDTV of any size, Blu-ray is a good investment. On my 32" Samsung TV, I see a big difference, but I sit in the front row so I can see as much detail as possible. Even sitting far away, I can see a difference, but it's not as big as when watching in the front row.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/16925696

BLu Ray is almost a waste on my 58" plasma from a typical viewing distance.

oh puhhlease thebland...youve made some pretty controversial posts on here before but that one plain makes no sense....bluray is a huge difference over 480i DVD on ANY set...there simply is no comparison betwen 480i master and 1080p24master...period...especially on newer movies recorded on more technologically advanced equipment than before.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Quote:

i can easily see the difference with a sony 32" lcd at 6-8 feet viewing distance. For that matter i think it's obvious enough on my 23 inch set though that set sits 3 feet from my seat at the computer.

Blu ray resolution is only one of it's advantages, sonically it's a no contest solution if you have a surround system, color resolution and contrast is significantly better for br than upconversions.

I guess this is still all ymmv and the only way to know is to try it out in your situation. Some people are far more sensitive to variations, sets are calibrated differently, viewing distance and lighting are all individual issues that can change the answer. My wife still claims to not be able to tell much difference is vhs and dvd and cares little for the diff b/w sd and hd.

+1

I think the reason for these mixed replies is because different BDs vary in quality. With some BDs, you'll be a bit disappointed because some are DNRed too much or are just low budget movies that don't look very good in HD. But there are others that look simply astounding. If the OP were to buy a Blu-ray player, I'd suggest that he/she visit this thread and buy one of the Tier 0 titles.

·
Registered
513 Posts

Quote:

I also agree with you. I've watched lots and lots of dvds and blu-rays on 32" lcd tvs and there is a very noticeable difference. Much better picture. It would definitely be worth it to get a blu-ray player especially since prices have started to drop.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle /forum/post/16927078

I think the reason for these mixed replies is because different BDs vary in quality.

Truer words were never spoken. I have a few Blu-Ray movies that were originally released as black and white movies in the 1950s. The image quality is understandably lower than what the format is capable of reproducing.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:

Is Blu-Ray a worthwhile investment for a 32" HDTV, or is the screen small enough where Blu-Ray and up-converted DVD would be running pretty close at average viewing distances?

Vertical screen height for a 32" 16x9 set is about 20". If we assume your hdtv is 1080 line, and that you have 20/20 vision, your standard viewing distance from the screen is 60" (3 x vertical height). If your set is only 720, your vision is worse than 20/20, or you sit further away, you will get less benefit from whatever Blu Ray claims as an improvement over up-converted DVD.

Of course, things will get more complicated in the future!

·
Banned
440 Posts

Quote:

If you are happy with your TV size I don't see a problem IMHO. I am NOT an expert NOR claim to be one. Blu-ray is definitely superior to SD DVD. Again if you are happy with a modest Blu-ray player to match your TV then go for it. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/16927046

Easily? Check the calibration settings on your DVD player... and regarding sound, forget about noticing an improvement unless you are into an expensive rig. Lossless is only modestly better than lossless.

Easily on the 32 inch -- absolutely final answer. You may not be able to (can't prove that you can't), my wife may not care, but to me it is quite easy to tell the difference b/w BD and DVD on a PS3 as well as Panasonic DVD and BD players (both separately and via the BR player).

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Here's a rough guide to knowing when various resolutions are beneficial based on screen size and viewing distance. With a 32" set and viewing distance over 9' all resolutions are going to look the same. At 9' the benefits of 720p can start to be seen and are completely visible around 6'. 6' is also where the benefits of 1080p can start to be seen and are completely seen around 4'. This is in regards only to resolution and does not take into account color space differences, mastering/transfer, along with the quality of scaling of the DVD source.

I have a BD player on a 37" 720p display in our bedroom, viewed at around 10'. I can not see a difference in BD and scaled DVD, and this is with pretty mediocre scaling. The only reason I have a BD player in this room is for compatibility and because it was a hand-me-down from the main theater.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
For some reason, when making the jump to Blu-ray, the difference will not pop out at you right away like DVDs did. But when you start watching different Blu-ray movies for a while, you'll start to notice a lot more detail in the picture and you'll never want to watch another DVD again.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts