AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Ok I know watching blu-ray on a SD Projector (800x600) is a waste, but I know that the colour will be better than dvd and the image will be abit more clearer than dvd. Im planning on buying a SD Projector soon but wanted to check with you all if the blu-ray will playback properly because my friend tried playing a hd-dvd on his xbox at 480p and though the movie played fine, every now and again there would be these lines that would appear across the screen for a split second, sort of looked like deinterlace lines...

So Im wondering will I get this same effect when playing blu-ray on a SD PJ...

Thanks for your time and I appreciate your advise on this.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I ran both HD DVD and Blu-ray for more than two years on a projector with similar resolution. There was a big difference between DVD and Hi-Def even on this non-HD projector. The PQ was still very good on my projector.

I say go for it and upgrade when a better deal comes along. You will be getting better than DVD quality out of that 800x600 projector.

Also play around with the output resolutions of your player, let the projector downscale instead of upscale the image.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Why buy an sd PJ when you can get a 720p for $600 to $700?

You can even achieve 576p with a 1024x768 for

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a 16x9 SD projector (854x480) and can also verify there's a noticable improvement with HD material over my best DVDs.

But I'll echo what the previous poster mentioned. If I were buying a projector today, for the minimal price bump, one can easily move to 720p and a true 16x9 display. Unlike smaller displays, with front projection every bit of resolution makes a BIG difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.