AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and could not find an answer and I am a little curious about something.

In may (before the most recent huge price reductions in HDTVs
) I purchased a 42in Panasonic Plasma HDTV (42px60u or something like that). This HDTV displays 1080i/720p, but not 1080p.

About a month ago I picked up a PS3. And over the last week I have purchased 2 Blu Ray movies (Terminator 2 and Goodfellas).

My question is, what resolution am I seeing these movies in?

Blu Ray players playback at a true 1080p signal.

My TV's max is 1080i.

On the back of the Blu Ray box I see some specs and the movies indicate that they are available in 1080p, and optionally in 480p and 480i. I see no mention of 1080i, or 720p.

So my PS3 reads the signal and sends to my HDTV (through HDMI) a 1080p signal.

What does my HDTV do? Does it interlace the signal and show me 1080i? This seems odd since I have read that even interlaced signals are shown in progressive scan with half the frames per second (30 instead of 60)... that HDTVs typically won't draw lines 1-3-5-7 then 2-4-6-8 but combine an interlace signal into 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 at 30fps... but if the HDTV is already receiving that signal would it really break it down into interlace and recombine it into progressive?

Or, is my HDTV, not recognizing a true 1080p signal, showing me a 480p picture, the other optional format on the movies I purchased?

And finally, my HDTV has only 768 lines of vertical resolution anyway, which makes me wonder why does my TV even support 1080i? With 768 lines of vertical resolution wouldn't it be best to see a 720p signal (720 lines, 60 frames per second) than a 1080i signal (1080 lines of which I have only 768, yet just 30 frames per second)?

·
Banned
515 Posts
Your TV accepts a 1080i signal, but downconverts it to 720P, which is its native, and only resolution. As I understand it, as long as your set accepts 1080i you should be set. The internal scaler in your TV should take the 1080i image and downrez it to 720P for display on your tv.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read that about downconverting everything to native resolution (720p for me).

I understand that my TV will downconvert 1080i. My real question is will it do the same to 1080p signals, which is what the Blu Ray transmits to my TV (I do use an HDMI cable to connect my PS3 to my TV).

I presume that it does.

Thanks for the input

·
Banned
515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjaks /forum/post/0

I read that about downconverting everything to native resolution (720p for me).

I understand that my TV will downconvert 1080i. My real question is will it do the same to 1080p signals, which is what the Blu Ray transmits to my TV (I do use an HDMI cable to connect my PS3 to my TV).

I presume that it does.

Thanks for the input

np, enjoy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.