1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry Ken H, I couldn't wait...

As Ken put it, with one edit...

"Very simple question. No explanations required."

"If you are an owner of a Blu-ray player, are you pleased with the purchase or not?"

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I like the player a lot, so I'm keeping it. I blame the problems mostly on the software.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Definitely keeping it until I see how the Lionsgate titles pan out next week. If they are a significant improvement, I'll keep it; otherwise, I'll return the Samsung and wait for the Sony.

The player itself is very good, imo, it's just the current titles (with one exception) that don't deliver acceptable PQ.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
No, it is out of here, simply because I can't get this baby to synch with my projector (Optoma H78). Will be bringing it back and getting another Blu-ray player from Sony or Pioneer.

If I didn't have a synch problem, I would likely keep it just because I am here for the long haul. I kept the Toshiba HD-A1 with all its cavets, and I would have done the same with the Samsung.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'll keep mine until it can be replaced by a better one...then I'll move it to the bedroom system.There's a lot I like about it, and I'm hoping they'll get their software act together. In the meantime, I won't be buying any discs...just renting.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv
Definitely keeping it until I see how the Lionsgate titles pan out next week. If they are a significant improvement, I'll keep it; otherwise, I'll return the Samsung and wait for the Sony.

The player itself is very good, imo, it's just the current titles (with one exception) that don't deliver acceptable PQ.
You are now waiting till October for the Sony. Hopefully they can make some improvements to the unit, but who will buy it with the PS3 less than 30 days away?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO
I'll keep mine until it can be replaced by a better one...then I'll move it to the bedroom system.There's a lot I like about it, and I'm hoping they'll get their software act together. In the meantime, I won't be buying any discs...just renting.
What exactly do you like about it from a video perspective?

·
Banned
6,469 Posts
I voted it's outa here! until I read that Sony may postpone their release till Oct :mad:

So, I guess I'll keep it till the 30 days release and see if there is anything else on the horizon. Definitely not buying any more mpeg-2 BD disks! :eek:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I took it back after 2 days. I bought 4 BD's so I'm still considering giving the Pioneer Elite a shot when it comes out, but I just couldn't justify keeping the Samsung when I considered what I'm getting from the Toshiba at half the price.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm pleased with mine. The only issues I have so far is that one can't step backwards frame by frame on BD discs. And one can only change output resolutions through the menus and not with a button on the remote. The player does a great job upconverting the King Kong DVD. PQ looks almost as good as the Underworld: Evolution BD.

I'm sticking with BD because of the potential for 8-layered discs and the possibility of storing movies with little or no compression.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEagle
I'm pleased with mine. The only issues I have so far is that one can't step backwards frame by frame on BD discs. And one can only change output resolutions through the menus and not with a button on the remote. The player does a great job upconverting the King Kong DVD. PQ looks almost as good as the Underworld: Evolution BD.

I'm sticking with BD because of the potential for 8-layered discs and the possibility of storing movies with little or no compression.

Can you give a link to the potential of 8 layered discs? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Quote:
Wow :D

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Wow, impressive!! :D

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Considering the difficulty Sony is having with their DL production, 8 layer disks are probably not a reality anytime soon. We'll probably be on gen 2 of holographic disks before that happens.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Quote:

Are you kidding me?

1 - 20 of 196 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.