AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought my first Blu-ray DVD player (insignia) and I'm blown away by it's awesome picture on wife's Toshiba 32 inch Widescreen TV. But my living room Hitachi 51 inch projection HDTV (2003) displays a fuzzy picture. It's better that standard DVD but not as good as the Toshiba's picture.

The Hitachi projection is using a HDMI to DVI cable as an input from the Blu-Ray player. I know that I get a better picture cause I watch the news with OTA digital 1080i broadcast and it's a very sharp picture.

My question is .... is the Hitachi obsolete now and does not understand HDMI cable or is it the cable that could be bad?

·
Registered
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_M /forum/post/14288755

I've just bought my first Blu-ray DVD player (insignia) and I'm blown away by it's awesome picture on wife's Toshiba 32 inch Widescreen TV. But my living room Hitachi 51 inch projection HDTV (2003) displays a fuzzy picture. It's better that standard DVD but not as good as the Toshiba's picture.

The Hitachi projection is using a HDMI to DVI cable as an input from the Blu-Ray player. I know that I get a better picture cause I watch the news with OTA digital 1080i broadcast and it's a very sharp picture.

My question is .... is the Hitachi obsolete now and does not understand HDMI cable or is it the cable that could be bad?

Umm...not familiar with the Hitachi. Maybe someone else can offer suggestions for settings, etc....but in the mean time, maybe try component?

·
Read the FAQ!
35,739 Posts
Many DVI TVs do not play well with "automatic" HDMI to DVI setup. Double check the settings the player is using to talk to your DVI TV. The player may be sending out 480p for example. You should be able to manually override that sort of thing in the player.

Also, Hitachi rear projection TVs from the DVI era do not particularly like 720p input. So make sure the player is sending 1080i (or 1080p if the set will accept it).

--Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts