AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there much/any benefit to running a Blu-Ray on a 720p plasma ? How much better would a 1080p plasma show a Blu-Ray ?

And what about a 1080i (I think those are LCD's, not plasma) ?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
.. from reading here, i'm not sure you'll notice a diff., depends on size of set & seating distance. if ~6ft, probably so. If Spidey-man

member Randy, i think its a city block.

Hitachi have the non True-HD plasma's that are 1080i.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's a huge difference between bluray and DVD, even on a 720P set. Wider color gaumet and sharper picture are two of the major differences. A 1080P plasma will of course, be a little sharper with bluray. Do a search for "720P vs 1080P" and look through all the debates and great info. I've got a sony bluray player and a 720P Pioneer Elite plasma, and I'm still floored everytime I pop a bluray in. I can barely stand to watch a standard dvd anymore. I've been spoiled.

·
Registered
497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatornavy25 /forum/post/14249179

There's a huge difference between bluray and DVD, even on a 720P set. Wider color gaumet and sharper picture are two of the major differences. A 1080P plasma will of course, be a little sharper with bluray. Do a search for "720P vs 1080P" and look through all the debates and great info. I've got a sony bluray player and a 720P Pioneer Elite plasma, and I'm still floored everytime I pop a bluray in. I can barely stand to watch a standard dvd anymore. I've been spoiled.

+1

The quality of the source material is the most important factor in achieving excellent picture quality. Right now, BD is the most pristine source you can send to your plasma. A well mastered blu-ray disc will look significantly better than its DVD counterpart even on a 720p TV.

If you decide to upgrade to a 1080p television, the amount of visible benefit will depend on your viewing distance and the quality of the TV to which you upgraded. If you go with a bargain basement 1080p set, the overall picture quality might look worse.

EDIT: The only 1080i native sets are CRTs and some Hitachi plasmas. Don't worry about 1080i sets unless you're planning on buying an HD CRT.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Check out what Home Theater Magazine says about the Pioneer 5080HD 720p plasma here .

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've been using a Vizio 42" LCD TV (read: total crap) for almost a year, and when I got my PS3 in March with some Blu-rays it was still a huge difference. I highly recommend it, up-converted DVD is nice if it's all you have but it still doesn't compare.

Don't forget that Blu-ray movies also feature high definition SOUND! If you have a receiver and speakers which can take advantage of it it makes a great difference, and if you don't... get some!

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth42 /forum/post/14250686

Will a Blu Ray DVD look better than a standard DVD when viewed on a 1080p upconvert player and 1080p plasma ?

Blu-ray disc is encoded w/HD formats: 1080i/1080p and played back on Blu-ray devices only, SD upconverting DVD players cannot play Blu-ray disc.

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth42 /forum/post/14250686

Will a Blu Ray DVD look better than a standard DVD when viewed on a 1080p upconvert player and 1080p plasma ?

I should hope so. DVD = garbage in...

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk /forum/post/14250748

What? Where did you read this?

.. waiter, where's my 'omelet' !!

i see you've been w/ the AVS family for some time & your posts count appears to show you know (assumption) about different features provided w/ being a member. The 'search' tool is one such feature.

but, my past few months being a member I've scoured the diff. threads/posts & with the collective thoughts of others, my post was taken from what i'd taken in. So, after using the search tool, i was able to pull up a thread that seems tuned to the topic:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...+1080p+blu-ray

·
Registered
408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk /forum/post/14250748

What? Where did you read this?

I'm pretty sure they meant it's tough to discern a difference between 720p and 1080p.

It's much easier to tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray, imo.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloFellow13 /forum/post/14251404

I'm pretty sure they meant it's tough to discern a difference between 720p and 1080p.

It's much easier to tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray, imo.

Makes sense to me. There is a BIG difference between SD & HD, but with HD content, 720p versus 1080p, those differences w/image resolution/detail are rather small to begin with and virtually impossible to distinguish between for sub-60" displays if/when sitting ~10' or more away from the screen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts