AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to think all Blu-ray movies are widescreen 1920 x 1080. Well, I was wrong. I got TMT3 and PowerDVD9 and they don't let me ZOOM the Blu-ray movies that don't have 1920x1080 aspect ratios like the Pixar CARS (2.4:1). When I play Pixar CARS using TMT3 or PowerDVD, I see black bars on top and bottom (I think the black bars are part of the movie because these programs report the movie information as 1920x1080). Which player would let me ZOOM to fill the screen (i.e., without the black bars)?

THANKS for any info

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Read through this website to get a little understanding of aspect ratio's and what you would be missing by zooming. You could always use your TV controls to zoom .

·
Registered
981 Posts
Almost all blu-ray discs have 16:9 framing with a 2.3/2.4:1 aspect ratio. This means they are authored to fit a standard wide-screen TV, but with an aspect that maintains the original 'wide' cinema release, which means you get the black bars top and bottom. This means that while they have a total vertical resolution of 1080 pixels, you'll actually only get 700 or so in the visible picture. Horizontal resolution will be 1920 pixels though.

If you want to 'zoom' this to full screen, it will not only look horrible, but you will also lose picture from the left and right hand sides of the image, effectively turning the disc into a pan and scan movie.

Personally, on a large enough screen, the black bars don't bother me personally. Smaller screens might be a problem though.

Certain blu-rays are authored with 16:9 framing, 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 aspect format though (a lot of animated movies are like this), when you will get full screen HD (at full HD res).

The ideal wat to acheive what you want is to get a 21:9 aspect TV, but there's only one available I'm aware of (a Philips). I think there should be more out later this year though.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_zk_z /forum/post/18276745

I used to think all Blu-ray movies are widescreen 1920 x 1080. Well, I was wrong. I got TMT3 and PowerDVD9 and they don’t let me ZOOM the Blu-ray movies that don’t have 1920x1080 aspect ratios like the Pixar CARS (2.4:1). When I play Pixar CARS using TMT3 or PowerDVD, I see black bars on top and bottom (I think the black bars are part of the movie because these programs report the movie information as 1920x1080). Which player would let me ZOOM to fill the screen (i.e., without the black bars)?

THANKS for any info…

Movies are filmed according to the director's choice; they used to be 1.33:1, then 1.78:1, 1.85:1 and now 2.35:1 as well as 2.4:1.

Television sets and other displays used to be 1.33:1 and now are 1.78:1.

Blu-Ray format is standardized at 1.78:1.

So if the material is filmed at anything other than the display's native format, there will be empty space with no information. This space is filled with black, so to speak and is part of the information.

If the entire information is wished to be viewed, there will always be black bars (for other aspect ratios), no matter what you do. If you zoom in (like some of my acquaintances), you lose information, plain and simple.

On 1.78:1 displays, black bars will be on the sides for 1.33:1 material and on the top & bottom for any material higher than 1.78:1.

The Philips built 2.35:1 TV was made exclusively for Europe (afaik) and never meant to be sold in the US at this time (this may have changed though). It is very expensive though, as can be expected. And the black bars will still be there for any material other than 2:35:1.

You can't escape them, lol!

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You can tell the OP is new to Aspect ratio and technical terms when they call it "black bars"

It's not just a black bar, it's letterbox or with the vertical ones they're called "pillarbox"

Do yourself a favor and learn to deal with it, you'll begin enjoying movies a lot more when they are in full res and not zoomed.

If you can't learn to deal with it, buy a tv so big that you wouldn't notice; like a 65" or so.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to DJWikiera, tman247, hirent, and pheare for the useful information. I have been thinking to get a Panasonic AE4000U or much bigger LCD TV (bigger than my present 42" one). I love to get a projector but I also need to keep the room dark for it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/18279599

With a PJ, only one way to go:

Anamorphic Lens

Once you go AL, nothing else will compare!

In fact, now I prefer all movies to be made in 2.35:1 instead of 1.78:1, gives me a huge screen.

i have a 2:35:1 screen and i use the powered zoom on my projector to set the width of the image. the screen has a wide blackout on top and bottom.

this powered zoom with blackouts top and bottom with blackout drapes works so well i never thought an al was worth the $/hassle.

basically, the height of the image is kept constant with the power zoom and the drapes adjust the width of the screen even down to 4:3.

works for me.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverjg /forum/post/18284020

i have a 2:35:1 screen and i use the powered zoom on my projector to set the width of the image. the screen has a wide blackout on top and bottom.

this powered zoom with blackouts top and bottom with blackout drapes works so well i never thought an al was worth the $/hassle.

basically, the height of the image is kept constant with the power zoom and the drapes adjust the width of the screen even down to 4:3.

works for me.

hmm....that works too!

I have a DIY lens made using two prisms, poor man's CIH setup.

You should try it, its an investment of ~ $125 but adds a whole new dimension to movie watching.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts