AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any Blu-Ray players have a Delay setting for delaying the sound a certain # of milliseconds to ensure that the picture and sound are in sync, in terms of LIP SYNC?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
None that I have seen. Doesnt your HDMI receiver have a delay?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
So are you using analog audio or Optical? I think Audio Alchemy makes a delay box for optical/coax digital that has fine tuning adjustment to dial it in exactly to your taste.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Wait so you dont even have a player and you think it will automatically have lip-sync issues before you buy it

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My tv has a history of lip sync issues ( Samsung HLR-5078w) and my current player (Oppo) has audio delay function. Im just trying to plan ahead.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When the audio and video take different paths (when using a receiver for audio for instance) it sometimes takes longer to process the video (especally when upconverting anything) and the audio gets played ahead of the picture.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Eldridge /forum/post/12943204

Your receiver has audio delay according to this review.

LINK

The delay that the review is refering to is only used to setup the distance that the speakers are from the tv. thanks for trying though

·
Registered
20 Posts
I see this person's question never got answered; I also would like to know if there are any blu-ray players with builtin audio delay settings.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman /forum/post/12943021

So are you using analog audio or Optical? I think Audio Alchemy makes a delay box for optical/coax digital that has fine tuning adjustment to dial it in exactly to your taste.

That thing costs as much as an entire receiver with HDMI switching and audio delay support.

·
Registered
330 Posts
This was a concern for me when I started researching TVs early last year. It seems to me that the main culprit in this trend is the delay introduced by video processing in modern LCD TVs. The video can take substantially longer to display and, if there's no way to delay the audio, you end up with audio sync issues.

I decided that it made sense to get a new HDMI AVR (there were other reasons I needed one). It turns out that I may not have had problems after all because I ended up buying a DLP RPTV, but I've been very happy with my new Denon 1909.

If it's at all feasible, I would suggest that upgrading to an HDMI-capable AVR is the way to go. I got my Denon from J&R for a great price, but the Yamaha 663 (?) and the Onkyo 606 (?) can be had for a very reasonable price. The auto-sync feature is one of many reasons to consider an upgrade.

·
Registered
734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreen200 /forum/post/12942737

Do any Blu-Ray players have a Delay setting for delaying the sound a certain # of milliseconds to ensure that the picture and sound are in sync, in terms of LIP SYNC?

I have just received my Lipfix/Felston DD740 digital audio delay box

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=dd...ient=firefox-a

- works perfectly. 4 separate inputs, 9 preset delays per input, selectable by it's own remote control.

I have had to delay the audio by 160ms in one instance for it to synch properly.

I run a Panny BD35> to Panny TH50PZ850A via HDMI, and the BD35 > Yamaha DSP-A1 via optical.

Results,

The Police Certifiable BD (60P) doesn't need much delay, eg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts